Are there any games like Starflight on Steam? Or Spiritual Successors?

Kelefane

Watchdog
Remember Starflight? The game from back in the day when basically all you did was try to find mineral rich planets to mine and improve your ship with. You'd sometimes run into other beings too in your travels out in deep space.

Anyway, are there any games like this (or close to being like it) on Steam right now? Or Spiritual Successors?

Thanks!

Remember Starflight? The game from back in the day when basically all you did was try to find mineral rich planets to mine and improve your ship with. You'd sometimes run into other beings too in your travels out in deep space.

Anyway, are there any games like this (or close to being like it) on Steam right now? Or Spiritual Successors?

Thanks!

Star Control 2 would be the big one.

I think "no" is the best answer.

I think stardock or someone was making a star control remaster but I really hated the scaling view combat in that game and they seem to be keeping that feature so my excitement is very low.

Star Control: Origins, it's called

(I played Starflight on the Amiga as a kid but I never won it. I found a black egg or something but.... Yeah, I don't really remember it very well. Just the code wheel every fucking time you wanna dock. Can't say I miss those days of horrible DRM)

The rights on Star Control are weird with the code being owned by one group and the IP by another, or some such freakiness. Anyway, the developers released Star Control 2 to the public domain long ago under the name Ur-Quan Masters. https://sourceforge.net/projects/urquanmastershd/

StarFLIGHT is an even older game from back in the days when EA games were auto-buy. Long enough ago that there's a ton of games that could trace back origins to this one. You can play StarFlight on the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Starflight_1986

Things you could call spiritual successors… well, all the Elite games for one, including Elite: Dangerous. Egosoft's X games would fit, too. So would Evochron, I think. Even No Man's Sky could fit.

Just what specifically was it that you enjoyed about Starflight? That could tell us which spiritual successors you might like best.

Last edited:
Elite is not a spiritual successor to Starflight as it came out before it. Elite first came out on the BBC Micro (1981) and was ported to other system such as the C64(1983). So Starflight is actually a spiritual successor to Elite.

I don't have the slightest idea, but what about Long Journey Home ?

Back
Top Bottom