Torment:ToN - Review @ GiN

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
GiN has reviewed Torment: Tides of Numenera:

Torment: Tides of Numenera offers Deep RPGing, Fantastic Worlds

This small piece of dialogue from the turn based role-playing game Torment: Tides of Numenera encapsulates what I love about it. It is both poetic and atmospheric. It is a true computer role-playing game (CRPG) that concentrates on story rather than just an endless supply of re-skinned targets.

[...]

The measured pace of this game makes room for deeper thought rather than the frantic emotions a first-person shooter elicits. In that way, I think Torment: Tides of Numenera is greater than the sum of its parts. It doesn’t have the graphics of a Grand Theft Auto but its images are dreamy and artistic rather than hyper-realistic. Its audio is moody rather than modern and its gameplay recalls strategic pen and paper RPGs instead of the real-time combat in most modern games.

If you like games where you must think deeply and act consciously, buy Torment: Tides of Numenera. It is not your normal game, and is much better for it.
More information.

Seriously disappointed by this game

Speak for yourself. I enjoyed it, the ending however doesn't IMO "click" with rest of the game.

Seriously pleased by this game.

It was a total blast to play and enjoyed it immensely. I struggled a bit at the beginning as so little of it was familiar and I had a lot to learn. But I liked all the lore, the background, how things changed based on decisions, and even grew to enjoy the combat although personally I thought combat was its weakest point.

Excellent story, fun characters, interesting plot twists, and good character building all provided a solid game experience. Well worth the price considering I got almost 40 hours of fun out of it and plan on replaying after future updates.

Like Joxer I tend to agree that the ending was a little off but for some reason I seldom find endings in game matching up to just what I felt should be expected - maybe its because we get too involved with the game. Anyhow I was at least pleased there was some variety offered and I was able to get an ending I, and my character, could be content with.

I am sad to say that I did not enjoy this game for more than a few hours.

It's just subjective but while PS:T held my interest throughout multiple playthroughs, T:ToN lost my interest from a story and gameplay perspective after a few hours. Learning the game and lore was somewhat fun but after that it lost my interest.

I enjoyed it greatly too but having just finished PS:T again, I can say that, in general, it's inferior to it. The ending was disappointing also and definitely not as impactful as in PS:T.

I am a person who is easily disgusted. It's probably not an issue to others, but the Bloom with its vivid descriptions completely grossed me out. Though until then I was playing Torment almost non-stop, I couldn't go through more than an hour in the Bloom. The Children episode was also messed up and disturbing and so some humour would have been nice to offset the seriousness, as in Wasteland 2.

I don't have much appetite right now for another playthrough but I am still obsessed with PS:T. I finished it only recently, but I still want more. There's something about it that is just so… magical. I would say that Mask of the Betrayer came closer to reaching the same level as PS:T, but I would still recommend it to everyone. I don't really care that promises were broken and I can't understand the hate going around. I'm just happy that it was made in the first place.

"It is not your normal game, and is much WORST for it."

Here, fixed for you.

Good review, great game. Although I would have preferred it if I didn't get to choose the ending (dominant tides should have decided for me, which in turn would have given some real impact from the tides system). PS:T great? No, but I'm pretty sure no game ever will be in my eyes.

good character building

A resource mechanic called Effort nullifies any choices you make, how is that good character building when I can succeed with ease in nearly any check?

Waiting for an extended, super-patched, DLC-ed version that will make very / overwhelmingly positive ratings on Steam..

Me too. I'm gonna wait for the DC, plus make some rules for my playthrough to increase challenge/enjoyment (like not using companions for checks , nor effort)

Back
Top Bottom