|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Anime Discussion Thread

Default Anime Discussion Thread

May 11th, 2018, 19:04
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
To this day I'm not sure why Lelouch impressed so many people. IMO the whole thing is overrated. Maybe it feels unique enough to anime newcomers?
You'll probably be happy to know Code Geass will receive the third season this or next year. No, I don't know what, why and is it a prequel or "midquel" considering the story had it's closure.
I found season one pretty good. Second season is way off in pacing, and just lacks the same intrigue as the first. Unfortunately, the second season drags down the series enough to make the whole show mediocre IMO.

I'm surprised it's gotten a third season.

Mustawd

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 25th, 2018, 18:50
The Spring season is over.

The only show I watched all through was Toki no Miko (Katana Maiden), it's part of a multi-media project meant to promote a mobile game from Square Enix. Started slow, but it was pretty awesome from ep 4-5 onward, a bit of slowdown at the start of the second half, but I personally though it ended strong with the last 5 episodes. Most fighting scenes were pretty good and it was mostly plot focused. Surprisingly, for an anime with a purely female cast, it was very tame in term of fanservices (aka pantie shots, blatant yuri, etc).

I also watched Houseki no Kuni (Land of the Lustrous) because some people claim it was better than Made in Abyss last year. I found Houseki somewhat boring, it has an interesting premise and awesome artstyle, but outside of that not much. It also kinda ended when it started to get good (it's based on an manga which isn't even done yet).
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

June 26th, 2018, 00:28
I hated Made in Abyss till it's 10th episode which is brilliant! If anyone reads this, skip everything and watch only the 10th episode of that show. But that aside…

The only thing in spring season I went following was Tokyo Ghoul third season which is pathetic. I wish I didn't start it, please, don't repeat my mistake, nothing worth your time will happen in there. Stick with the first season of that show and end watching it there.

And I went on with new episodes of Black Clover, now that one… Makes me smile. A lot. It's so horribly wrong, it sucks, you know it's rubbish, but if you ever try it, you'll have fun with it, I promise.

Finally if you didn't know all three ONA episodes of King's Avatar are legally available on youtube with english subs. Don't skippit - it has even more spectacular keyboard+mouse gameplay fingerplay animation. I have some serious urge to create gifs from it and use here on the forum when mushrooms need some slapping.
Those three plus the whole first season if you missed it, are available on official Tencent channel or use some playlist like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSja…rKLVTOOMi5dCsE
Season 2 of this show should appear later this year, apparently.

Still waiting for Steins;Gate second season to be completed before watching it - most probably just as it's first season that thing needs to be binged.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; June 26th, 2018 at 00:41.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

June 26th, 2018, 04:16
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Finally if you didn't know all three ONA episodes of King's Avatar are legally available on youtube with english subs.
What happened to the artstyle????? Everyone looks different.

edit: Now I need more episodes!!!!
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer
Last edited by azarhal; June 26th, 2018 at 05:32.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

June 26th, 2018, 17:13
ONA episodes were made by a different studio.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 9th, 2018, 18:35
Attack on Titan season 3 is about to begin airing. I'll wait till it's done then binge it whole.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35760/…yojin_Season_3

Season 3 trailer:
loading…

Of all other summer anime I can't pinpoint somrthing that could be interesting. I admit looking at the list just briefly, but it seems generally ecchi, harem/reverseharem and fujoshi/fudanshi bait crap: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season
Anyone spotted something that could turn into some quality material?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 9th, 2018, 19:19
You might like Grand Blue, despite the preview of peaceful diving in the ocean and super gay dudes, it's about college students alcohol binge drinking adventures from what I've read from people who read the manga.

Didn't you watch Japanese Ghost stories? Yami Shibai 6 is the 6th seasons of that.

I heard good stuff about Island (2 episodes already out), but I haven't checked it out yet.

Tenrou: Sirius the Jaeger is by P.A. Works. They made some anime that I liked (Canaan and Kuromukuro). If one anime with vampires wasn't enough, there is also Phantom in the Twilight too (preview makes it look plot-heavy). Both are original anime so no source material to judge what they are going to be like, I'm going to check the first episode at least.
--

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

+1:

July 9th, 2018, 23:06
As a matter of fact I was looking at starting another anime show as it has been awhile. I see Netflix has like 20 new ones so suggestions are welcome.

In the meantime I just picked one without looking at opinions or reviews: your lies in April. It is about a teenager who is a masterful piano player, but lost his ability to play since his mother died. So it is about him overcoming his fears of playing.

It is a lot of (teenager) drama and emotional stuff so it is not for everyone, there is also a lot of the typical Japanese drawing style when people are angry, etc. But damn it, I want to know who wins the piano contest there is also a darker and more mature tone to the show.

It made me think of Yuri (the ice skating show) which i have yet to see despite recommendations here, but I imagine it has similar elements.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

July 10th, 2018, 01:03
your lies in April in April is an awesome anime.

If you like it, Nodame Cantabile is somewhat similar but with older protagonists. No idea if that is on Neflix in your area though.
--

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

July 10th, 2018, 17:31
I watched the first episode of Island last night. I think I'm going to pass. People said the visual novel wasn't eroge but there was a rather subjective scenes right at the start in a flashback and 5 minutes later a teenage girl faceplanted into the junk of the MC who was naked…
--

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

July 10th, 2018, 17:40
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
your lies in April in April is an awesome anime.

If you like it, Nodame Cantabile is somewhat similar but with older protagonists. No idea if that is on Neflix in your area though.
If you can't watch netflix, you can try with another legal stream on Crunchyroll although it's also not available everywhere on Earth:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/your-lie-in-april
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 11th, 2018, 00:06
I can watch Netflix. I can even watch your lies in April on Netflix. Not sure if Yuri is on it though.

BTW, think the content is more or less the same between European countries these days

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 11th, 2018, 13:41
Yuri on Ice?
Loved it. Started watching it because of ice skating animation, but the story takes an unexpected turn (at least to me) and for some reason I've enjoyed it immensly. I'm yet another fudanshi.
It did get some awards, but IMO some were plain wrong. For example it got best opening award which was a horrible choice, at least one other anime had it better (Drifters). Nevertheless even if you don't like where the story will move, it's definetly an unique show and just that makes it worth a shot. Hint: never skip end credits - one of them will explain everything.

I watched it on Crunchyroll (legit stream that covers many countries, just not some):
http://www.crunchyroll.com/yuri-on-ice
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 11th, 2018, 21:38
Still browsing and watching the Winter 2018 season.
Violet Evergarden is a strong and great anime(even if it is a Netflix show). Or Netflix invested in it. Nevertheless,a great story driven drama show. Pure eye-candy artstyle.

Yuri on ice is pure garbage btw.
Your lie in April is one of those masterpieces in the Anime industry. And Nodame Cantabile is great also(more light and positive show).
Very enjoyable. I watched right after Your lie in April.

There is really not much on the plate of Summer season. Beside AOT,excited about that one.
Since I liked the Kaiji series,this one is interesting for me https://myanimelist.net/anime/37338/…iroku_Tonegawa
Ready for some psychotic stares and gleams,with frantic laughter and crazy big smiles.
--
"Man is born free, yet everywhere he is in chains." - - J. J. Rousseau

Black Rune

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 13th, 2018, 14:56
I though I watched only a few episodes of AOT season 2, turns out I only missed the last 2 episodes, lol.

I also went and read all the manga chapters since I stopped around chapter 60-something…and now I'm more interested in what season 4 will show.
--

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

July 14th, 2018, 14:03
Originally Posted by Black Rune View Post
Violet Evergarden is a strong and great anime(even if it is a Netflix show). Or Netflix invested in it. Nevertheless,a great story driven drama show. Pure eye-candy artstyle.
What's wrong with Netflix shows?

I started Violet Evergarden when it came on because of the artstyle. However, couldn't hold my attention for more than two episodes. Maybe I should give it another shot then.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 14th, 2018, 14:19
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
What's wrong with Netflix shows?
Too many are not good, that's what's wrong. For example Ajin was phenomenal while Iron Fortress Kabaneri was plain piece of s.

Apropos Ajin, it has three aditional OVAs not available on Netflix. Usually, these additional materials are just an unimportant filler not worth your time nor money, but in case of Ajin they contain crucial info on the story, characters and setting.
These OVAs were distributed on DVDs bundled with certain manga issues and for all I know there is no any site streaming them legally. Which is a shame and Netflix deserves a middlefinger for that.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; July 14th, 2018 at 14:33.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Thumbs down 

July 16th, 2018, 13:08
I liked Sidonia and Ajin, maybe I did not watch other Netflix funded shows yet.

Netflix definitely deserves the middle-finger for not picking up the expanse. Watching season 3 through other means. I'm already depressed I will have to wait another year after this.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 16th, 2018, 14:39
This spring I really enjoyed Megalobox with the "old school" styled art and coloring, the ending was a bit meh, but overall the show was pretty decent.

Haven't finished but so far really liking Hanamatsuri, Golden Kamuy and Lupin. Wotakoi on amazon prime is a nice slice of life too.

I'm an old fan of Full Metal panic, but this new come back to the series was a bit…underwhelming for me. Seems like many enjoyed it but I didn't like computer CG animation parts that much …and recaps? It's been 10 episodes and there's 2 recaps, one after the 4th episode…wtf?
--
Steam: Galaad97

Galaad

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Galaad

July 16th, 2018, 15:55
Ajin looks interesting, thank you for the many recommendations joxer, I always find something to watch.

Strafe

Watchdog
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Anime Discussion Thread