RPGWatch Feature - ICY Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
For his next review, forgottenlor decided for something colder and checked out the Frostbite edition of ICY.

I'm nearly out of medicine and that's not good. In the post-nuclear winter world of ICY, medicine is the only way to heal your wounded party members, and it's pretty difficult to find throughout most of the game. So I set about trying to scavenge ruins that don't seem too dangerous, because the last thing I need is to get into another fight with no way to heal up. I really hope that I find some disinfectant or bandages, as those raise up my medical supply. No such luck. I move to the next point on the map and hope I don't trigger another event, since Carlos and Mobolaji seem to be at each other's throats, and while I'd be willing to banish Carlos from the group, I'd rather not lose his wife April. Luckily, no event is triggered, but I do find a house. There is a hole in the floor, but luckily, I have a rope, which I can sacrifice to explore the hole. Inside I at least find some chemicals. With those and some cloth, I can be craft bandages. My medicine supply goes up from 8 to 9. A small victory, but a victory nonetheless. ICY is a survival-RPG, which despite its low budget manages to pull off what few other low budget RPGs do, namely being a full blown RPG, with the all the RPG elements you could wish for, but within a fairly limited scope.
More information.

Thanks forgottenlor!

Thanks for scratching my curiosity itch, forgottenlor. It sounds like a worthwhile purchase and the Steam price ($13) is pretty low.

I tried it but felt like I was watching someone else play a game while I offered occasional suggestions. However, I returned it before the two hour mark so I only saw 1/4 of the game.

I played the first version some time ago and liked it. Was then distracted by something else.
The card mechanics are new in the Frostbite Edition and sound interesting. Will have to try again at some point.

Thanks for the review @forgottenlor; ! Nice job ! :) I tried the Frostbite edition and I did not like it at all. Far too shallow of an RPG experience for my liking.

Thanks for the review @forgottenlor; ! Nice job ! :) I tried the Frostbite edition and I did not like it at all. Far too shallow of an RPG experience for my liking.

I can see that. I find it makes up in breadth what it lacks in depth, but for someone who wants real mechanical complexity Icy is probably not the best choice. I also think a lot of CRPGS have somewhat comparable depth in their first 8-9 hours, with more complex character building options opening up later in the game. Icy ends before it gets to that point, which I forgave it considering its budget and ambition.

I also liked the game quite a lot.
A good example for a game that actually achieved what it set out to do with a very limited budget.

Especially the combat - so much achieved with so little spent on assets.

Another great review! Thanks, @forgottenlor; :)

"ICY's writing, story, companions and atmosphere are well done, well enough so that they carry the game. On the other hand, ICY offers nothing that we have not seen in other games. Nor is there any surprising plot twists like one experiences in the best-written role-playing games."

I totally agree with this but also want to add that the writing IS the game in this case, since it is not resting on its graphics or action-oriented gameplay. What I thought the game excelled at (having played the original and the re-issue) was ATMOSPHERE. It really made you feel part of that world - I actually felt cold playing the game. I think it accomplished this because it relies more on your imagination, like older RPG games like Bard's Tale I-III, and imagination activates more feeling in the gamer. So I think if like that older style of gaming, this is gametime well-spent.

Back
Top Bottom