Underrail - Interview with Dejan Radisic

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
TheGG interviewed Dejan Radisic, who developed Underrail, and asked him about development and what he is planning.

Nenad
A lot of people say that Underrail is hard, sometimes even too hard. Did you plan to make a game like this, and do you think the games today are too easy?

Dejan
I don't necessarily agree with the notion that Underrail is hard, and would say that it requires the player to be involved and pay attention. Once the player is familiarized with the game mechanics and weapons at hand, the game gets a lot easier.

Since the game expects the player to make the effort and pay attention, it can look too hard for new players.

When it comes to today's games generally, I think we have a wide variety of games, thanks to digital distribution, especially when it comes to "niche" games. I think that people today have no problem, finding the games that they find hard or challenging.

[...]
More information.

Hmm...haven't played the expansion yet is it good?

Hmm…haven't played the expansion yet is it good?

Same here, not sure if I should do a new play thru before the DLC as it's been a while since I played the original? Positive reviews on steam.

As for the game being hard, "hell yeah" but in a good way. I will never forget the moment I deciphered the mutagen puzzle, One of my most defining moments in gaming.

Since the DLC is integrated in the main game, I would probably start a new run.
Thanks I didn't know that. So a re-play is the better option then.

If I remember he is developing another expansion?

Just checked because I was curious : this is my 5th most played game as listed on steam with 275h...

Ouch! I really should play this game now that they added automap. I had started it but was too lazy to remember the map and they eventually re-added the map feature so i think i'll start playing after i finish kingmaker which is on pause while i meditate over printing presses.

Just checked because I was curious : this is my 5th most played game as listed on steam with 275h…

I only played the game once after the expeditions dlc and it is probably one of the best areas in the game in my opinion.

It has a few loose ends but still really interesting.

So I'd say worth a play.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

At what point in the game (or level) should Expedition be played, in your opinion ?

At what point in the game (or level) should Expedition be played, in your opinion ?
Oh. Sorry I don't remember but it seemed around the mid game. Probably after going through a large amount of core city content is when I did it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Excellent game with probably the best DLC idea!! Underrails unique atmosphere and map graphics I think is best. I pitched the idea to Styg that PSI combat should be more spectacular. But he said his game is not friggin' Warhammer.

Maybe it should be a little bit: Combat execution sucks and is way behind the times in Underrail. For excellent turn-based combat look at Fallout 1-2 or Etherlords 1-2! There they show, how an engagement should look like in RPGs! Even the developers of Baldur's Gate 1-2 realized, they had to insert extreme body-chunk-exploding gore, so participants on the battlescape can do some acrobatics in their death. Lot more animated, acrobatic combat action this game would have needed, instead of the current, clay-puppet-like static / still-life, where the only moving parts are the red HP numbers flying up…

If you wanna be truly enchanted & awed, then rather play Valkyria Chronicles 4, because they deliver powerfully multiple times during the story. Whereas Underrail is a slow-slow walk in the swamp.

Back
Top Bottom