RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2019

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Update: You can no longer vote for the GOTY 2019.

Here is your chance to vote in our yearly Game of the Year Awards for the best RPG in 2019 and most anticipated game in 2020. You can vote for the best, runner up and third best (or most anticipated) game. In total our GOTY consists of making 6 choices. If you feel you do not have anything to select you can select no game. If you select the same game multiple times, your entire vote will be invalidated.

The lists are based on games that in one way or the other got covered at RPGWatch. The resulting list for the Game of the Year 2019 is derived from a much longer list, which has been reduced in length in cooperation with our forum members. You might feel that some games should (not) be on these lists for some reason. If you feel heart-broken over our decisions, don't vote for those games or don't vote at all and discuss it on our forums if you like. More information on how we got to these shorter lists can be found here and here.

Note that voting is restricted to registered users only and those with at least 10 posts.

More information.

• Disco Elysium
  • The Outer Worlds
  • Phoenix Point

• Cyberpunk 2077
  • Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2
  • Wasteland 3

1. Greedfall
  2. The Outer Worlds
  3. none

1. Cyberpunk 2077
  2. Realms Beyond
  3. Wasteland 3

I barely knew most of the games. Google revealed they were mostly turn based games which indicated why. Certainly enough of them that came out, and are coming out, to keep even the diehard TB fans happy.

Luckily the two games I enjoyed in 2019 were on the list. The third I voted for was simply because it was the only other game I had played on the list besides the first two. While I didn't finish it I thought it was cute with fun graphics It is turn based but the type of old school style meant that was the only way it could be - and oddly enough I enjoyed it that way.

2019:

1. Greedfall
2. The Outer Worlds
3. Operencia: The Stolen Sun

Far harder for 2020. Gheesh I guess I best hunker down for the next year with Pathfinder, FO4, and Skyrim based on that list! 2077 I do want to play although higher on my list is the new Pathfinder game and the Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood, neither on the list so guess that's 2021 for those.

Picked the three games I at least recognized and I am sure I will enjoy 2077 even if no third person sucks tea bags.

2020:

1. 2077
2. Waylanders*
3. Vampires: Bloodline 2 (more interested in WW's but did enjoy the other ones)

*(RTwP, seems to have potential. Could suck or could become a new favorite ... I just can't tell from what I have seen so far so I listed it second since I have seen a lot more about 2077)

Best RPG in 2019:
Disco Elysium
The Outer Worlds
Greedfall

Most anticipated game in 2020:
Cyberpunk 2077
Realms Beyond
Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms

None
None
None
-----------------
Realms Beyond
None
None

There's probably some more that I'm looking forward to, I just haven't noticed them yet, I'll probably get more interested in some of them as they approach release and more detailed details emerge.

I actually played none of these games except for Outward, but I'd hardly call it a GOTY material. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but I suspect games from this list that I'm going to play in the next year or two (Greedfall, The Outer Worlds, Disco Elysium, The Sinking City...) would be much better. I also can't vote for those since I didn't play them. I'm usually a year or two behind, sometimes more.

As for most anticipated games my picks are:
1. Cyberpunk 2077
2. Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2
3. Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

(…) Far harder for 2020 (..)

I think the opposite. I could easily have added another three or four most anticipated games for 2020 in my list above (see post #2): Knights of the Chalice 2, Realms Beyond, Waylanders and the System Shock Remake. Heck, I could even add Copper Dreams to this list too.

Dark Envoy ?

I think the opposite. I could easily have added another three or four most anticipated games for 2020 in my list above (see post #2): Knights of the Chalice 2, Realms Beyond, Waylanders and the System Shock Remake. Heck, I could even add Copper Dreams to this list too.

Only played a few hours of greedfall for 2019 so i cant really vote.

As for most anticipated that list looks pretty poor for my interests. I’m only looking forward to elden ring and it’s not on the list so no vote there either.

So i have no useful input here whatsoever.:biggrin:

I’m sure there’s others that aren’t on the list and a few will seemingly pop up out of nowhere. Also they’res non-rpg genres. Other than that looks like another year for working on the backlog.

I googled all of those you mentioned. Outside of Waylanders, which I listed as 2nd, none of them interested me alas. Thanks for the ideas though.

Dark Envoy ?

Hmmmmm.... I didn't know it. After seeing some of its videos, I think it's a good game if not enough to be on my "Most Anticipated 2020" list.

1. Outer Worlds
2. None
3. None

I played some of the other games and enjoyed for example PP and Druidstone a lot, but wouldn't consider neither game to be an RPG nor GOTY material (PP maybe, but not in the state it was in when I played at release).

1. Wasteland 3
2. Realms Beyond
3. Cyberpunk 2077

The Outer Worlds
Disco Elysium
Outward

Cyberpunk 2077
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2
Wasteland 3

• Greedfall
  • Vestaria Saga I: War of the Scions
  • Disco Elysium
  • Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Knights of the Chalice 2

My top of the year games would be...well, pretty much all the games I played.

None of them were really awesome, but that's the best I played...

1. Queens Wish
2. Legends of Amberland (which is not on the list)
3. Druidstone
4. Grimshade

In my reviews they all received a "rather good" rating which equals 70%-74% in a conventional rating system.
As Legends of Amberland wasn't available, the over games moved one up.

The disappointment of the year in the RPG sector was definitely Pathway, which also did not make it to the list of options. That game received several patches since then and might be a bit better now.

For 2020...

1. Wasteland 3
2. Urban Strife (is not on the list)
3. Encased (is not on the list)
4. Colony Shop (but I doubt it will release this year)
5. Cyberpunk 2077

Back
Top Bottom