Witcher 2 Anyone using their Witcher 1 save?

The Witcher 2

mbuddha

Sentinel
Just launched the game and noticed an option for importing TW1 save.

I did finish the first one but it was an another PC. I think I'm not going to bother with this as I'm not sure what exactly it is. It says "Witcher 1 save not available: character settings will not be imported"

If it has to do with choices made in the first game.... well I do remember some that I made so maybe that could be neat but who knows...

A quick search also revealed that a specific end game save (in TW1) that may not have been created for all players is what's required to do this.

Yes,the option allows certain choices you made in The Witcher to be reflected in TW2. I unfortunately seem to have deleted mine - the folder is still in my documents, but it was empty :(

When i started the game, it asked me for the save file.

I said yes.
Then it automatically located something. I approved it.

I didnt even realize i have W1 save game still on my PC.
And the option never came up again.

I imported my final save game from TW1. I have no idea how much influence my actions in the first game will have in TW2 but hopefully it will be more consitent than Mass Effect were only parts of your choices were reflected and others were disregarded.

It also imports certain items if you had them at the end of TW1. For instance, I started with the sword "Aerondight".

Indeed it does, it seems to me that at least whatever steel sword you had from TW1 goes obsolete pretty quickly, but the same cannot be said for the armor. I haven't found anything close to Raven's Armor yet and it's one of the best-looking armors in a game, ever, as well. :)

But maybe you have it with the standard start as well, or the Order version of it?

I lost my saves. Dunno why, but I lost they aren't in any of my Backups. Which is strange because I usually back stuff like that up.

I´m playing with neutral path/ Triss import.
There hasn´t been much in the way of story related reflections so far (I think I´m quite close to the end of chapter 1), but that may be because neutral/Triss seems to be considered "canon"/default by The Witcher 2 or the changes are simply too subtle to be noticed on first playthrough.
Foltest mentioned I´ve saved Adda and there was one Thaler related encounter which felt like it might be something influenced by import.

I think that playing for example with Scoia'tael/Shani import would generally yield more noticeable set of changes, but that´s what replay´s for.

If the save was on this PC I would certainly have tried it out. But I don't mind either way, I just wanted to jump in. I didn't mind the Triss openings one bit. I went against the Scoia'tael and with Shani in the first one. I think.

I imported too, neutral path-Triss, same as above. I was trying a Elf-Shani game but got bored in Chapter IV and didn't finish. Raven's armor is a nice little perk. Triss is pretty perky too :)

It also imports certain items if you had them at the end of TW1. For instance, I started with the sword "Aerondight".

Yeah same here. And you also get Raven's armor! Although I noticed the stats for both items are significantly mediocre, which is understandable for game progression. Seems like a cool feature - I'm using a neutral/Triss/saved Adda/ saved Abigail etc...

You never choose between the Order or the Elves. There is a neutral path always in the big decisions between them.

OK, thanks. It's two years since I completed TW1 and couldn't recall you didn't have to choose side at some point.

Actually, the Neutral path is decided by one choice in Chapter IV, regardless of your other decisions.

I thought I had sided with the Order since I had chosen them all but one time throughout the game, but deciding not to take sides in the big fight in ch4 made all my prior choices moot.

They should have made some different defaults fake import as in DA2, it's cool to try different imports.

But if well done, the best is what is coming with Mass Effect 3 and a little cartoon allowing you simulate a past play and import through some choices made along a small cartoon before the start of the game.

Actually, the Neutral path is decided by one choice in Chapter IV, regardless of your other decisions.

I thought I had sided with the Order since I had chosen them all but one time throughout the game, but deciding not to take sides in the big fight in ch4 made all my prior choices moot.

How do you know that? You already played multiple times TW2 and compared the consequences from different imports?

How do you know that? You already played multiple times TW2 and compared the consequences from different imports?

He's talking about TW1, not TW2. And he is correct. There is one major choice that determines whether you are a neutral character, pro-order of flaming rose, or pro-sccoiatel. This affects future quests, future difficulty, and changes the way your future armor looks. Playing the neutral path for me was most rewarding and felt like the "right" thing for Geralt to do, but it is more challenging, because it essentially doubles your enemies in some locations.

He's talking about TW1, not TW2. And he is correct. There is one major choice that determines whether you are a neutral character, pro-order of flaming rose, or pro-sccoiatel. This affects future quests, future difficulty, and changes the way your future armor looks. Playing the neutral path for me was most rewarding and felt like the "right" thing for Geralt to do, but it is more challenging, because it essentially doubles your enemies in some locations.

Ha ok, in TW1 it was rather clear that intermediate decisions was just that and not yet a definitive side choice. So it was auto justified that some decisions hadn't real consequences apart probable few dialogs and only one related decision but involving a real side choice had a really strong consequences. As JDR quoted it it seems incoherent but I didn't felt it was.

Back
Top Bottom