Baldur's Gate 3 - Patch 7 Available - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Patch 7 Available

Default Baldur's Gate 3 - Patch 7 Available

February 15th, 2022, 22:04
Patch 7 for Baldur's Gate 3 is now available which introduces UI changes and the Barbarian class most notably.

What do you get when you combine live goblins, a robust throwing-arm, and the laws of gravity? A sternly-worded letter to Larian about goblin cruelty. But you also get a description of how best to use the new Improvised weapon mechanic coming to Baldur's Gate 3.

Look on my eight-pack, ye mighty and despair.

Yes, we're happy to announce the first major update of the year is right around the corner, and we're going big on melee combat. Patch #7 brings with it an influx of new ways to play - from fresh melee combat mechanics, to new weapons, to a rowdy new melee class!

But that's just a taste of what's to come in Baldur's Gate 3 this month. This update also brings a slew of upgrades and improvements, with our patch notes totalling 12-full pages - each page lovingly typed by tireless fingers for your viewing pleasure. We've improved stealth gameplay with better lighting detection, overhauled the HUD UI with a more streamlined design, polished nearly 700 cinematics, mocapped new spell-casting animations, and sorted out Shadowheart's weird ponytail - just to name a few.

Today let's take a closer look at what's to come. So slip into your finest loincloth, crack those knuckles, and we'll dig right in.

Unleash your fury: A new Barbarian class comes to Baldur's Gate

Merciless in the heat of battle, fueled by nature's fury, and boasting chaos energy louder than a thousand reality TV stars combined: Barbarians are the latest class to join Baldur's Gate 3.

These brutal warriors hail from the wilds of Faerûn, but they feel most at home at the center of combat where they can channel their inner Rage to unlock devastating actions. When a Barbarian is enraged, they gain extra buffs, bonuses, and attacks - boosting the damage they lay down and halving the physical damage they take. But in order to reach this state, they must first spend a Rage Charge.

Barbarians have three charges at their disposal by the time they reach Level 3. Once enraged, they need to do damage or receive damage in order to keep their Rage going for another turn. Lose this Rage, however, and the perks that it generates disappear. Mastery of Barbarian combat is therefore all about maintaining your Rage and sustaining it for as long as possible by hitting or being hit every turn.

So what does a Barbarian do when they want to feed their rage but their friends are hogging all the combat on the other side of the battlefield? They simply jumpstart that Barbarian temper. One way to do this is through your Tadpole power Endless Rage. This ability deals 1d4 Psychic Damage to the Barbarian for 10 consecutive turns, ensuring Rage stays activated for the duration. In turn, Barbarians will also inflict an additional 1d4 Damage to enemies when using their melee weapons - making them even more ferocious in combat.

And remember, Barbarians: When in need, you can always recruit a friendly companion for a strategic thwacking. It's as easy as ABC (Allies can Bash you Continuously).

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
+1:

February 15th, 2022, 22:12
Emotional Baldur's Gate 3 OST - "Wash My Pain Away" by Borislav Slavov.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)

February 15th, 2022, 22:29
Tried barbarian class in Solasta, can't say it's is one I'd wanto play. Def won't do another playthough just for this 1 class. Unless they add something dramatically new, I think I'm done with playthroughs until release.

booboo

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

February 16th, 2022, 00:37
Well 2023 is now the tentative release date but subject to change.
"Early Access continues to be a key part of Larian’s development process, allowing us to iterate and improve with feedback from our players to make the best game possible." as well as stating that if work continues on as it h as Baldur’s Gate 3 is expected to release out of Early Access in 2023.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Half Rotten Potato

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)

February 16th, 2022, 00:48
In a way, I'm actually kind of relieved by that. I've already got too many games on my plate, and with Starfield getting released towards the end of the year, I'm not sure when I'd even have time to play BG3.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)

February 16th, 2022, 01:54
OK… *whips out calculator*… 2023 + 5 years for patching and DLCs = 2028 for the finished Definitive Edition. Gotcha. Marked in calendar.

Moriendor

Pathological Liar
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

February 16th, 2022, 02:05
The Death of Drizzt Do'Urden

I still remember my best Baldur's Gate experience - when the game was originally released way-way back then - was specializing my party casting spells for summoning and sold everything I didn't need and bought as many magic arrows as I could. Probably there were some heart-seeking missiles among, them, I can't remember, just that there were some really potent ones, like Arrow of Slaying (IIRC), etc…

The party briefly meets him in the game as a story encounter. But this time, when he finished his dialogue lines and - as per the Baldur's Gate story - was about to walk away.. I attacked Drizzt!

- How dare you??! Traitor!! - He screamed at me something similar with righteous anger. ((So the developers were ready for this occasion and recorded a well-fitting line for him!))

I summoned a massive horde of monsters, which completely surrounded him trying to hit him constantly. But he was slaying my summons too fast. So I fired a hail of magic arrows onto him, all kinds. When I was out of resources and down to my last magic arrows, one of the couple remaining monsters hit him and took Drizzt's final hit points. With a loud death-cry - which sounded amazing - he collapsed onto the ground.
It was a great loot!
I got his armor - mithril chainmail, - and the two powerful magic scimitars, Frostband and Twinkle.
Then as we had the best gaming news website in Hungary from 1999 - 2014, I happily wrote a Slaying Drizz't summary of the battle. Everyone was flabbergasted and flinching at the news of the death of their favorite fantasy superhero recounted on the main page of our news website.

But it was such an amazing experience!! Truly unique gameplay! Since then I took up the custom of taking a good look of powerful NPCs in fantasy games and playing with the idea, asking:
- And what kind of loot do you have, my dear?

--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

February 16th, 2022, 02:48
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well 2023 is now the tentative release date but subject to change.
yeah like i said the other day 2023 for sure i would say october at best

Dolby

Watchdog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

February 16th, 2022, 11:22
Originally Posted by mercy View Post

I still remember my best Baldur's Gate experience - when the game was originally released way-way back then - was specializing my party casting spells for summoning and sold everything I didn't need and bought as many magic arrows as I could. Probably there were some heart-seeking missiles among, them, I can't remember, just that there were some really potent ones, like Arrow of Slaying (IIRC), etc…

The party briefly meets him in the game as a story encounter. But this time, when he finished his dialogue lines and - as per the Baldur's Gate story - was about to walk away.. I attacked Drizzt!

- How dare you??! Traitor!! - He screamed at me something similar with righteous anger. ((So the developers were ready for this occasion and recorded a well-fitting line for him!))

I summoned a massive horde of monsters, which completely surrounded him trying to hit him constantly. But he was slaying my summons too fast. So I fired a hail of magic arrows onto him, all kinds. When I was out of resources and down to my last magic arrows, one of the couple remaining monsters hit him and took Drizzt's final hit points. With a loud death-cry - which sounded amazing - he collapsed onto the ground.
It was a great loot!
I got his armor - mithril chainmail, - and the two powerful magic scimitars, Frostband and Twinkle.
Then as we had the best gaming news website in Hungary from 1999 - 2014, I happily wrote a Slaying Drizz't summary of the battle. Everyone was flabbergasted and flinching at the news of the death of their favorite fantasy superhero recounted on the main page of our news website.

But it was such an amazing experience!! Truly unique gameplay! Since then I took up the custom of taking a good look of powerful NPCs in fantasy games and playing with the idea, asking:
- And what kind of loot do you have, my dear?

My assassination of Drizzt was less dramatic. I made him stuck in the shores of lake and just killed him with crits of million arrows from other side of the lake.
Great loot and great experience.
I think there was also throwing hammer or axe that reminded me of Wolfgar.
<3

showtime

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

February 16th, 2022, 14:29
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
My assassination of Drizzt was less dramatic. I made him stuck in the shores of lake and just killed him with crits of million arrows from other side of the lake.
Great loot and great experience.
I think there was also throwing hammer or axe that reminded me of Wolfgar.
<3
There is an even easier way: Get a rod of summoning, approach Drizzt so you can just see him, summon your stuff, let stuff attack, walk away => when in fog of war NPCs don't do anything, so the summons kill him over time. You just wait and watch the dialog field.

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

Default Release Notes

February 16th, 2022, 14:37
The release notes of the patch:

Patch #7
Version Number: 4.1.1.1466805

Patch 7 for Baldur's Gate 3 is here, and with it comes a new Barbarian class, the introduction of goblin-tossing (AKA improvised weapons), improvements to nearly 700 cinematics, and a major overhaul of our HUD UI - among many other tweaks and fixes! We've also seen your comments, and are happy to announce that Shadowheart's ponytail now abides by the laws of physics - we blame forces beyond our control for it being so wild and untameable.

For you Mac users out there, this update will be live for Mac OS soon - we're just working on squashing those last few bugs. So please keep your eyes on our feeds for news on when it becomes available. In the meantime, if you're looking for the full notes for Patch 7, it's time to pour yourself a glass of something strong, cozy up in your favourite chair, and get those tiny reading spectacles on - because they're quite sizable. We've picked out some highlights for you to jump into first, and of course recommend you read the full Community Update for a deeper dive into said highlights. Otherwise, on with the notes! As ever, there may be spoilers in here - don't say we didn't warn you.

Patch notes related to community-reported issues and feedback are indicated with an asterisk. Like this.*
Spoiler
Last edited by Redglyph; February 16th, 2022 at 14:39. Reason: gremlins

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

February 16th, 2022, 15:17
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I read all the books of Drizzt and the companions before playing BG and didn't know that there even was a connection Drizzt and the game.
So when I met him in the game I was totally in awe and didn't even think of daring to touch him. For teenage me this encounter was pure magic.

So… HOW COULD YOU, TRAITOR?!?!!
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Black Geyser

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

February 16th, 2022, 16:56
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
I read all the books of Drizzt and the companions before playing BG and didn't know that there even was a connection Drizzt and the game.
So when I met him in the game I was totally in awe and didn't even think of daring to touch him. For teenage me this encounter was pure magic.

I didn't kill him in first run. But when I read that he has loot from the book, I had to kill him. And I think that if you import Char to BG2 you can find Drizzt again and depending of your first encounter he attacks you or not.

P.S.
If there is no some connection to Drizzt in BG3 I will be disappointed.

showtime

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 19th, 2022, 01:07
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post

I got curious about this too and got Salvatore's first Drizzt book this week. I remember reading a Salvatore book some 20+ years ago, but it was translated to my language and I called it soap-opera then before the massive amount of visitors to our gaming news site long ago.

Now however - at a much more thoughtful stage of my life - I'm able to read Salvatore in English. Since he got a BA in English, his writing style is top-notch, I think, so it fulfills my high-level expectations, after I read Michael Moorcock..
I just finished Homeland (1990) and began Exile. I must agree, that I committed sacrilege by killing Drizzt and proudly boasting about the killing of essentially a fantasy Superman to the masses of our website visitors then.

Now I love the character of Drizzt.

I think we should get a Menzoberranzan 2, turn-based tactical RPG with a great story.

Since Salvatore's amazing writing makes my blood boil for a satisfyingly gory and magic-filled drow combat adventure.. the only thing I could think of, was to try some evil character in Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and try to do evil drow-ish things there in that world. Try some insolent dialogue options.. Salvatore is that addictive.
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:

February 19th, 2022, 05:36
I thought the first book was great but really had trouble reading anything else he wrote.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

February 19th, 2022, 10:16
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
I thought the first book was great but really had trouble reading anything else he wrote.
I've read about twenty of his drizzt books (ebook bundle for 10 bucks or so) and they are uneven. A few are good to great, but most are only alright and nothing more. Easy reading and entertaining, but not essential.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

February 20th, 2022, 17:14
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
OK… *whips out calculator*… 2023 + 5 years for patching and DLCs = 2028 for the finished Definitive Edition. Gotcha. Marked in calendar.
I don't have the patience to wait THIS long - maybe in some cases since I'm often not into the games that flow like this.

I've definitely become way more inclined to see how the dust settles on any AAA hype monster before even paying much attention at all.

It's so incredibly rare that I finish some of these massive games that the last thing I usually need is DLC or any kind of definitive even more edition. I'm usually done with any of these games even if they're greatest of all time after about 100 hours. Maybe I come back and do another run later if the game is really good or the mod scene is rich. So I don't really need to go to the full on extreme. Maybe just wait for the game to be patched out of frickin alpha state.

Voqar

PC Gaming Snob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Patch 7 Available