Obsidian Entertainment - Keeping the Lights On

I just want Obsidian to remain solvent for as long as it takes to release Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky's new game. Beyond that, I've lost all patience for their systematically bug-ridden releases.

I just want Obsidian to remain solvent for as long as it takes to release Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky's new game. Beyond that, I've lost all patience for their systematically bug-ridden releases.
Based on the talk Tim Cain did at Reboot Develop 2017 back in April, it seems pretty clear that new game of theirs will be awful dumbed-down action RPG stuff. Sadly, PoE 2 is far more interesting at this point.

Based on the talk Tim Cain did at Reboot Develop 2017 back in April, it seems pretty clear that new game of theirs will be awful dumbed-down action RPG stuff. Sadly, PoE 2 is far more interesting at this point.

Didn't know about that talk. Many thanks for the input. Did a search on Google and found The April 2017 Summary and 36 page (884 comments) thread at RPGCodex.

Cain's one hour talk is a bit much to digest -- same with CODEX's 36 pages of comments.

CODEX's summary seemed to start off on a pretty negative note ("In summary, I think it's clear that Tim and Leonard's game will very much be a streamlined, "newschool" sort of RPG. Those who want a more classical experience from Obsidian will have to look towards Pillars of Eternity II."). The comment thread seemed to follow in line.

Seems to me this highlights another of the contradictory issues of modern RPG games; If RPGs are limited to a niche format, can they realistically support Triple-A game development costs? Or alternatively is it possible to make a highly player-accessible RPG that is still enjoyable for experienced RPG gamers?

Guess I'd say that Witcher 3 evidences the possibility of a high quality, highly accessible, AAA RPG. But nothing, including Witcher 3, is perfect for everyone.

Back to Obsidian. They face a lot of challenges. High costs. Conflicting publisher/developer issues. Conflicting player expectations. Et cetera, et cetera.

__

Huh, Mai.ru? Isn't that some kind of scam site, couldn't get rid of it as start homepage.
Must have got it from playing Obsidian game.

Obsidian plus former Troika team on a new game? I think it will have a few bugs. :)

Back
Top Bottom