Bethesda Softworks - 2 Titles before Elder Scrolls 6

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gamerant reported on a question put to Pete Hines about when to expect the next Elder Scrolls title.

Responding to questions about the release date of the next Elder Scrolls title, Pete Hines, the vice president of Bethesda Softworks, has reconfirmed that the studio’s development team has two major games planned before the release of the Elder Scrolls 6.

Hines first stated as much during an interview at E3 in June of last year, when he was asked by the interviewer about Bethesda’s plans for the Elder Scrolls series. He responded to the question by stating that the next Elder Scrolls was not yet in development, as Bethesda had two major titles in development that would release before the studio set to work on the next entry in the Elder Scrolls series.
[...]
More information.

Dammit. I was hoping for a surprise release sometime in the not too distant future - judging by this article that's very unlikely.

I guess one of the two upcoming games is Starfield, although I've not seen any information about that project in ages.

Yeah I'm not sure to be honest. I remember the name knocking around, but I don't remember seeing any updates in ages.

All we have about Starfield is Bethesda trademarking the name for video games.

Whatever starfield is the second title is most definetly ESO2.

Bethesda didn't work on the first ESO, why would they work on the 2nd? Well, unless you meant as a publisher. That would work. I find it best to just ignore Bethesda until they release a TES/Fallout game. The rest of their stuff is meaningless.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it's good to let a series grow fallow for a while then come back to it with fresh eyes.

…and a fresh engine.

Whatever starfield is the second title is most definetly ESO2.

Unless you have a reference, I doubt that. Why would they do that - competing against themselves?

Yes, there are Everquest 1 and 2, but other than that I haven't seen any (many?) ver. 2's of MMO's.

pibbur who is sure that there are watchers who may correct him if he's wrong.

Whatever…
If they keep going the same direction in their games like Fallout 4, forget about it.

Whatever…
If they keep going the same direction in their games like Fallout 4, forget about it.

Yep, FO4 was the first FO game I didn't finish. Just lost interest...I enjoyed Skyrim to a point, but the loss of mechanical depth like spell crafting, stats merging etc put me off. I guess it will only get worse, but I live in hope.

Bethesda didn't work on the first ESO, why would they work on the 2nd? Well, unless you meant as a publisher. That would work. I find it best to just ignore Bethesda until they release a TES/Fallout game. The rest of their stuff is meaningless.

You mean the stuff they publish? For my money, FO4 wasn't a promising sign re. Bethesda's RPG development, but they're one of the best publishers in the industry right now. They have a stable of AAA titles with incredible potential - arguably the best "immersive sim" (Prey), the best pure shooter (Doom), the best story-driven shooter (Wolfenstein), and one of the best survival horror games (Evil Within). I've been strongly critical of Bethesda for years, but I'm really impressed with the quality and selectivity of their publishing.

You mean the stuff they publish? For my money, FO4 wasn't a promising sign re. Bethesda's RPG development, but they're one of the best publishers in the industry right now. They have a stable of AAA titles with incredible potential - arguably the best "immersive sim" (Prey), the best pure shooter (Doom), the best story-driven shooter (Wolfenstein), and one of the best survival horror games (Evil Within). I've been strongly critical of Bethesda for years, but I'm really impressed with the quality and selectivity of their publishing.

I think you have a good point. We don't have to love everything they produce, but they do at least create "whole" games in the traditional style. Prey is a good example - it is essentially the sort of game I want to see made. Not necessarily in the details, but in its nature.

The Evil Within is not a very compelling franchise, IMO, but if they happened to have a better survival horror IP, like Dead Space, I think they would actually be making the sort of sequels we might hope to see.

Even in their attempts to further monetise their games (which seems an inescapable part of the industry now), I find the Creation Club to be a far lesser evil than other implementations of microtransactions. They're far from perfect, but I'd much rather deal with them than many of the big publishers.

Right, Bethesda as a developer I ignore unless it is TES/Fallout. As a publisher, they seem to have a pretty nice stable of developers.

This is good news for those guys who are converting Morrowind and Oblivion to Skyrim engine. They still have time to release them before the next TeS title release. :)

I think you have a good point. We don't have to love everything they produce, but they do at least create "whole" games in the traditional style. Prey is a good example - it is essentially the sort of game I want to see made. Not necessarily in the details, but in its nature.

Should Bethesda, as the publisher, get credit for creating Prey though? Same with Wolfenstein, Doom, etc.

I guess they played a part by funding(?) those titles, but I don't think any devs from Bethesda actually worked on them.

Back
Top Bottom