|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Piranha Bytes » Elex » Elex First Impressions

Default Elex First Impressions

November 23rd, 2018, 14:26
Same design calls for same issues.

Gating exploration is a sure way to extend a product length. A core reason that caused people to move from it years ago.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

December 4th, 2018, 00:34
Just finished Elex, absolutely loved it. Good story and I will play it again at some point on a higher difficulty with a more considered & informed approach to my Jax build. Now what to play? wonder if I should take a peak at Risen.

Qayto

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 4th, 2018, 10:21
Risen 1 is actually really good, Risen 2 is mediocre and Risen 3 is somewhere between Risen 1 and 2 I'd say. Roughly.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander
+1:

December 4th, 2018, 21:46
Gothic > Gothic 2 > Risen = Risen 3 > Risen 2 > Elex > Gothic 3.

All good and worth playing, though.

But something serious happened to PB in terms of passion and innovation around the release of Risen. Risen was the last game they made that I felt was truly "loved" - where as the following games almost feel like they were made by a different team trying to emulate the PB formula. Succeeding in some ways and failing in other, less tangible ways.

There's something…. artificial about Risen 3 and Elex in particular - even though they're mechanically more interesting than the earlier games.

Gothic 3 is arguably the only "bad" game they made - but I enjoyed the heck out of it at launch, even so. But, even with fan patches, it's not quite a whole game. Something is missing from it.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

December 5th, 2018, 01:45
Risen is great. Underrated a bit. But Risen 2 is also great and even more underrated. Not saying it's as good as Risen but it's not as bad as some have made it out to be. Risen 3 is fun, too, and has good exploration. But Risen is still a great game, recently replayed it for many hours and the level of detail and design of the island you explore is really second to none. Very cozy feeling RPG.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

December 5th, 2018, 03:37
Originally Posted by TheRealFluent View Post
Risen is great. Underrated a bit. But Risen 2 is also great and even more underrated. Not saying it's as good as Risen but it's not as bad as some have made it out to be. Risen 3 is fun, too, and has good exploration. But Risen is still a great game, recently replayed it for many hours and the level of detail and design of the island you explore is really second to none. Very cozy feeling RPG.
Well one has to remember Risen was in essence a new Gothic but PB lost the rights to Gothic. After ArcaniA and the closure of JoWooD the rights were given back.

Now as for me I prefer Risen but the sequels aren't that bad.

So my ranking of the games.
  1. Gothic 3
  2. Elex
  3. Risen
  4. Risen 3
  5. Risen 2
  6. Gothic 2
  7. Gothic
  8. ArcaniA - Yes I added it despite many hating it.
  9. Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods - Deserves last place worse then the game above.
--
"Praise be to the gaming gods and their holy avatar CD Projekt" - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.
Last edited by Couchpotato; December 5th, 2018 at 03:50. Reason: Added Ranking of Games

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

December 5th, 2018, 04:00
My yearly ranking of PB's games (which always changes ) would be something like:

1 - Gothic
2 - Risen
3 - ELEX
4 - Gothic 3
5 - Gothic 2
6 - Risen 2
7 - Risen 3

While I had fun with Gothic 2 I definitely preferred the first one in overall setting, charm and world layout. Gothic 3 I thought was really good after playing it recently, Risen 3 is by no means a bad game just the least inspired I thought, and Gothic/Risen are almost tied for first because they're both really good. ELEX is up there too because it's very creative and goes back to the roots a bit in a sci-fi Gothic/Gothic 3 kind of way. PB are one of my favorite developers and I'll always buy their games day one as long as they are making them.

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

December 5th, 2018, 10:33
After first few hours I like Elex. Only gripe is that this game requires careful planning in regards to the character. There is no respec or learn-by-doing so you are driven to study before playing. I know its the PB way but nowadays due to lack of time I would rather just play the little time I have instead of spending it on studying.
--
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke

zakhal

MyBabyAndMe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

December 5th, 2018, 11:58
I'm not sure how anyone could put Gothic 3 above G1 or G2, but I suppose I've seen stranger things in my lifetime.

Risen 1 was easily the best of the Risen series imo, but I think they all tend to be underrated by the masses. Not as good as Gothic 1&2 but still better than most mainstream action-RPGs.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
+1:

December 5th, 2018, 12:38
I can't put G3 above G2, but can and will put it above G1.
The unofficial patch version of course. Release version was Skyrim prequel when it comes to brokenss and if we'll talk about that version then my suggestion is the same as for unmodded Skyrim - avoidware.

Risen games are what you say for some other titles - criminally underrated.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

December 8th, 2018, 04:05
The Alrik npc in this game reminds of Alriks favorite chacater. Same name, same class.
--
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
Last edited by zakhal; December 8th, 2018 at 04:22.

zakhal

MyBabyAndMe

December 8th, 2018, 21:58
PB are very reserved but I've seen this interview where they talked about G1&2 development (working around the clock, sleeping in offices etc) and about new games where they manage family lives, work regular hours etc..

Don't wanna be an asshole as I also work as a dev and went though a similar path but it shows. Risen 2 was completely uninspired, didn't bother about 3 and am only giving ELEX a chance now.

toltec7

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 8th, 2018, 22:39
Originally Posted by toltec7 View Post
Don't wanna be an asshole as I also work as a dev and went though a similar path but it shows. Risen 2 was completely uninspired, didn't bother about 3 and am only giving ELEX a chance now.
Your loss imo. I think Elex is their best game since Gothic 2.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

December 10th, 2018, 20:21
Im playing bith witcher 2 and Elex currently. I like both but Elex graphics maybe bit more. Witcher 2 is just too gloomy. Combat is also maybe bit more interesting or challening in Elex. Exploration is maybe more fun in Elex. But overall both are amazing games.

I can understand why the start of Elex can be frustrating. Unlike in witcher2, in elex there is learning curve to the combat. Once you pass that though and get 1st companion, then it becomes quite palatable.
--

zakhal

MyBabyAndMe

December 10th, 2018, 22:34
But he said he was now giving Elex a chance; so why is it his loss ?

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Your loss imo. I think Elex is their best game since Gothic 2.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

December 11th, 2018, 01:34
Originally Posted by you View Post
But he said he was now giving Elex a chance; so why is it his loss ?
It was a reference to him waiting over a year to play it.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

December 12th, 2018, 21:22
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
Im playing bith witcher 2 and Elex currently. I like both but Elex graphics maybe bit more. Witcher 2 is just too gloomy. Combat is also maybe bit more interesting or challening in Elex. Exploration is maybe more fun in Elex. But overall both are amazing games.

I can understand why the start of Elex can be frustrating. Unlike in witcher2, in elex there is learning curve to the combat. Once you pass that though and get 1st companion, then it becomes quite palatable.
The two games are very, very different, though

Witcher 2 is a mostly linear story-driven game with so-so mechanics and a powerful presentation. Elex is a non-linear open world game with cool mechanics and a pretty crappy story and even worse presentation.

That said, they both have their share of jank.

I've tried many ways to explain my feelings about Elex - but the best I can do is artificial - much like the protagonist.

It doesn't feel organic and I think they fucked up the balance tremendously.

But I'm curious about Elex 2. I need to try that out - to check if I'm just being grumpy about it - or if I'm actually right.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

December 12th, 2018, 23:32
I don't care about balance in single player games, so I though Elex was just fine.

I agree it doesn't feel organic somehow…

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Piranha Bytes » Elex » Elex First Impressions