System Shock 3 - Officially dead

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Ars Technica reports that System Shock 3 is officially dead:

System Shock 3 is officially dead at Warren Spector's studio

OtherSide Entertainment stopped work in 2019, Spector confirms.

Warren Spector's OtherSide Entertainment stopped work on the highly anticipated System Shock 3 in 2019, Spector confirmed in a recent interview with GamesBeat. The announcement definitively ends hopes that Spector's studio might still be working with new publisher Tencent on the follow-up to the 1994 PC gaming classic and its 1999 sequel.

The System Shock 3 project was first announced way back in 2015. Spector--known for producing the original System Shock as well as his work on Deus Ex, Thief, and Epic Mickey--made a splash in 2016 when he left academia to return to game development and joined the team at OtherSide Entertainment to work on the planned sequel.

[...]
More information.

Personally, would have much rather have seen a new system shock game than a remake…

I think a new SS game is inevitable at some point. I'm happy about the SS1 remake though. It's an iconic game that's too dated to be accessible for a lot of gamers now.

It's a shame about Spector's SS3 though. It really seemed promising.

The remake looks great, can't wait for it!
It's a shame Terri Brosius won't get another crack at Shodan but the teaser images for number 3 looked a little off and it's maybe for the best to give it a rest.
If the remake is a success maybe it will reignite interest?

So just extrapolation from yesterday's piece.

It was said somewhere already that given the level of finances that they had to work with, if an SS3 was released as originally intended, it'd have been a short experience featuring a few interesting highlights, but ultimately a "disappointing sequel" label is inescapable considering the series' reputation.

Making I-Sim is hard, it's too complex for most people. GL to Spector on his new thing, I hope it turns out to be the magnum opus that he purports it to be.

I'm honestly sad, really. :(

The current title on the newspost here is actually very misleading...

System Shock 3 isn't necessarily dead, Warren Spector even says in the linked interview "Tencent is now taking the franchise forward". It's just dead at Warren Spector's studio - which is what the title of the linked article says.

I was looking forward to both the remake and SS3, so sad that the latter is not happening, at least for now. I hope someone else takes up the mantle in the future and we do get a SS3 at some point.

I don't believe Tencent is currently working on it but I guess that could change. I guess it is possible that there is some preproduction type work happening but there is nothing in their latest report.

Given how Underworld Ascendant worked out it's hard to feel sad about this.

I don't think it was the same team developing SS3. Spector had opened a second studio for OtherSide in Austin, Texas, and I believe SS3 was being developed there.

Amazing "news"!

One franchise safe from people not getting what it was about and what was good about it in the first place.
I can certainly do without SS getting the Fallout 3 treatment or drifting off like BioShock did.

Amazing "news"!

One franchise safe from people not getting what it was about and what was good about it in the first place.
I can certainly do without SS getting the Fallout 3 treatment or drifting off like BioShock did.

It could end up being a lot worse if Tencent decides to try to do something with it on their own. I'd have much rather had Warren Spector and Paul Neurath in charge of a SS3 than a bunch of suits from China.

I'd have much rather had Warren Spector and Paul Neurath in charge of a SS3 than a bunch of suits from China.

Sounds good in theory but look what became of that.

If China had a go it would probably be done by now. Sure, done in slave like conditions to the sounds of whips, steam whistles and speakers cranking out government propaganda, but done. :p

Your super comfy western industry veterans just can't compete with that machine-like Chinese work ethic.

Not really news to me. I would have liked to see this project succeed, but truth be told I lost all faith on that studio after the ‎Underworld Ascendant disaster.

The game website is still active, which is a bit odd. (I had it bookmarked, as I too was interested in the game)

Edited: scratch that, the last update is from Sept. 2019, so it has been years since the website was updated.
https://otherside-e.com/wp/games/system-shock-3/

If that's the case, where are all these great Chinese games? ;)
As usual, I'm no expert, but I remember not long ago gaming consoles were illegal in China. Google says that wasn't lifted until 2015. So, they're actually pretty behind in games.

But the massive population is also largely quite poor. The market in China for people with $4000 ($19,000 China moneys) for a 3090 is very small.

When they make their own hardware it tends to be really bad. Like, absolutely no one wants to buy Chinese x86 cpus from Zhaoxin. Their consoles are trash that isn't sold anywhere else.

Sure, there's lots of rich Chinese. But they've probably moved to Australia, by now. :p

Probably most common Chinese just play games on their phones.

As usual, I'm no expert, but I remember not long ago gaming consoles were illegal in China. Google says that wasn't lifted until 2015. So, they're actually pretty behind in games.

I'm not expert either, certainly not when it comes to China. From what I saw, the Chinese gaming market is still the largest, or was until recently when they started restricting its use during work days. It seems to be a strange mix, with the government hindering the development, big successes and a mass of indies trying to stand out and be recognized.

There was a very interesting analysis video by NeverKnowsBest, but it was before the recent restrictions took place. It doesn't look like they're too far behind, but it depends what you mean by 'behind'. Perhaps it's hard to compare the quality. I suppose there aren't as many big companies as the rest of the world.

In any case, I wouldn't like a remake or a franchise to be taken over by them, even if it was by an established developer, because it would become unrecognizable. They have their own original style, and I'm not sure I'd appreciate it in that context.

As for phones, it's the dominant market everywhere, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom