Xenko engine open-sourced

Ripper

Зичу Вам успіхів
Might be of interest to our budding game devs. Quite a powerful C# engine developed by Silicon Studio, now open sourced under the MIT license. Definitely has potential, and aims for higher end games than Godot.

https://xenko.com/

iOS and Android through Xamarin
Looks like Unity clone. Then again, why shouldn't I make candy crush clone and scam millions to buy lolipops? Why not you? Why are we all wasting time here instead of becoming successful con artists.
Here's hope majority who'll use this will just switch from RPGmaker to it and continue making proper games instead of random generators.

Well, one of the reasons open source engines interest me is that they provide the freedom for some interesting business approaches. For example, a community could collaborate on using the platform to create a good RPG engine, free for them all to use. Then they could create their own modules, and sell the modules in any way they liked. I've often thought that could have some potential.

With proprietary engines, you'd run into legal complications.

Where do you find these Ripper? Thanks for sharing another one.:party:

Last edited:
I'm not thrilled by unity. As C# as it is, its really its own thing meant to work with its designer and its own library. I also can't find good written tutorials on 2d RPG design, only annoying videos.

I will be checking it out. I hope the MIT license doesn't require non-commercial projects or be forced to make them open source. I see its been pretty popular lately.

Well, one of the reasons open source engines interest me is that they provide the freedom for some interesting business approaches. For example, a community could collaborate on using the platform to create a good RPG engine, free for them all to use. Then they could create their own modules, and sell the modules in any way they liked. I've often thought that could have some potential.

With proprietary engines, you'd run into legal complications.

Interesting, because this has been my dream.

I will be checking it out. I hope the MIT license doesn't require non-commercial projects or be forced to make them open source. I see its been pretty popular lately.

No, that's the point of the MIT - you're free to do what you like with it, not bound to open source derivative works. The GPL imposes that, and that's suitable for certain situations, but for a game engine it would reduce it to being a toy, as no-one would release a commercial game with it.

Looks like Unity clone. Then again, why shouldn't I make candy crush clone and scam millions to buy lolipops? Why not you? Why are we all wasting time here instead of becoming successful con artists.
Here's hope majority who'll use this will just switch from RPGmaker to it and continue making proper games instead of random generators.

What, candy crush. Please. Be lazy, go for a Flappy bird clone instead with the same results ($$$).

Have to say this is extremely promising.

Haven't checked it out in-depth or anything, but my primary concern would be about how much documentation and how many tutorials are available.

One of the reasons I've gone with Unity for my current project is because there's a near-infinite pool of resources available online, both in terms assets, but also a wide range of text-based tutorials and easy-to-digest videos.

This is the first time I'm doubting my choice, though - which is probably a very good thing.

I remember being way too stubborn about sticking to XNA before I switched to Unity - and that was clearly a mistake. I can't tell you how much easier it was to do my dungeon crawler engine in Unity than it was in XNA.

I spent months and months coming up with a decent solution in XNA - where I basically had to do it the old way of patching together a wide range of segmented dungeon walls - using fiddly math and shit.

In Unity - it's merely a matter of creating a wall prefab, placing multiple of those into a scene based on your map - and then adjusting the camera and movement to match whatever you want - and, boom, you can walk around in your dungeon.

Well, there's a little more to it - but that's basically it.

I'd advise sticking with Unity for your first project. I think the wealth of resources and tutorials heavily outweighs any disadvantages for a first game. In your situation, as few roadblocks as possible will be important.

Also, you never know with new open source projects - some of them catch on and build a serious community (like Blender) and some don't, and wither away. I'd want to see a good record of support and patching, plenty of pull requests and issues being addressed on github, and so on. If it's in good shape after a year or so, I'd be more willing to jump in. For now I'd file under "interesting".

I wonder what that means?

With Xamarin it should be able to run in Linux, and Xamarin is not their project.

/me wonders if base Mono can be installed in VS and Xamarin can be bypassed altogether

Well, any C# program is likely to be Windows-centric, as it's a Microsoft language. Xamarin is a package that lets you use C# to write for other platforms.

Right. It was successful kickstarter that was based on Mono. MS was so impressed, they bought the company and integrated it. I think C#, if anything (and ironically), is becoming the language of choice for cross platform development because of it.

Back
Top Bottom