May 11th, 2022, 07:29
He didn't, some people are just guessing

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

May 11th, 2022, 08:37
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
Maybe I missed something in this thread, but where did Myrthos say he was talking to Sorcerers.net about the potential hosting of RPGWatch?

Just to be sure, I went as far as Myrthos' post (#77 in this thread) regarding the contact that occurred last weekend between him and the potential hoster, and he didn't mention any names. But again, perhaps I missed some piece of info elsewhere. If I did, please excuse me
Well, Taluntain offered here:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/show…&postcount=129
And people are naturally assuming from that.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

May 11th, 2022, 09:45
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I suspect my definition preceded it.
I suspect that you are right. My old mom used to warn us about "wrong'uns" way back in the 1950's when I was a kid. That was without the aid of 'urban slang dictionaries' et al.

Not really sure when Aussies learnt to play cricket though… (if ever)…..LOL….

Robollix

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

May 11th, 2022, 10:03
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
Maybe I missed something in this thread, but where did Myrthos say he was talking to Sorcerers.net about the potential hosting of RPGWatch?
No, but there's several things that make me think that's overwhelmingly likely, and I'll be corrected in due course if I'm wrong.

--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Бажаю успіху

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)

May 11th, 2022, 10:10
I don't want to be hearing about their TOS, which appears to be worth about as much as a few stanzas of my teenage poetry. Here's their TOS, and here's, for example, the Codex thread on the demise of the Watch.
Oof. Seeing their reaction to Pladio's post is very instructive, if quite pathetic (unless they're just evil IC, some people do that). That only reinforces my position; I wouldn't even bother to create a login there, it's not for me.

About the ToS, make sure to read their hosting conditions too, it does feel a bit like a hanging sword of Damocles. That doesn't necessarily mean they would throw someone away for a temporary low traffic, but it would definitely put some pressure on a site. On the other hand, it removes the pressure of getting funds…

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

May 11th, 2022, 17:57
I just clicked on that RPGCodex thread. I guess I missed something. After the first post, it's all "trannies" and "fags" posts regarding RPGWatch?!? I mean, wow, straight to that?
--
---------------------------------

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

May 11th, 2022, 18:16
Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
I just clicked on that RPGCodex thread. I guess I missed something. After the first post, it's all "trannies" and "fags" posts regarding RPGWatch?!? I mean, wow, straight to that?
That's what the site is. Every thread.

When Falksi was hanging around here, reviewing retro games and such, I wish I had replied to every post of his with "Well, as a black tranny, I think…"

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

May 11th, 2022, 22:04
I think the key is not to take it seriously.

It's like a terrible joke that never ends - but I don't think all Codexians are really like that.

They're just trying to fit into their environment.

It's like going to prison - you either adapt (toughen up in terms of the facade) or you get ousted (or stabbed)

DArtagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)

May 12th, 2022, 02:09
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post

It's like a terrible joke that never ends - but I don't think all Codexians are really like that.

It's like going to prison - you either adapt (toughen up in terms of the facade) or you get ousted (or stabbed)
Hmm, that probably is the case for some, but unlike prison they're free to leave at any time.

Not every Codexer feels the urge to spew out slurs and insults, some of them actually just want to discuss cRPGs. But the thoughtful posts tend to get lost in a a sea of toxic sludge and pointless bickering.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

May 12th, 2022, 09:50

I'd rather avoid going to prison in the first place

I don't believe in adapting to unhealthy environments, because that's modifying your own perception and behaviour, and I certainly don't want to start behaving like what I've seen there if I can help it. It's just a vicious circle that needs to be broken.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

May 12th, 2022, 11:29
I'm not big into moralizing or pretending to know how to be - but I can certainly say that the Codex isn't the place for me.

I was just trying to put things into perspective based on my perceptions. I think a large part of it is posturing or, as mentioned, kind of a bad joke.

I know I've been a part of that kind of culture in my youth among certain friends. Where you state things in very negative ways - without really having true negative intentions.

I leave it to others to decide if that's sustainable or interesting - but there's no denying that the Codex is long lasting.

DArtagnan

May 12th, 2022, 12:10
I'm not big into moralizing or pretending to know how to be - but I can certainly say that the Codex isn't the place for me.

I was just trying to put things into perspective based on my perceptions. I think a large part of it is posturing or, as mentioned, kind of a bad joke.

I know I've been a part of that kind of culture in my youth among certain friends. Where you state things in very negative ways - without really having true negative intentions.

I leave it to others to decide if that's sustainable or interesting - but there's no denying that the Codex is long lasting.
Same for me. A lot of communication was jokingly rude when I was a teenager.

Most guys have a peak of this kind of behavior and communication style around 16 years of age, girls around 14. It can remain in small social circles for a long time, but most people adapt to a less anti-social interaction style in most situations.

Nowadays I just find it tedious.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

May 12th, 2022, 12:13
Originally Posted by SveNitoR View Post

Most guys have a peak of this kind of behavior and communication style around 16 years of age, girls around 14. It can remain in small social circles for a long time, but most people adapt to a less anti-social interaction style in most situations.

Yes, I mentioned earlier that my abiding impression is of a troubled 12 year-old, trying to impress his bullying brother and their racist dad.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Бажаю успіху

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
+1:

May 12th, 2022, 12:22
Yes, I mentioned earlier that my abiding impression is of a troubled 12 year-old, trying to impress his bullying brother and their racist dad.
Lol. Pretty apt description.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

May 12th, 2022, 12:26
Originally Posted by SveNitoR View Post

Yeah, I think it's reasonably common - at least around here.

As you touch upon, I think it's a culturally influenced facade - which isn't too surprising given human interaction at such young ages.

It's sort of a necessary evil (or it's perceived as such) - because allowing yourself to be sensitive or vulnerable is a sign of weakness. I think that provokes the opposite theater - where you're as "tough as possible" so you can pretend to not be vulnerable.

Ironically, it's arguable that any kind of pretense is the height of vulnerability - because being anything except genuine is, to an extent, a defensive response.

As I understand it, there's a recent cultural movement in many places of the world when it comes to youth culture. Certainly in places of modern education - where over-sensitivity and potentially self-destructive blame-gaming is the new order of the day.

I think that might be an even worse facade to have - but what do I know.

DArtagnan

May 12th, 2022, 12:29
Please discuss the Codex-(Non/Anti)-Culture in a different thread.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)

May 12th, 2022, 12:40
I agree, the Codex is in no way relevant to the topic of this thread.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)

May 12th, 2022, 12:44
@Myrthos, when are you expecting an update to come ?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)

May 13th, 2022, 13:08
Next week, I'll let you all know if there is a potential "restart" of RPGWatch.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)

May 13th, 2022, 14:04
Regarding helping to set up/transfer the watch.

As I've said, I am willing to help setting up a new/remastered site. FWIW, I have the time, and I know a bit PHP and Sql. However, I fear that a lot of what's needed is beyond what I know.

I can not promise helping with running the site or administration/moderation.

pibbuR who has spoken. And who thinks his hair looks better than that of the alien guy.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher

pibbuR

Feeling … lonely?

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Building a new site