Recommend/discuss survival games (aka Hi crpgnut!)

Has anyone here played Conan Exiles?
It's currently 50% off on Steam, and free to play for the next two days.

Had my eye on this for long time. Would only play it like single player or solo server mode tho. Not interested in pop.

I played it for about 20 hours. It didn't have interesting enough survival elements for me. Nice female body models though ;)

I haven't tried that one, @JDR13;. Let us know what you think if you take the plunge. The biggest complaint was a total of 4 hotkeys and lots of items to be used. Everything has to be hot-keyed before you can use it so you're constantly swapping out items. The other complaint was that SP was pretty boring.

Has anyone here played Generation Zero? I've heard it described as a survival looter-shooter. Looks like it could be fun.

It's 50% off right now at GMG. I'm thinking of giving it a try.
It's free to play this weekend, if you want to try it out. :thumbsup:

Well, I tried it for an hour.
Overall, it has a beautifully rendered environment (seriously stunning at times) with not much to do in it.

There is no building or crafting, so any systems that are needed to support that sort of thing are missing (i.e. no cutting down trees, etc, or gathering of crafting resources)
Sure there are "vehicle stations", but all that seemed to be spawnable were bicycles. A wiki I found seemed to indicate that that is all that is currently available (??).
Intact cars and trucks are all over the place, but while you can open their doors and have a look inside, none are drive-able.

There doesn't appear to be any thirst/hunger stuff going on.

The robot enemies are cool, and the gun play seems reasonably satisfying, if frustrating. I died a lot, but I guess that should be expected when trying to use a puny 9mm pistol or bolt action against a bunch of machine-gunning robots.
One thing that annoyed me was that the ironsights seemed way too close to the face, like I'm holding my pistol against my cheekbone while looking down the sights.

There is a very rudimentary main quest and side quests of the "you find a note that tells you where an empty house with stuff in it is" type.

There are no NPCs, as far as I can tell.

I imagine some enjoyment can be gotten out of wandering the beautiful landscape, exploring locations, gathering better weapons, and fighting/avoiding robots, but if you want more than that out of a survival game, there isn't much here for you. Perhaps there's more to it, but I'm not interrupting The Outer Worlds any longer to find out. :)

I'm also doing the free weekend for Generation Zero.

Other than the atmosphere, which has a cool 80's retro vibe, I'm not finding many things good about it. I've only played for a couple of hours though and solo. I'm guessing it's probably significantly more fun in co-op.

There are no NPCs, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, it appears they took the Fallout 76 route there. There are no living NPCs in the game despite the main quest having you search for survivors. I might try co-op with some random players tomorrow and see how that feels.

I got busy and wasn't able to try co-op before the free trial ended. I might purchase it during a future sale, but that will probably depend on if a lot of people are still playing it.

Anytime I look for an early access survival game, I look for reviews with over 50 hours played. If it doesn't have many, then I generally skip those games until I start seeing more such reviews. This stops me from picking up a cash grab game. I've been burned too many times in the past by buying a game that has maybe 5 hours of content.

I almost purchased Mist Survival today after seeing it on sale on Steam. It looks decent, but I'm glad I checked this thread first. I'll trust that it's better to pass.

Hmm, bad nut takes too long to answer questions: On Mist Survival, the game is quite a bit of fun until you stop seeing new places. Unfortunately, that can be in 6 hours or less. When I played there was maybe half a dozen POI's and there just wasn't enough content to pay money to play.

New Survival game; at least for me. It's called Wayward and here is the Steam blurb:

Wayward is a challenging turn-based, top-down, wilderness survival roguelike.

My Steam review:

Wayward is a pixel graphic survival game. If you can get past the extremely basic artwork, you'll enjoy several hours of survival goodness.

There is an interesting game mechanic that I've never seen before. The land is quasi-sentient; if you do things that align with nature (such as planting crops and building things that will help nurture the land) the islands are less dangerous. Of course the opposite is true also. If you're constantly mining, killing non-hostile creatures, and cutting down the forest, the islands will start sending tougher and tougher creatures and eventually flat out monsters to end your journey. Is the mechanic fun? I'm ambivalent about it. It is different though.

Outside of that, the game plays like any other survival game. There are skills to learn, creatures to tame or kill and the occasional piece of treasure from previous excursions. You'll need to gather certain treasures in your bid to get back to civilization. I've dumped almost 50 hours into it and that's in spite of me hating low-graphic games.

Has anyone here played Conan Exiles?.
Bit of a late reply, but, I had a lot fun with it. Just sucks you can't open boss treasure chests until you're level 60.

The same devs are actually working on a Dune game which will be similar to Conan and released alongside the movie remake, I think.

It's been decades since I read them, but I was a huge fan of the books so between how much I enjoyed CE and how much I like Dune I'm pretty hyped to get a look at this game.

The movie is being done by the director who did the new Bladerunner movie so it should be pretty good. :)

Green Project review:

So, you're a guy that was jettisoned into space in hibernation. You finally crash land on Earth after a few hundred years and the place is wasteland with almost no vegetation. The goal of the game is to survive and reseed the world.

This game is hard to review. Since it's so cheap, you want to give it a pass. However, the bottom line is whether or not the game is fun and it really isn't. It starts off okay, but there are a ton of times where there is basically nothing at all to do because you are waiting for items to grow and there is very, very limited items to do anything with during the beginning of the game. I imagine most folks will get just past the refund period and realize there isn't much game here. The game needs to at least double in content and it needs to shore up the crafting times with the inventory.

Stranded Deep - This starts out with you as the only passenger of a private jet that crashes in the ocean. You jump in a lifeboat and are close to a small island (randomly generated but with the same rough stuff in each beginning). You can play with the tutorial, which will greatly help you survive the first day, or skip it and figure things out on your own.

First day is completely typical for the genre. You'll need fire, fresh water, a shelter and other common staples. The sea is the big challenge of this game. You will see shipwrecks almost everywhere and you can see other islands on the horizon. This game actually has an end goal, which I think is to build a vehicle from various parts you find on the wrecks. Your enemies are the various sharks that inhabit the tropical waters. There are other enemies; including land based, but no humans or zombies. This is PVE.

I'm not a big fan of the limited inventory and the default islands are somewhat dull. Fortunately, this game has Steam Workshop and a bunch of island maps that you can swap out the originals with for added value. There are also a couple inventory mods that boost how much you can stack/backpack slot. Nothing ridiculous. Say 8 sticks instead of four, etc.

Frozen State 2015-Just got around to trying this. It has a bad, floaty camera that takes some getting used to, but the rest of the game is pretty fun.

Premise: You are one of 3 possible characters that was riding in a research vehicle shortly after mankind created a new ice age in an attempt to kill an alien virus that turns people into zombies. The vehicle breaks down and you find an abandoned house with a sturdy fence and seek shelter. The game starts you with a few items scavenged from the vehicle and whatever was left in the house when the former occupants left.

The big survival element here is the cold. You cannot stay outside too long because you will freeze to death. Campfires are the single most used item in the game. You will always be grabbing paper, matches, and firewood. Food and water are not too hard to come by as the ice age didn't kill off all animals and even some berries are still on some of the bushes.

Your goal is to find 3 parts to fix the Explorer research vehicle so that you can find a group of other folks that are somewhere in the area. There is a regular car you can find too, but it won't protect from the zombies. The Explorer is armored like a tank.

The beginning of the game has you exploring your home base and maybe stepping outside of the property just enough to lay in some supplies. Most of the map is proc-gen but there are dozens of static maps to explore too and they have the stuff you need. Those maps are better guarded than the normal outdoor maps. This game is a looter's nirvana. Tons of gear, easy but deep crafting, and a hoard of little things to find. There is a little bit of fallout style crafting where you break down some things to make other things.

I put over a hundred hours in this but the big thing is going to be if you can stand the camera. It is poor.

Radiation Island 2015/16? - This game has a slightly different premise. Scientists on a Russian battleship were experimenting with electricity and magnets near Japan in an attempt to gain an edge in a war; presumably with the US. Something went wrong and when you wake up you're alone and the battleship is gone. You think that they accidentally shifted reality based on logbooks you're finding on the islands nearby.

Typical survival game with animals and zombies as the enemies; perhaps some insane military too later on. I've only played this one a dozen hours so far. Lots of stuff to find and craft and also buried treasures. One of my favorites!

Okay, this game is okay but the big problem is that every island is exactly like the one before it. Once you've finished one island, there is really nothing to keep you playing unless you just want to see how it ends. The problem with that idea, is that there are 4 more islands to go and nothing new to experience really. Still worth the price probably though.

Last edited:
My Island is a survival game that has very little challenge, so it really becomes a builder/crafting game instead. It does have a very cute female model to play with, so it works as a Barbie/Ken dress-up game :D It may still be in development, so it could improve.

Arctic Anxiety Steam Review:

Should you buy it? Well, sure. It's only $3 and you'll get that much bang for your buck.

Do I recommend it? Well, I got about 40 hours of play out of it in EA. This is a single Dev and not a company, so you have one guy to depend on. This doesn't typically go well. Again though, $3. Only 8 of the 35-40 recipes are even in the game at this point. Did I mention $3? There is no story yet and there may never be one; again one dev.

Premise is that your plane crashed in the arctic ocean. You escaped via a Life Raft but you're in Dire Straits and the Knopfler's can't be found anywhere! Oops, wrong dire straits. You have 3 items in the raft with you and that's it. The raft itself is waterproof and protects you from the wind. You'll need fire and you'll have to scavenge wreckage to find stuff that will burn. Cans of paint, wooden planks, maybe a pallet if you're really lucky. You'll need to make something to help you catch the abundant fish that are everywhere, but making fire is the single most important thing you do in this game and it's fun scavenging enough stuff to do so.

The land is not randomly generated, so memorizing the map is doable. Stuff washes up on the shores every day, so it's necessary to revisit the same areas looking for salvage. If you enjoy the Long Dark, this game is somewhat similar to survival mode, but more primitive.

Oh! If I didn't mention it yet, the game is $3

Back
Top Bottom