What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Haven't seen it, but based on that segment - it looks like the kind of movie where I might smile at the premise - but lose interest after 10 minutes of stretching out a very limited concept.

That said, I don't know what secrets it might hold.

I'm not a big "comedy" guy - which is probably a big surprise ;)

Though I sometimes surprise myself.

The last stupid comedy I really enjoyed was that Wahlberg flick The Other Guys - which is not exactly the most intellectual feast you could enjoy.

It's ok. I mean I guess for the type of movie it was ok but it is pretty lame overall. I mean nothing struck me as being that creative or original. It just takes a simple concept to an extreme. I guess if you find that funny it might entertain you but i mostly just found it stupid.

Yeah, I've already seen the movie. It's basically one of those "it's so stupid it's funny" movies. :)

Haven't seen it, but based on that segment - it looks like the kind of movie where I might smile at the premise - but lose interest after 10 minutes of stretching out a very limited concept.

I'm not a big "comedy" guy - which is probably a big surprise ;)

Those lines look like something I'd write about myself.

I don't know how stupidity is a limited concept. :p

I guess if you find stupidity funny you'll like it but if you find stupidity annoying you won't?

Imagine two toddlers who cover the walls and themselves in paint. That's a stupid thing to do. So, do you film it and put it on youtube and have a laugh or do you lose your shit and get annoyed?

Him or me?
I get annoyed. The vid about some girl who doesn't want her pizza cut in 12 pieces but 8 becaause she won't be able to eat it otherwise, got on my nerves in 3 seconds. This one:

In other words, I find stupidity highly irritating and not funny at all.

Imagine two toddlers who cover the walls and themselves in paint. That's a stupid thing to do. So, do you film it and put it on youtube and have a laugh or do you lose your shit and get annoyed?

I get bored very easily. I need something that engages my brain on some level (should be relatively evident from my activity level on this site - as I'm mostly at work when I'm the most active) - and I find the best comedy is smart comedy. What you're describing sounds like incredibly boring comedy.

I would only be annoyed if I felt I'd made some kind of effort to experience it, though.

I don't get bored that easily, but I do agree with Darth on comedy. To be honest I don't recall a US comedy that I actually thought was any good. Nowadays whenever a US movie has a comedy label on it, I just skip it. Actually, if I do watch movies with a comedy label, they usually are from the UK.

@joxer;
I can't believe she kept her face that straight. That girls a PRO! I'm sure the formula gets old fast, though.
@Myrthos;
Yeah, UK comedy has always been better. In a bit of a slump, atm, though. I really didn't like that recent-ish comedy with "the only gay in the village" and all that. Can you name any new stuff I might not have seen?

@Darth Tagnan;
I like smart comedy. I used to make a point to laugh at the jokes in my parents movies just to show I got it.

But I also like silly comedy, like Monty Python!

I even sort of like the Eric Andre show, or the interviews, anyway.

Could you recommend me any comedies? Does Denmark make films I should see?

Here's an example of an extremely silly skit I found very entertaining.

But I also like silly comedy, like Monty Python!

I even sort of like the Eric Andre show, or the interviews, anyway.

Could you recommend me any comedies? Does Denmark make films I should see?

Here's an example of an extremely silly skit I found very entertaining.

Monty Python is among the smartest of comedies :)

I'm not the greatest person to ask about comedies, though. The ones joxer mentioned are the Danish versions of mainstream movies - which means they're very popular. I believe he also enjoys some of our mainstream crime shows - like Forbrydelsen and Broen. First seasons of both shows are very good but not brilliant or anything.

What we are really good at, in Denmark - is drama and crime. The best TV show of all time would be Matador - and that's a Danish show. It's primarily drama, but there's some comedy in there as well.

It far exceeds all other shows I've seen in terms of plausible human drama - where each and every character has an arc, is compelling and acted with tremendous talent.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077051/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_9

In terms of comedies, I think we did a lot better during the 50s and 60s - where Dirch Passer ruled the scene. Later on, it became farcical and stupid.

But you can pick pretty much any movie with Dirch Passer before that time - and get a great experience.

Baronessen fra benzintanken is one of the most popular movies in Denmark - and is a very good representation of the Danish lighthearted romantic comedy. Not my personal favorite, but it's very good indeed.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053636/?ref_=nv_sr_2

My own personal favorites when it comes to comedy would be stuff like Black Adder or A bit of Fry and Laurie.

I like British humor the most, because it's very much in line with my own.

I'm getting both the "they eat dogs" movies to start.

There's a saying in China "eat everything from the air but aeroplane, eat everything from the land but car, eat everything from the ocean but submarine"

I never got into Black Adder or Mr Bean, even though I think Atkinson is great.

Fry and laurie, I don't think we ever got that over here. They look so young in the images!

You might like this satire, dart. Feel like I've mentioned it before.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ClarkeAndDawe

I'm getting both the "they eat dogs" movies to start.

There's a saying in China "eat everything from the air but aeroplane, eat everything from the land but car, eat everything from the ocean but submarine"

I never got into Black Adder or Mr Bean, even though I think Atkinson is great.

Fry and laurie, I don't think we ever got that over here. They look so young in the images!

You might like this satire, dart. Feel like I've mentioned it before.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ClarkeAndDawe

Black Adder season 1 is pretty bad. But S2-S4 are great.

I don't like Mr. Bean. Atkinson is much, much better when he's being intellectual - as he's a smart guy.

Here's a good example of ABoFaL:

Well, my favourite Danish director, Nicolas Winding Refn, just launched a movie streaming site where you can watch old cult films for free. (Danish is the correct word, right? From Denmark?)

Too late for me to start watching now, but I'm looking forward to checking it out properly tomorrow!

https://www.bynwr.com/

First Reformed 7/10

A little slow, especially in the beginning. But ultimately an interesting and very intimate film. I've always loved Ethan Hawke, for some reason - even though I find it hard to separate his personality from his roles.

I liked the ending, too.

Infinity Wars zzz/10

I managed around 15 minutes. The only reason I bothered is because some of my friends said it was fantastic.

I can't wait until people wake up from this Marvel fantasy.

Back
Top Bottom