Kingdom Come: Deliverance

You sure? In my case lockpicking skill progress didn't stop - but I did pick both very easy and easy locks.

Well when I use the easy lockpicking mod before I use the first lock pick it stays at zero. I used a few lockpicks to increase my level of it a little and tried opening a new lock after that, no increase in stats.

Also people her might want to wait for the GoG release since this game forces you to stay online on steam to play it.

Well when I use the easy lockpicking mod
No way I'm gonna use that mod ever. Sorry.
The minigame is IMO very easy already.
And without that mod my lockpicking (and stealth) skill is improving.
this game forces you to stay online on steam to play it.
Now that's bad.

Some early impressions (PC kb/mouse).

It didn't take long before I was stuffed. I eat too much, lol. It just reduced my stamina a bit for now and I saw that there is achievements related to being overfeed and starving. At first I was afraid eating/drinking was obligatory, but it seems more like a bonus/malus system.

I really like how you can steal stuff from the market stall, not that I'm going to try with all the guards around but I might have stolen some stuff from the Tavern kitchen when nobody was looking and laughed when I saw the "Oblivion stolen icon" in my inventory. I need to play more with the "thieving" skills though. I tried the hangling system for trading though. I like the system they used for it, I don't understand why money is in decimal though, lol.

Nerdy Henry the protagonist is quite the charming Hal (I had to google that, I didn't know Hal was the nickname for Henry and wondered why half the people called me that). I really like the writing so far in the prologue. I suspect that is the result of nobody quipping every 10 seconds and characters not sounding and looking like they were designed via TvTropes (except maybe Fritz). It's refreshing in a way.

I love the codex so much. Awesome medieval look and most of it is actual historical facts: people, places and events who really existed (and in some cases still do). I just love Medieval history.

I think the Medieval historical sim is working for me.

edit:
People on reddit are suggesting to play the game with the German voice over + subtitles-you-understand for even better historical context. I'm going to try that tonight.

Last edited:
Also people her might want to wait for the GoG release since this game forces you to stay online on steam to play it.

I know, the watch requires me to stay online too to post. It’s madness, I tell ya.:p

In which thread we were talking about lack of xhair on bows?
Well:
https://www.pcgamer.com/kingdom-come-deliverance-console-commands/
To activate the console, press the tilde key (`) while in-game.
wh_pl_showfirecursor 1
Using a bow and arrow accurately is especially tricky in KCD due to the lack of an crosshair. This command adds an aiming reticle anytime you use a bow. To turn it back off, replace the 1 with a 0. You will have to put your bow away and then take it out again to see the changes on-screen.

I did lose the training "competition", but won the hare "contest" - and didn't use this command. But I did get frustrated in both, these were static and nonhostile targets so I coped with that, can't even think what will happen if I try to use bows against actual hostiles. :)

Is combat better or worse in this game than Mount & Blade?

Is combat better or worse in this game than Mount & Blade?

Much better. It has better feedback when you hit, you have to be patient and methodical to find openings to land hits and characters stats/skill/gear matters. It is also easier to grasp.

And on top of that, by leveling a specefic weapon skill you learn (devastating?) combos. Then there are perks you can grab by leveling strength, vitality and warfare… I mean it's rich and awsome IMO.
Then there is blocking and dodging that is de facto QTE atrocity. Should have been skillbased automatic or something. But I adapted to it so it's not as annoying as it sounds at first.

Wait, Mount & Blade? I never played that game. Is the story better than KCD in that one? :evilgrin:

And on top of that, by leveling a specefic weapon skill you learn (devastating?) combos. Then there are perks you can grab by leveling strength, vitality and warfare… I mean it's rich and awsome IMO.
Then there is blocking and dodging that is de facto QTE atrocity. Should have been skillbased automatic or something. But I adapted to it so it's not as annoying as it sounds at first.

Wait, Mount & Blade? I never played that game. Is the story better than KCD in that one? :evilgrin:

Mount & Blade doesn't really have a story (unless you use mods). It's also a very player's skill dependent game. I was soloing armies once I practiced to do mounted couched lance damage properly for a few minutes…and the game got boring after that.

Blocking and dodging isn't just QTE based, for example the Scout I perk increase the chance of Evading by 10% (by Scout III, it will be 30%).

You mean literally a QTE or just a general test of reaction time? (I hate QTEs)

There is no control flashing on the screen to tell you what controls to click, but you need to place the weapon/shield in the right direction before clicking the block button or dodge by moving in the right direction.

It works the same way as to attack (just different buttons), you need to practice and learn to read your opponent.

The player learning curve isn't that high, but it is hard at the beginning (mix of player ignorance and low stats/skills) and people used to button smash they way through are going to fail hard.

Blocking and dodging isn't just QTE based, for example the Scout I perk increase the chance of Evading by 10% (by Scout III, it will be 30%).
That's map "random encounter" evade. ;)
And of course I took 1 and 2 already.
There is no control flashing on the screen to tell you what controls to click, but you need to place the weapon/shield in the right direction before clicking the block button or dodge by moving in the right direction.
Actually, no, that's how basic blocking works.
Apart from blocking vulgaris there is advanced blocking where you press Q or advanced dodging where you press A or D when the opponent starts swinging. It doesn't matter at what position your weapon/shield is. And a small green "shield" does appear in the center of the "star" as in classic QTEs that hints you to press Q, A or D. It's only your choice which key you'll press - but keep in mind that AI learns what you use often and adapts to counter it. So do switch styles frequently. ;)

In any case I can't agree more about combat system. Anyone who tries consoley/twitchy buttonsmasher approach will fail in this game.

That's map "random encounter" evade. ;)
And of course I took 1 and 2 already.

There are random encounters on the map? I learned something more.

Saying that, blocking and dodging are still influenced by skills/stats.

Back
Top Bottom