Yet another drunken Nerd-Rant: Why I don't like Video Games anymore.

Heh, first of, I'm probably as fine as I can get, and yes, I tried Kingmaker and Witcher 3.
Wasn't in the Mood to read or write anything yesterday - sitting and breathing was fine enough :)

I had 4 free Days and thought I use them for some nice Gaming-Escapism, while drinking a few beers. Well, it didn't work at all for the first time in my life; and I'm in the mid 40s; so less Gaming and more Drinking…

I tried all these shiny new Games and well, where should I start:

Witcher 3:

Yes it's nice, but it is also made with Consoles in Mind… the Controls are not really good. I thought hell, play on normal and think about the enormous Content… it just didn't work. And I love tactical Combat to much for this kind of Games.

Pathfinder:

Uff, basically a good game, but with so many little Annoyances and bad Design-Decisions.
And it really hits me the wrong way - really strange, if some Supermodell in Chainmail-Bikini with two flaming Katanas goes one on one with a Giant Spider, I think "oh well, it's Fantasy-Game, enjoy the Ride" and don't mind - if a Supermodell and a Barbarian Girl with Cloud's Sword and realistic Armor go into Combat with a Giant-Spider I'm in my personal uncanny Valley and think "Hmm, shouldn't two bodybuilding, scarred Battle-Bros do this Job ? I decided to use Mercenaries and created my two bodybuilding, scarred Battlebros, but then I was without Money and nearly two levels behind the NPCs… well, I set the Level to "normal" and soldiered on. Still don't like it much…

Divinity Original Sin I+II:
I think it was two years ago, when I had my last big annual Leave I sank my teeth into OS 1; started tactic mode, because normal mode felt too easy and I fancy myself as smart… stopped playing in Phantom Forest, because I was to bored to crowd control another Region into Death…
You have to play these Games like an Adventure. Exploring the Areas, solving Puzzles and finding Battles that you can win… take the Loot and the XP, craft new Stuff and look for the next Battle that you can win… you are more or less on a "soft Railroad". That is ok to waste some time on, but it isn't relaxing… a few Dungeons to grind a few Levels, so that I don't have to solve every Riddle and every Quest would have been nice - OS II seems more of the same. Yes, nothing forces me to play on Tactican Mode, but then all that remains is the Story… and that is basically the Plot of "Neverending Story"…

Yeah, I miss Sex and Violence, but I also miss Brains. I guess two out of three would be good enough for me, but alas…

Well, I might try Age of Barbarian and Grimoire for Christmas, when I have my next few Days off.

Edit:

Another Problem that I had where the boring Stories in the new Games. I would say when you only have mediocre Writers, go for a Game of Thrones-like Story and not for Lord of the Rings. That might be at least a bit interesting.

Last edited:
I had 4 free Days and thought I use them for some nice Gaming-Escapism, while drinking a few beers. Well, it didn't work at all for the first time in my life; and I'm in the mid 40s; so less Gaming and more Drinking…
Playing games while getting drunk - next time use phone and phonegames. Or fire up some competitive MMO like League of Legends then feed and troll the team.

The other thing, 4 days free and you started TW3, Kingmaker and whichever DOS. Man? These games are not supposed to be played for only 4 days. Neither one of them.
So again. Phone, phonegames. If you don't have a phone but only PC, get short games on PC when you're free for a few days only. For example, try Mars: War Logs.

if a Supermodell and a Barbarian Girl with Cloud's Sword and realistic Armor go into Combat with a Giant-Spider I'm in my personal uncanny Valley and think "Hmm, shouldn't two bodybuilding, scarred Battle-Bros do this Job ? I decided to use Mercenaries and created my two bodybuilding, scarred Battlebros, but then I was without Money and nearly two levels behind the NPCs… well, I set the Level to "normal" and soldiered on.

Step away from your gaming device, brother. There's plenty of other hobbies out there.

I disagree - we are living in a golden age of RPGs - we have over 100 RPG releases this year - some of them are very good.

Agreed. The absolute wealth of choice that we're offered these days is fantastic. In the past I've looked at gaming with a cynical eye for the longest time. Now, though? I'm elated to be presented with so many options that I have to choose what I want to spend my money on. I've purchased more games this year alone than I have in the past five years, and three of them just in November were RPGs.

While I think one could argue that games have become simpler, I'd argue that they've become more streamlined, which isn't a bad thing, even if the term "streamlined" is often used in a negative manner. I don't personally need a game to engage my brain for me to have fun. It doesn't need to be easy, it just needs to make sense.

I appreciate difficulty and a game that asks the player to pay attention, but I don't like when a game that asks me to walk east ten steps, then south four, then east two, then click on a tile that looks like the thousands of other tiles a dungeon is composed of just to get the treasure, particularly if I think I'm clicking on the right tile and none of them seem to be the correct one, so I end up spending close to an hour or more trying to find it. That's not fun to me, that's just unnecessary.

And games that need spreadsheets, well, I think those days are far behind me. I've gotten older and my tastes are much broader, now. Frankly, I don't have the time or patience for them anymore, but I respect what it took to progress through them.

Last edited:
My interest in gaming waxes and wanes to some degree - but it's rare that I don't have some game that I really want to play, or some dream design that I'm contemplating.

I don't know. Nothing stimulates my brain like gaming - and my brain craves stimulation constantly.

I really can't relate to OP. I just happen to like videogames. Playing them has been my hobby since I was a little kid. Every time I launch a new game, I feel a bit like that kid back then.

No doubt that there have been months, when I've logged literaly zero hours on any videogame, but sooner or later I return. There have been months when I have been forced to give up gaming entirely for more important stuff such as studies and work or family matters.

And sometimes I have just wanted to do something else that play games like travelling abroad, or reading several good books. Besides it is perfectly healthy to have several hobbies, not just one! Yet I've never fully lost that apetite for videogames for one simple reason: Playing videogames is just so much fun. :)

No videogames... for a whole MONTH!? OMG! I hope it was February!

Heh, first of, I'm probably as fine as I can get, and yes, I tried Kingmaker and Witcher 3.
Wasn't in the Mood to read or write anything yesterday - sitting and breathing was fine enough :)

I tried all these shiny new Games and well, where should I start:

Witcher 3:

Yes it's nice, but it is also made with Consoles in Mind… the Controls are not really good. I thought hell, play on normal and think about the enormous Content… it just didn't work. And I love tactical Combat to much for this kind of Games.

Pathfinder:

Uff, basically a good game, but with so many little Annoyances and bad Design-Decisions.
And it really hits me the wrong way - really strange, if some Supermodell in Chainmail-Bikini with two flaming Katanas goes one on one with a Giant Spider, I think "oh well, it's Fantasy-Game, enjoy the Ride" and don't mind - if a Supermodell and a Barbarian Girl with Cloud's Sword and realistic Armor go into Combat with a Giant-Spider I'm in my personal uncanny Valley and think "Hmm, shouldn't two bodybuilding, scarred Battle-Bros do this Job ? I decided to use Mercenaries and created my two bodybuilding, scarred Battlebros, but then I was without Money and nearly two levels behind the NPCs… well, I set the Level to "normal" and soldiered on. Still don't like it much…

Divinity Original Sin I+II:
I think it was two years ago, when I had my last big annual Leave I sank my teeth into OS 1; started tactic mode, because normal mode felt too easy and I fancy myself as smart… stopped playing in Phantom Forest, because I was to bored to crowd control another Region into Death…
You have to play these Games like an Adventure. Exploring the Areas, solving Puzzles and finding Battles that you can win… take the Loot and the XP, craft new Stuff and look for the next Battle that you can win… you are more or less on a "soft Railroad". That is ok to waste some time on, but it isn't relaxing… a few Dungeons to grind a few Levels, so that I don't have to solve every Riddle and every Quest would have been nice - OS II seems more of the same. Yes, nothing forces me to play on Tactican Mode, but then all that remains is the Story… and that is basically the Plot of "Neverending Story"…

Yeah, I miss Sex and Violence, but I also miss Brains. I guess two out of three would be good enough for me, but alas…

Well, I might try Age of Barbarian and Grimoire for Christmas, when I have my next few Days off.

Edit:

Another Problem that I had where the boring Stories in the new Games. I would say when you only have mediocre Writers, go for a Game of Thrones-like Story and not for Lord of the Rings. That might be at least a bit interesting.

None of these producs can be completed within four days off.

A recipe for frustration.

Back
Top Bottom