HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The backers of Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor received the following note:

'QUEEN'S WISH 2: THE TORMENTOR' RELEASING Q3, 2022

Explore, Fight, Manage, and Build in This Unique Retro RPG

April 13th, 2022 -- Spiderweb Software, Inc., makers of retro role-playing excitement for 28 years, announces the second chapter in their unique Empire-building trilogy! In Q3, 2022, we will release Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor, a fantasy role-playing adventure for Windows, Mac, and iOS. Queen's Wish 2 had a great Kickstarter, and our backers will soon receive the results of their generosity.

You are a child of the dread Queen of the mighty empire of Haven. Alas, your life of happy luxury has been stripped from you. The Queen, your mother, is desperately ill, so you have been forced to travel to the savage Rokaj. It is a poor and brutal land of warriors, constantly prone to rebellion.

You find yourself in the middle of a vicious power struggle, between your masters back home and the raiders and assassins of the wilderness. A rebellion is brewing. If you can't prove yourself and master the wild Ro, it will be a bloody disaster. Can you take control of your Empire's lands? And what will you do with them once you have it?

Explore a vast nation full of cities, forts, and dungeons. Fight clever, carefully designed turn-based battles. Deal with misbehaving vassals with bribery, diplomacy, or violence. Build new forts and customize them, choosing among upgrades that give your adventurers powerful bonuses.

Decide whether to serve the Empire or free its unhappy servants. Be warned, though. Whatever plan you make, the temptations to turn away from it will be cunning and constant.
Thanks Kordanor!

More information.

Looking forward to playing it but each new game he releases feel the same. You basically have the same plot that doesn't reflect any choices you made from the last game.

You end up making the same choices about rebelling or staying loyal.

I played pretty much every single Spiderweb game starting with the first release of Avernum, including the remakes, (never played Exile) up to Queen's wish.

I greatly enjoyed them all and planned on playing more. But half way through Queen's Wish I lost all interest like the flipping of a switch. I got my money's worth from all Jeff's games but they are just not for me any longer. As Couch said they are just too similar.

Happy for all the people that still enjoy them, I know they will get what they want.

Yup, I shall be there for this one, maybe even on the very first day because such a thing is actually possible with Spiderweb gaming! The prior game was quite enjoyable and I'm curious to see where things will go in this sequel.

I hope he hasn't sold out and started using graphics from this century!

Still have to play QW1, don't remember there ever being a KS for QW2...
Still good to see he is alive and kicking.

QW 1 was the first Spiderweb game that did nothing for me. Everything about his previous games that I liked - e.g. decent sized dungeons, at least some complexity to character builds - was compromised, and the new bits around base building etc that should have made up for it were simplified and dull. It all seemed so basic, so limiting. I won't be getting this one.

QW 1 was the first Spiderweb game that did nothing for me. Everything in it seemed so basic, so limiting. I won't be getting this one.

Same here - the first Spiderweb game that I didn't play to the end (and I own all Spiderweb games).

Another big fan of Avernum here and thought the Avadon's were just Ok, but didn't touch QW, so, definitely one for the core of the core only I reckon.

I didn't find it quite as awesome as some of his previous games, yet I'd no issue completing it. I will say, however, that it is a game that I don't feel the slightest urge to replay, and perhaps that's telling in itself.

Looking forward to playing it but each new game he releases feel the same. You basically have the same plot that doesn't reflect any choices you made from the last game.

You end up making the same choices about rebelling or staying loyal.

Actually Queens Wish 2 will be the first game which will let you import the choices from the previous one.
Well, at least you got a code with your choices when you finished the first one. So...might be interesting to see how intricate these consequences are.

Everything I read or saw about the game really pushed me away from it.

The graphics are just plain worse. More detailed, maybe, but such a mix of different styles and perspectives... it's just amateurish and jarring.
At least previous graphics were consistent. Consistency in art is vastly more important than detail.

The plot just seemed to be the usual loyalty vs rebellion theme.
The character build system seemed even more simplified than previous games.
The ludanarrative dissonance between you commanding armies and yet clearing out dungeons all on your own seemed off from the start. This kind of narrative just doesn't work in games unless you get a separate gameplay layer for the armies as well (and even then it's still very weird to not use your army for dungeons).
The "you have to go through dungeons in one go" seemed like a big red flag to me.

... too bad, really. I still enjoyed the Avadon series greatly.

I also hope that perhaps a return to Avadon might happen, as that environment I thought was quite well done. I honestly enjoyed just about every single aspect of that world, much more than the current series.

I wonder when he will remake avernum and rename them something else like he did to exile...

Back
Top Bottom