Kingmaker - Review @ Gamesxtreme

This games occupies 100% of my available game time since I started with it. Which was approximately one week after release. Now Im at beginning of fourth chapter. So far I spent most of the time in first 2 chapters and steamrolled through 3rd very quickly in comparison.

I am already sure this game will require more then 1 run from me. I am already thinking about different build options and evil baron possibilities.

This has great potential to become one of those RPGs which I can play multiple times over many years (like BG2 or Gothic 2 were for me).

Yep, agree. Ever since Kingmaker has been released I played nothing but this :) I'm already on my second play (didn't finish my first one because of the game breaking bug), but I can see myself doing at least a couple more runs later on. Although at times, I found this game quite draining (very intense, unlike BG2 which I enjoyed from the beginning to the end without feeling stressed or super frustrated).

Really looking forward to this, sounds like waiting a while is the best bet.

Daniel.

Reading all those comments make me wonder if I should not start to play even if I risk experiencing game breaking bugs annihilating dozens of hours of game..
People do not even seem to mind.

A big reason people don't mind are the first two chapters are stable and the Pathfinder system is so fun making new characters. You can even make two different druids that would not play the same way at all.

I think people would not be as forgiving if it didn't have the D&D system behind it.

A big reason people don't mind are the first two chapters are stable and the Pathfinder system is so fun making new characters. You can even make two different druids that would not play the same way at all.

I think people would not be as forgiving if it didn't have the D&D system behind it.
I got two different druids. One is a caster druid that goes around with a party. This one has a bigger focus on mental stats. His focus is also summoning things to fight for you.

Another is an animal companion druid that also focuses on shapeshifting and solos the game :)
This one has high physical stats and high wisdom.

That may certainly be a part of the truth, when I compare this game to the quite similar PoE 1 & 2, there's just no competition, while I did enjoy those games, this game is much, much more fun than either of those titles. Exploring the game world, combat, character development, the main storyline, companion interactions...on almost every relevant point, "Pathfinder" comes out on top.

With so much going for it, all the rough edges can be tolerated as long as there's nothing gamebreaking.

Pathfinder system.

There is also a lots of choices & options in the branching quests/dialogues which leads to lots of replayability.

I'm somewhat surprised people appear so fond of the companions. After the initial exposition, they're hardly involved at all. I don't mind them, but I'll probably go with heavily customized parties in the future, as I don't feel they add much beyond offering the odd quest here or there.

I'm somewhat surprised people appear so fond of the companions. After the initial exposition, they're hardly involved at all. I don't mind them, but I'll probably go with heavily customized parties in the future, as I don't feel they add much beyond offering the odd quest here or there.

Well, I'm only 14 hours in, so I can't say much more than that I found the ones I have met this far more..."relateable" somehow, when compared to "Eder, Durance, Kana, Pallegina, Serafen, Xoti, Tekehu" from the PoE games.

I can't quite put my finger on what the significant difference is, I just know that I'd like to learn more about these guys regardless, while I didn't with the PoE guys. (but did anyway for the sake of quests and/or bonuses).

Many of them have a say here and there during major and some minor quests.

Many of them have a say here and there during major and some minor quests.

I'm in chapter 4 at the moment, and so far it's happened twice:

Amiri helped me out a bit with the Barbarians at the end of chapter 3, and then Tristan betrayed me.
Other than that, it's usually just Harrim going on about doom and gloom.

I'm in chapter 4 at the moment, and so far it's happened twice:

Amiri helped me out a bit with the Barbarians at the end of chapter 3, and then Tristan betrayed me.
Other than that, it's usually just Harrim going on about doom and gloom.
Overall companions have more to say and do than in Baldur's Gate 2.

Reading all those comments make me wonder if I should not start to play even if I risk experiencing game breaking bugs annihilating dozens of hours of game..
People do not even seem to mind.

I'd actually suggest to wait for the "big patch". I stopped my recent playthrough until then, too.

The game is certainly playable (and enjoyable) as it is. But they promised to fix some stuff that annoyed me in a previous, uncompleted playthrough (including two quests that interfere in an unintended way).

I really would prefer to roll my own entire party, but the cost to do so is simply massive. I therefore picked a few companions that seemed well suited to me, and hit the exploration trail.

Companions in Kingmaker have several personal quests over a long period of time and I really loved seeing how their character developed/changed. I found Harrim, Jubilost, Nok-Nok, and Amiri's one especially good.

You still haven't seen all of their quests yet, Maylander ;)

Overall companions have more to say and do than in Baldur's Gate 2.
Yes, though they are more akin to BG2 companions than more recent games. Perhaps that's why so many are fond of them? Feels more like BG2? The amount of stuff said and done by the companions of PoE2, Div: OS2 and so on is much greater. They're practically sticking their noses into every quest. I personally like it, but others might not.

I really would prefer to roll my own entire party, but the cost to do so is simply massive. I therefore picked a few companions that seemed well suited to me, and hit the exploration trail.
Yeah, the key is to do it early on.

Companions in Kingmaker have several personal quests over a long period of time and I really loved seeing how their character developed/changed. I found Harrim, Jubilost, Nok-Nok, and Amiri's one especially good.

You still haven't seen all of their quests yet, Maylander ;)
No, but that's the point. They have their quests and that's it. There is little to see beyond that. It feels like I go 10 hours between each time I interact with any of them.

Edit: I should point out that I do like the quests.

No, but that's the point. They have their quests and that's it. There is little to see beyond that. It feels like I go 10 hours between each time I interact with any of them.

I suppose its difference in opinion but I felt they contribute enough to each event. Valerie's been getting on my nerves by sprouting unwanted advice often. Tristian always comment to show others mercy, along with Octavia. Linzi and Jubilost been quite vocal as well. Harrim and Ekun interject quite often too, especially when discussing about Torag. The only quiet one that I travel often with was Amiri (surprisingly).

Between adventuring, attending to companion personal quests, camping and listening to their advice for the kingdom, I really felt there is satisfying amount of interactions. But I guess that's just me :)

I haven't played PoE2 nor D:OS2 so I can't comment on them.

Last edited:
I've really enjoyed the hours I've put into this game, but parked it maybe a month ago due to all the incoming patches. I paused right during some Troll invasion, thinking it would stick in my mind when I return to the game. I'll likely pick it up sometime early next year.

Stopped there as well. I feel that I have to put in more hours in to it to get hooked but instead I just play something else.

The first chapter seemed slow and one of the dungeons reminded me of NWN 2 OC. I am not a fan of the writing and some of the characters are annoying, like that magus propositioning to my bro halfling. The game is also kind of ugly, especially compared to PoE II.

I think it should be better the further you go, though.

I suppose its difference in opinion but I felt they contribute enough to each event. Valerie's been getting on my nerves by sprouting unwanted advice often. Tristian always comment to show others mercy, along with Octavia. Linzi and Jubilost been quite vocal as well. Harrim and Ekun interject quite often too, especially when discussing about Torag. The only quiet one that I travel often with was Amiri (surprisingly).

Between adventuring, attending to companion personal quests, camping and listening to their advice for the kingdom, I really felt there is satisfying amount of interactions. But I guess that's just me :)

I haven't played PoE2 nor D:OS2 so I can't comment on them.

Ah, I forgot about camping conversations. People that only camp on overland map miss out on a lot of very awesome VOICED interactions.

Back
Top Bottom