Gothic Remake - Close to the Original

I only see the plus side of this remake, It brings more players to the Gothic universe and might mean more original sequels if it sells. You just have to ignore the old fan-base.

See when you want to maximize profit off remakes or new games in old IP you don't cater the the older fan-base. They will never be happy no matter what you do.

Last edited:
Tried playing the first two but I quit. Controls are absurd for one thing and hype for it here is over the top, especially regarding the graphics. Couldn't even target and hit anything from what I remember.

If they straighten that out maybe I'll give this remake a try if it gets finished.

You can't hit anything in the beginning of Gothic, because you have to learn it first. It is an RPG, so you have to learn your skills. Then you need the right equipment - you have to work for it.
Only then you should try to run through the woods and fight.

The controls are not common, but really easy to master once you get used to them.

So sayeth a troll. Come back when you can speak more coherently..;)
I enjoyed the Risen games and even Elex. Seems everything PB makes will be compared to Gothic. Newsflash you'll never see another Gothic. Time has moved on.

Also the developers of Gothic have officially stated they have no desire to make more.
No add that with a bad UI and controls you get the picture.

Enough said I'll be attacked by rabid fanboys again.:)

Oh for me you can enjoy whatever you want :)

I really loved the Gothic series and Elex. I found the Risen atmosphere less interesting and didn't even finish Risen 3.

I think the graphics have aged horribly for Gothic, but I did enjoy replaying parts of Gothic 2 NOTR last year. I played until Chapter 4 I think and then knew it would become pretty linear so I stopped.

I should try again as a mage in G2 as I have never done that path...

Great recipe for disaster there… why wold you say this? just for controversy?
No for the truth old fans are not where the money is anymore. I've been told the same from multiple developers before for stating my opinion. Especially by BioWare.

Last edited:
Well many seem to avoid that I also wrote I enjoyed the whole series myself. I'm just saying the first two have not aged well. That's blasphemy on this forum.:rolleyes:

Heck I even said I enjoyed Arcania which most old-timers here hated with a passion. Anyway my final post I want more modern Gothic games nuff said moving on.:movingon:

Well many seem to avoid that I also wrote I enjoyed the whole series myself. I'm just saying the first two have not aged well. That's blasphemy on this forum.:rolleyes:

Heck I even said I enjoyed Arcania which most old-timers here hated with a passion. Anyway my final post I want more modern Gothic games nuff said moving on.:movingon:

I never tried it (Arcania). Is it worth it ?

I never tried it (Arcania). Is it worth it ?
If you play it with an open mind its not like the older Gothic's you might. It takes place after the nameless hero in part three has gone crazy. It didn't help it was incomplete.

They basically released the ending city as an expansion.

Here a quote from a site that reviewed it without bias.
So, Is It Worth A Shot Now?

Arcania: Gothic 4 is as simple and generic as they come. It’s also fun once you accept it for what is it. If you expect an experience on par with something like Dragon Age, Diablo or Zelda, it will fall so short of those expectations it will make Molyneux’s Fable claims seem modest. Arcania is basically a B movie action RPG; it’s not particularly great, but there are people who will find things to enjoy about it. There are several better action RPGs out there, but sometimes a generic fantasy world isn’t a terrible setting for a game. This one can be found for cheap nowadays, and as long as the expectations are kept to a minimum, it can be an unremarkable and forgettable but enjoyable title.

It's not blasphemy, it's just your opinion, but you're beating it to death. I'm pretty sure everyone here gets it by now.

Then they need to stop quoting me bro. Simple as that.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Or simply put me on ignore. It's very easy to do so.:p

If it’s too close to the original, mainly the terrible controls, then I won’t play it.

I really liked the first Gothic, and the second too (which i finished a few months ago). After that, i started 3, but i dont like it. Risen 1, i loved it (for my taste very similar to Gothic 1), and played the demo of the remake, and in my machine it runs horrible, so much lag and stuttering. Sadly, i started to play it with high hopes, but it was... like something so different of Gothic. But i dont judge the ones who liked it, and the people who doesnt like the Gothic series, i think it´s all different tastes.

I really loved the German voice actors in this game = Original Gothic 1. That's why I played selecting the German language. :)

I have fond memories of playing the original Gothic. But one thing I remember being very disappointed about, but also found a little funny, is that whenever your character tried to talk to a woman in the game, they would say something like "Sssshhh! You're not allowed to talk to us!" I hope it isn't going to be like that in the remake.

I really, really think the love of G1 & 2 is a case of "you had to be there."

I tried them out about 10 years ago and found them to have certain charms, but overall were a chore to play and ugly to look at. Yes, the games have some good aspects. I'm not saying they are trash or without merit. Some good exploration. I liked that armor was difficult to obtain and therefore very precious.

But it seems the hardcore fans (and the fans of these games are specifically Hard Core) experienced it at a certain age and found a kind of magic in them that someone approaching them for the first time these days just will not find. The NPCs are ugly and all look sort of the same. And there's just a weird design aspect to these games that is completely bonkers… Maybe it's a bad translation (I played them in English) but for example, near the very start of the game: You approach a farm with a couple of farmers. They tell you the giant bugs in the area have been a "nuisance." These giant bugs are so close to this conversation that you can see them in the background. Approach these giant bugs—which are just a stone's throw from the farm—and it's basically an insta-kill for the player. These are extremely deadly monsters that bop around the perimeter of the farmstead and are meant to be returned to later to vanquish (unless you are already a very seasoned player).

What a nuisance! OK, this is just one example. But there's so much stuff like this in the game. These games are described as "immersive" because you need to write down the names of the ugly, brown/gray NPCs and their locations just to remember who the hell you spoke to for a quest ("no hand-holding!"). Meanwhile, you are carrying 16 sets of swords, 22 bows, 150 pieces of ore, 13 pickaxes, etc etc. Your helper NPCs are immortal and will revive from any injury—eventually. There's just so many weird design decisions in these games. Plus the controls are just terrible. Can you adapt to the weird controls and beat the game? YES. But that doesn't make combat and controls "good."

They are just weird games that meant a lot to certain people at specific times in their lives. And PB has been remaking essentially the same game under different names for decades now.

Because the fan base is so rabidly Pro-Gothic… I actually recommend newcomers to try these games out. They are weird, clunky artifacts from a long time ago. They are not "terrible" games, but I recommend people play them just to get a sense of how nutcase the Gothic/Risen/Elex fanbase really is.

I have never written anything down for Gothic games, because each game area is very unique and easy to remember.
If you really play the game you have to sell everything in your inventory to get the next equipment or training session. New complete overhauls are fun to play even in 2020.
HiddenX - a Gothic nutcase who played Gothic 1, 2, 3 several times and a lot of mods as well. :)

I really, really think the love of G1 & 2 is a case of "you had to be there."
It's not. I've talked to lots of people who didn't play those games until years after release and loved them. I've also talked to people who played them at release and didn't like them.

Personally, I believe all games are more enjoyable when they're not outdated, but I think the Gothics have aged a lot better than many 3D games from that era.
But it seems the hardcore fans (and the fans of these games are specifically Hard Core) experienced it at a certain age and found a kind of magic in them that someone approaching them for the first time these days just will not find. The NPCs are ugly and all look sort of the same. And there's just a weird design aspect to these games that is completely bonkers… Maybe it's a bad translation (I played them in English) but for example, near the very start of the game: You approach a farm with a couple of farmers. They tell you the giant bugs in the area have been a "nuisance." These giant bugs are so close to this conversation that you can see them in the background. Approach these giant bugs—which are just a stone's throw from the farm—and it's basically an insta-kill for the player. These are extremely deadly monsters that bop around the perimeter of the farmstead and are meant to be returned to later to vanquish (unless you are already a very seasoned player).

Kind of a weak complaint to be honest. It's almost as if you're reaching for things to nitpick about. I don't think I've ever played a game that didn't have something that was a little odd or immersion breaking at some point.

It's like in the newer Fallout games when you have a building full of Super Mutants located right across the street from a building full of raiders or some other faction that they'd be fighting if they were in the environment. There's always going to be a suspension of disbelief at some point in open-world games.
These games are described as "immersive" because you need to write down the names of the ugly, brown/gray NPCs and their locations just to remember who the hell you spoke to for a quest ("no hand-holding!").

Never experienced that nor have I ever seen anyone say that before. Are you sure you don't just have a shitty memory? ;)
Plus the controls are just terrible. Can you adapt to the weird controls and beat the game? YES. But that doesn't make combat and controls "good."

It doesn't make them good just like your failure to adapt to them doesn't make them terrible. It took me all of maybe 20 minutes to be ok with them. Besides, It was only Gothic 1 that had that uncommon control scheme anyways. Every game they've made since then uses the same modern controls.

I enjoyed Gothic 2 the most of the various PiranhaBytes games I played, but I've found all of them clunky and fairly ugly from the start. That's not and never has been their strength. At this point, I'm not sure they have a strength because the storytelling and world building hasn't improved enough. Greedfall kinda felt to me like an evolution of the Piranhabytes game.

I enjoyed Gothic 2 the most of the various PiranhaBytes games I played, but I've found all of them clunky and fairly ugly from the start. That's not and never has been their strength. At this point, I'm not sure they have a strength because the storytelling and world building hasn't improved enough. Greedfall kinda felt to me like an evolution of the Piranhabytes game.

Eh? I didn't find Greedfall much like a PB game at all. Not that it doesn't have its own merits, but it's not strong in the same areas that I think are important to fans of PB games like exploration and itemization.

In fact, I think hoping that it might be like a PB game was one of the things that made it somewhat disappointing to me. It ended up being more Bioware than PB.

Eh? I didn't find Greedfall much like a PB game at all. Not that it doesn't have its own merits, but it's not strong in the same areas that I think are important to fans of PB games like exploration and itemization.

In fact, I think hoping that it might be like a PB game was one of the things that made it somewhat disappointing to me. It ended up being more Bioware than PB.

Just my impression of the overall feel and look of the respective games. Janky action combat, visual quality, things like that. I'll give you the fact that GF lacked exploration and it's not similar in that respect. It didn't feel anything like any of the many Bioware games I've played, though. Maybe it's somewhat of a hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom