Ryzen 3900x vs 2700x - heat

P

pibbur who

On my Ryzen 2700x (8/16 cores) Win10 machine I currently run @home jobs on 6 cores, more than that generates more heat than I'm comfortable with.

The new Ryzen 3900x has 12/24 cores. However, power consumption is about the same as the 2700x (+- 10 W). Based on this I assume I can dedicate more cores (2-3) to these jobs on a 3900x, without significant increase in heat?

Am I right, or am I wrong?

No I don't (necessarily) think the 3900x is better for gaming than, say the 3700x/3500x or an i5. I claim (trying to find an excuse) to get it for charitable reasons. (this is at least partially true).

pibbur who's temperature, due to water-cooling, never rises to more than 40C during high load processing (max frequency 165).

Sadly I haven't seen 3900x in RL (and most probably won't ever) so can't say anything about it's power/temperature behavior, however there was a reported problem with MSI motherboards and that CPU:
https://community.amd.com/thread/241414

A few days ago, the same MSI promised more than 100 improvements regarding Ryzen in the next month:
https://www.pcgamer.com/msi-says-bi...n-100-improvements-to-ryzen-cpus-in-november/

One of comments there says this:
I hope this next round updates lowers idle temps. There's an issue with the Ryzen power profiles that's pushing too many volts, and another issue with windows scheduler max boosting low priority tasks.

Sadly I haven't seen 3900x in RL (and most probably won't ever) so can't say anything about it's power/temperature behavior, however there was a reported problem with MSI motherboards and that CPU:
https://community.amd.com/thread/241414

A few days ago, the same MSI promised more than 100 improvements regarding Ryzen in the next month:
https://www.pcgamer.com/msi-says-bi...n-100-improvements-to-ryzen-cpus-in-november/

One of comments there says this:

Thanks, very useful information. I have (already) decided that I'll wait until next year before doing anything.

I'd wait for the 65 watt part that should be release sometime soon - it will run cooler and only marginally slower. Doesn't really answer your question but ...

On my Ryzen 2700x (8/16 cores) Win10 machine I currently run @home jobs on 6 cores, more than that generates more heat than I'm comfortable with.

The new Ryzen 3900x has 12/24 cores. However, power consumption is about the same as the 2700x (+- 10 W). Based on this I assume I can dedicate more cores (2-3) to these jobs on a 3900x, without significant increase in heat?

Am I right, or am I wrong?

No I don't (necessarily) think the 3900x is better for gaming than, say the 3700x/3500x or an i5. I claim (trying to find an excuse) to get it for charitable reasons. (this is at least partially true).

pibbur who's temperature, due to water-cooling, never rises to more than 40C during high load processing (max frequency 165).

I'd wait for the 65 watt part that should be release sometime soon - it will run cooler and only marginally slower. Doesn't really answer your question but …
... it is really useful information.

pibbur who will wait and see.

I got a 3700x with GIGABYTE AORUS X570 ELITE, I had high idle temps with the stock cooler around 45-55 degrees Celsius and in full load going to 90.
So, I changed the cooler with an ID-Cooling SE-207, now the idle temps are around 30-35 and in full load around 70.
You also need to tweak a little how the processor manages it's overclock, because it s very sensible and even opening a browser was making it going to 4GHz.
Oh, I also changed the windows power plan to Rysen balanced and limit it to not go to 100%, which yes, has a result the processor not going to it's full bust but at the same time in games those 2% don't make much of a difference but it does make a big one on temps and noise level.

Silly me, I didn't know about the Ryzen power plans. Trying Ryzen balanced now, perhaps I can then increase the cores made available for @home. Thanks.

pibbur who found yet another useful piece of information.

PS. BTW, I have bought water cooling equipment, but so far not installed it. DS.

After selecting the Ryzen balanced powerplan, I can now give them 8 cores running at 90%, with temperatures below 70C, which actually is what I wanted.

pibbur who now probably (sadly) has no excuse for upgrading to the 3900x, and therefore is a bit angry at everyone here who offered really good advice.

Hey! Don't be angry at the bearer of news (of in this case info). Also I generally prefer noctua cooler over water cooling. I have a couple on haswell refresh i7. Lowered the temp from heat throttled with stock cooler or aruond 70c with all cores at 100%. Very effective (these chips were known to run very hot and intel changed the thermal conducting around the chip in the next revision).

After selecting the Ryzen balanced powerplan, I can now give them 8 cores running at 90%, with temperatures below 70C, which actually is what I wanted.

pibbur who now probably (sadly) has no excuse for upgrading to the 3900x, and therefore is a bit angry at everyone here who offered really good advice.

Hey! Don't be angry at the bearer of news (of in this case info).
Bah!!! In this case it's even worse, all of you are bearers of very relevant and useful info about things i didn't know and therefore can't disregard. :) :) :) :) ….. :)

Also I generally prefer noctua cooler over water cooling. I have a couple on haswell refresh i7. Lowered the temp from heat throttled with stock cooler or aruond 70c with all cores at 100%. Very effective (these chips were known to run very hot and intel changed the thermal conducting around the chip in the next revision).

Interesting. I have already bought the water cooler, falsely assuming that nothing beats water cooling (silly me). But I'm considering getting a new cooler for my Linux machine (i7 4900K).

One question: Ryzens come with a very hefty fan (with brightly coloured lights). Do you know anything about the noctua compared to that one?

pibbur who for the record isn't very angry. Only slightly pissed. Eh… not even slightly pissed, just a bit grumpy… Actually no more grumpy than level 64 ought to be. Probably not even that. Cheers!!!!

PS. I have already water-cooling installed on the i7, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed as it runs hotter than expected. I can only run @home jobs on 2 out of 8 hyperthreaded cores on that one, and temperatures often goes up to 75. Now, those jobs also use the 2 GPU's I have on that machine, but I can't see why that should affect CPU temperatures.

At the same time I now run @home jobs on 8 out of 16 hyperthreaded cores on my Ryzen (with the Ryzen cooler) and temperatures varies in the 63-67C range.
DS.

PPS. BTW, I know there are better cooling solutions than water. NMR machines use for instance liquid Helium. DS.

Last edited:
The coolers from noctua are not usually RGB, but they are very good and quiet.
I bough the ID-Cooling SE-207 because was around that performance but lower in price.
I for one don't like RGB lighting... useless power consumption.

I for one don't like RGB lighting… useless power consumption.

By all means, I'm not particularly interested in them either - not everything I say is to be taken seriously. :) I prefer lights where I can see them, on the monitor (and on my KB, easier to see in the dark).

pibbur who admits that it sometimes can be difficult to identify, among all his drivel, what he's serious about. A safe bet is of course to ignore everything he says. Including this statment.

I honestly mean everything I say in this particular post:

I'm really impressed by the experience and technical knowledge many of you have, which far exeeds mine (correct English?). Also by your willingness to help with this and many other questions I've had. Thanks to you all. I really appreciate it.

pibbur who probably should have asked some of his questions earlier, at least before shelling out money.

I don't know anything about the cooler that comes with amd cpu - i haven't purchsed one since i had an operand (sp?) which by the way came with a fantastic cooler.
--
The specific cooler i used was NF-A9. They have many models but the only one I have tried is the NF-A9 so it is the only one i can vouch for being effective on the i7. It requires a lot of clearance - and it amazes me that the itx case I use has room.

Back
Top Bottom