RPG Codex - 2012-2016 GOTY Results

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Felipepepe of the RPGCodex wanted to know if we are really living in an age of incline (RPG-wise) - here are the results of his poll:

The Age of Incline: RPG Codex's 2012-2016 GOTY Results

Ladies and gentleman, welcome to the RPG Codex's latest poll results!

As you all know, the mid/late 2000's were quite sad for RPG fans. We were treated to the glory of the late 90's/early 2000's with some of the best RPGs ever released, only to see the "Death of PC" - Black Isle, Sir-Tech, Troika, Looking Glass Studios, Westwood Studios, DreamForge, New World Computing, Origin - all closed down or were bought (and then closed down), leaving us under the iron, multi-platform rule of a few giant publishers.

[…]

The winners are:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Age of Decadence

Divinity: Original Sin
More information.

For me, i am not surprised at all, basically voted the same as above. Great work Felipepepe

Pillars of Eternity made it onto the bitter Codex's top 25 list? Hmm, me thinks something must be fishy with their data. ;)

That's a lot of work and really cool. I especially like the visual graph but it's all interesting to look through.

Top 25 is a good list too. Sure I'd move a couple things around for my own personal tastes but a very nice selection overall.

My top 3 from that list would be:
#1 Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC
#2 Expeditions: Conquistador
#3 Underrail

When a phonegame pwns so many better games at #6, no wonder Codex is considered a trolling site.

Gotta give them credit they got the souls games in the right order, 1,3,2. They should have been the top 3 games though.:biggrin:

Pretty good list though. The only shocker would be dragons dogma at 7. Shouldn't even be on the list imo. It's not terrible but not that good either imo.

Somebody's been spending too much time on mobiles lol

Witcher 3 on top by a good 5% even on the Codex, hell yeah!

I'm surprised to see Dragon's Dogma so high, too. I might have put it there but I'm a bigger fan than most (I just loved those huge spells).

No XCOM?? No South Park?? Well, OK, South Park might have been a bit too racey for Codex... ;)

Witcher wins even on codex? They're going a bit soft lately, aren't they?
It's amusing to see the butthurt it causes to some people. Poor ydraig is going to kill himself. :p

Gotta give them credit they got the souls games in the right order, 1,3,2. They should have been the top 3 games though.:biggrin:

Pretty good list though. The only shocker would be dragons dogma at 7. Shouldn't even be on the list imo. It's not terrible but not that good either imo.

Classical sakichop-crazy-talk, but Dogma turned out disappointing, gameplay wise.
Not bad, but more flash than substance... enemies were way too passive and heavy on health bars.

Codex says the only game better than Dogma last year was a mod.

Felipepepe's stats and graphs are impressive! Check that positives vs. known by chart. Seems like there should be a band of games going from the lower left (shovelware) to the upper right (greats) with a few cult classics below the band and some games that suckered people into pre-ordering above. There might be a bit of a band but it definitely isn't as obvious as I would have expected.

I'm surprised to see Final Fantasy X and Risen 3 did so bad.

Great job, felipepe!
Also, the results are more in line with my personal preferences.
Remove the salt and you have a pretty solid recommendation list!

Everyone always posts the total 2012-2016 order, but results for 2016 alone are all over the place. They're certainly more diverse than you'd expect from a site with reputation like Codex.

1. Fallout 1.5: Resurrection
2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
3. Dark Souls III
4. Dungeon Rats
5. Steve Jackson's Sorcery!
6. Stardew Valley
7. Grim Dawn
8. Stranger of Sword City
9. Rance VI: The Collapse of Zeth
10. Salt and Sanctuary

I love those graphs! And it seems I must finally go ahead and finish Shadowrun Returns so I can eventually get to Hong Kong...

felipepepe said:
Voidspire Tactics was voted the 8th best RPG of 2015, but it's practically unknown outside the Codex and only sold ~2k copies according to SteamSpy. Surely there are more games like that, just waiting to be found.
I wonder if felipe has enough material for something along the lines of "fun games you never heard about", though I guess finding them in the first place is the problem, as he mentioned in the article.

Classical sakichop-crazy-talk, but Dogma turned out disappointing, gameplay wise.
Not bad, but more flash than substance… enemies were way too passive and heavy on health bars.

Did you just call me crazy and then agree with what i said?:biggrin:

BobotheMighty said:
Classical sakichop-crazy-talk, but Dogma turned out disappointing, gameplay wise. Not bad, but more flash than substance… enemies were way too passive and heavy on health bars.

Did you just call me crazy and then agree with what i said?:biggrin:

That is Bobo-the-Crazy-talk. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom