Why I hate being above 50

P

pibbur

The last couple of days, at the main bus station in town, a broadband providing company has had a stand where they try to catch new customers, at the same time offering them a laptop at a reduced price. For no particular reason and without any background information I am certain that it's A LOUSY PRODUCT!! So I really looked forward to tell them that.

But, and here's the main thing: They haven't tried to stop me, not even today when there were no other potential customers nearby. I stead they just nodded and smiled at me.

ARRRGH.

Same happens with cell-phone pushers. Even if I pass them again and again, even if I stop half a meter away from them pretending to be not interested at all (not unlike the behaviour of cats when they see another one of the same species), they don't try to stop me.

Hrmph!

You are now too old for technology. Perhaps a war surplus walkie-talkie for you.

0f3b87d8f170410424ff5bd4fe3b2f75.image.64x180.gif

Or you can try transmitting through your hearing aid....

I was carrying a 18.4 (HD) screen laptop with 640 GB disks. 4 GB ram, a core duo processor and a Geforce 9600 at the time.

But that walkie-talkie looked nice.

As for hearing aids: Give me a few more years with heavy metal on my iPod Classic, and then we can talk... eh ... shout.

Eh????

With that laptop, it may not have been your age...perhaps the salesmen just assumed you knew too much for him to waste his spiel on.

If it makes you feel better.

I've turned the corner on being old; I now am proud...PROUD of being eccentric, perverse, and making people repeat themselves( even though nothing has really changed since I was twenty-two on those fronts, actually...I can just get away with it more now.)

Eh????

With that laptop, it may not have been your age…perhaps the salesmen just assumed you knew too much for him to waste his spiel on.

If it makes you feel better.
THANK YOU! I think I love you....

I've turned the corner on being old; I now am proud…PROUD of being eccentric, perverse, and making people repeat themselves( even though nothing has really changed since I was twenty-two on those fronts, actually…I can just get away with it more now.)

Ahh... Options, options.

Mmm 50? Let see it like that, close your eyes and remember….

1 to 25: Good old time, childhood, studies, everything was better.

You start work at 25 or around 25… remember… that was like yesterday, time run so fast. And the older you are the shorter the years seems to be.

Remember… you drink a bit too much, you eat too much, you've been not worry about your body health, perhaps you even smoke too much…. Well if you reach 75 you'll be lucky admit it… Fine still 25 years to go…

Perhaps but look how fast was the last 25 years… it's like yesterday and the next 25 years will be even faster… just your tomorrow.

Sorry for the bad news but you have just one day forward. :)

You start work at 25 or around 25… remember… that was like yesterday, time run so fast. And the older you are the shorter the years seems to be.

Huh? What kind of blessed life did you have where you didn't have to start working until you were 25?? ;)

And let's not forget, those punk kids keep skateboarding on the damn sidewalk! ::shakes cane::

:p

Not bad, Rith, but you forgot to mention your World's Fair spoon. Rookie. ;)

I think the only things I know about the World's Fair came from the Simpsons.

I'm 38 and where I work there are people all ages, but in the department I work in (Production/Product Development/Design), I'm surrounded by a few under 30 "kids" (23 - 26 year olds). They annoy me sometimes with their "youth" but I can actually relate to some of them more sometimes than the older people, lol.

Why? Because they play video games and listen to some of the same music I listen to and like some of the same types of films. And they enjoy my brand of sarcastic and dry humor :)

Actually, my daughter is in High School and her friends think I'm cool :D They were in awe of some of the stuff I had in my music, game and CD collection, hehe. Helps that I'm younger than most of the other parents by a few years (and look it!).

I like young people.

Especially barbecued. :)

Huh? What kind of blessed life did you have where you didn't have to start working until you were 25?? ;)

Just a band of jealous people! :biggrin: Well ok 25 is a bit late but common do you mean no more studies since 20 for example? What a nightmare! ;)

So, finally one of the sales persons stopped me and asked me politely if I wanted a tiny Acer laptop for approx. 50$/month. From their website I saw they also including mobile internet access (100Mb/monnth) and 1000 free minutes IP phone access per month. But we didn't get that far.

Pibbur: No
Seller: But it's a nice netbook.
Pibbur: It's too small.
Seller: It's very practical for carrying around.
Pibbur: I have a 18'4" laptop in my backpack.
Seller: Isn't that heavy?
Pibbur: No. And your laptop has too small a screen and too narrow a keyboard to be practical for me.
Seller: In that case, have a nice day.

All in all it was rather disappointing. No flaming about how lousy their macbine and their internet subscriprition was. No ridiculing the so called need to be on-line everywhere (as long as I have online access at home, at work and at >=300 kmph trains, I'm happy). And why we're at it, I detest those gadgets from hell they call cell phones and mobile phones. I could easily have wasted his time for half an hour. My inspiration of course is Eric Idle's monologue about charter travels.

In stead it took only 3 minutes and we separated as friends.

I'm just too polite!!! Rats! And there are no one I want to flame here, so I can't practice my bad attitude. Hmm. Maybe listening to death metal will help. Time to put on some "Opeth", I guess.

Last edited:
You know, on a really good day, I can still remember 50!! :)

Back
Top Bottom