Grimoire - Game is Complete

I wouldn't touch this thing unless it's available via GoG or steam. Even then I'll be waiting to see what people say about it, the thought of giving this guy a single penny of mine makes my skin crawl. And not in a good way.

When did the Grimoire release saga actually begin?

I was certainly there when it started, but I can't quite remember. I think it must have been the late 90s or something :)

Back when Wizardry 7 wasn't just a distant, distant memory.

IIRC - that was the game he was trying to succeed with an even better version.

Either April Fools came 4 days early this year or Hell has officially frozen over!
Later today, Chris Roberts will announce Star Citizen is complete and all fundraising will cease.

This rpgcodex entry is from 2004. According to that entry, the saga began sometime in the early or mid 90s.

Grimoire preview like thingy at RPGDot

Preview - posted by Saint_Proverbius on Mon 26 July 2004, 13:52:06
Tags: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

There's a preview like thingy on RPGDot based on a visit with Cleve Blakemore about Grimoire. Yeah, you heard right, Grimoire, a CRPG that's been considered vapourware before anyone ever muttered the words, Duke Nukem Forever. Anyway, here's a clip:

Cleve left LA for Australia in 1991, where together with Michael Shamgar, they began work on Grimoire a few years later. Now, after many stops, starts and re-starts, the game is nearly finished. That's why, on an overcast, but otherwise pleasant morning, I found myself following Cleve down a hole in the ground to chat with him in the confines of the underground bomb shelter he is building on the Australian Gold Coast. If nothing else, it is providing research for his next big game, but more on that later.

From the archives of RPGDot, here is the complete article from a younger Corwin (although rumor has it, he was old at that time as well).

No, don't scoff and turn away in disgust. I'm very serious. There really is a game behind the name and it's going to be a good one. In fact, I'll step out on a limb and say it could be a great one. I've been playing the current Beta version for the past few days and I'm enjoying myself thoroughly. This game is already in a better state than most of the commercial releases I've played recently. It still needs polish and some minor fixes. Play balance hasn't been completely tested, but I haven't had a single crash, or met a game stopping bug yet. And this is still only a Beta build. Why am I so confident? Spending a few hours with its developer, Cleve Blakemore, tends to do that to a person.

Cleve left LA for Australia in 1991, where together with Michael Shamgar, they began work on Grimoire a few years later. Now, after many stops, starts and re-starts, the game is nearly finished. That's why, on an overcast, but otherwise pleasant morning, I found myself following Cleve down a hole in the ground to chat with him in the confines of the underground bomb shelter he's building on the Australian Gold Coast. If nothing else, it's providing research for his next big game, but more on that later.

I began the interview by asking the obvious questions everyone asks and very soon, we were in the midst of a discussion on games and RPG's that went for nearly three hours. Not unexpectedly, he enjoys games with engaging characters, lots of atmosphere, a good solid story, and which allows players time to think. Thus he prefers turn-based combat to real time, though he surprised me by detailing all the action games he'd played. What he wants from them, he said, was a good story to hold the action together. His real love though, is good old-fashioned RPG's.

When I asked him about the future of his (and my) favourite genre he said we need to take a leaf from the Golden Age of RPG's. "They were very popular then and would still be as popular today if we didn't keep dumbing them down trying to appeal to people who can't rise above the intellectual level needed to play console games." His hope for the future is to see more games like Fallout or Planescape-Torment, two of his personal favourites. "Games shouldn't take themselves too seriously," he said. "They need to be more light-hearted with tongue in cheek humour." This love of humour in games was a theme he mentioned several times. You'll find it in Grimoire as well.

Cleve was very apologetic about the long delays with the game and quite understands people's scepticism about its eventual release. His excuse is that he's always wanted to do the best job possible and then, as in 詮ield of Dreams' hope they come. He admits he could have released a Good shareware game earlier, but he wants to release, not only a Great game, but the best shareware RPG ever. He just might.

We discussed the difficulties of catering to a small niche market and whether or not that market is really as small as most large game publishers think it is. According to Cleve, Interplay is a good illustration of what can happen when you chase the console market and ignore what made you great in the first place. He pointed out that games like Wizardry, Might and Magic, Lands of Lore and Eye of the Beholder sold very well. That market is still there, but is not being adequately catered for. He hopes to change that with Grimoire, their spiritual successor. Basically, if you enjoyed those games, then you'll like Grimoire. I can certainly see their influence on the game, especially Wizardry.

What's next with the game? Currently it's in pre-Beta testing and in August Cleve hopes to get the full Beta underway. If all goes according to plan the game should be available before Christmas. I have more to say about the game, but I'm saving that for a preview a little later.

Finally, I asked Cleve about his post Grimoire plans. His dream is to be a full time Independent game developer. As well as Grimoire 2 (which he hopes to make modable,) he has plans for a Fallout clone to tap into the post apocalyptic market as well. Fans of that series and its forerunner Wasteland have something to look forward to now as well. At least it will have a touch of authenticity after all the hours Cleve has spent building and equipping his shelter. Now that's really doing your research.

I'd like to thank Cleve for his time and the invitation to visit his shelter. It was quite an experience. Much like playing Grimoire.

Been a while: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!s...sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg/QyL8ywE5N7w/nb5s6ZJ6tSUJ

Usenet kept some choice comments:
"I'm returning to the U.S. as soon as I finish Grimoire." (Cleve, 99/2/10)
"I don't understand. Are you telling us that you're never coming back to the
US?" (zond answering)

"Grimoire is going to be released this year. It may not seem like it right
now but it is happening." (Cleve, 00/?/?)

Ah, nostalgia! :)

Just as well you have that Tardis. Let me know what its like.

That's not a tardis! The avatar of the little wolf is a Dalek.

I HAVE THE TARDIS!!!!

pibbur who can behave whimsically if he wants to. Or if he doesn't get his act together and behaves rationally. Like a newly ....

If that (relatively tame) post bothers you, I'd recommend not reading any of Cleve's numerous posts on the Codex's politics forum :lol:

Yeah, I've seen plenty of his tedious drivel. "Bothers me" isn't the right way to put it - I just think that some people, less familiar with his works, might like to know what they're dealing with, and the Codex threads aren't public anymore.

On an unrelated note, is Corwin the only known member of the Watch, Codex, other gaming sites etc, to have actually been inside Cleve's famous bunker?

What was that about his next big game? Has he become immortal because I am sure we will all be dust by the time the twenty second century rolls around.

I don't get it…one minute you are all bible thumping next we get this….

Thats the wonderous thing about opinions. Its hard to stick someone in a box and dictate all their future opinions :)

On an unrelated note, is Corwin the only known member of the Watch, Codex, other gaming sites etc, to have actually been inside Cleve's famous bunker?

Apart from Cleve, he's the only living person who visited that bunker.
What happened to others? Don't ask!

Back
Top Bottom