New site: web hosting - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » New site: web hosting

Default New site: web hosting

May 9th, 2022, 09:51
Just to try and tidy up all the items, technical and others, I'll start this thread for the web hosting, and maybe the DNS and the certificate.

And I have a question: until we find a provider, if some of us get a little mock-up CMS and/or forum, is there an easy host to put it onto, to show what it's like?

I forfeited mine a few years ago, and I was considering using one again for something else but I'm not there yet, and not even sure I need it right now.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

May 13th, 2022, 12:11
Sorry, I missed this thread. Personally, I like to use Mythic Beasts, a smaller host with data centres in Cambridge and London. They do cool things, like providing cheap dedicated Raspberry Pis, for smaller needs.

I find with the big corpos, everything is fine and dandy until there's any kind of complication. Then you will waste a lot of time being tormented by grinning idiots that are amused to call themselves Customer Services. I haven't had to call the Mythic Beasts for a long time, because things just work, but when I did, it's someone that speaks like an actual human, knows their stuff, and can get things done.

I like to deal with those sorts of businesses, but for just testing and messing around with a new site, any old thing would do, really.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Бажаю успіху

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)

May 13th, 2022, 14:33
No problem. It looks like it won't be necessary anyway (or that it would help if it was).

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

May 13th, 2022, 15:23
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
No problem. It looks like it won't be necessary anyway (or that it would help if it was).
I'm still setting up some options to play around with, and I'll invite any folks interested to have a look around. I'm setting up a few different configurations, which I'll expose as different subdomains off a test site. Spinning up dockers to test services on a vps or Pi is really pretty easy. More work to be done to make something properly secure and production-ready, but it's a pretty low barrier to get prototypes up and running.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman

Ripper

Бажаю успіху

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » New site: web hosting