KotOR - Remake on the Cards? - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » KotOR - Remake on the Cards?

Default KotOR - Remake on the Cards?

January 24th, 2020, 21:32
Successor, evolution. I suppose you are English native speaker, pick your words as you like. English is my 4th language and it's clear by the way I phrased it what I meant. I learned nothing (amongst other things, I crafted thousands of assets in the Aurora toolset, including areas, creatures, items, placeables, triggers, sound effects, lighting effects and scripts) and still do now and then for current ee servers so keep your high horse for those who need it.

Nereida

Sentinel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

January 24th, 2020, 22:33
"Canon"
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

January 24th, 2020, 22:47

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

January 24th, 2020, 22:56
No matter how many times they ream-ke the "canon", Han shot first.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

January 25th, 2020, 00:03
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Or just screw it all, inject time travel into Star Wars and have Rey come back to be the magical hero for the Old Republic too!
Don't give them any ideas, but I'm sure someone has thought about it.

Yep send the Mary Sue who can overcome everything with ease.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

January 25th, 2020, 00:31
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
Successor, evolution. I suppose you are English native speaker, pick your words as you like. English is my 4th language and it's clear by the way I phrased it what I meant. I learned nothing (amongst other things, I crafted thousands of assets in the Aurora toolset, including areas, creatures, items, placeables, triggers, sound effects, lighting effects and scripts) and still do now and then for current ee servers so keep your high horse for those who need it.
Great deflection. You posted incorrect information and now suggest your mastery of the Aurora toolset means you should be excused!

Now, if you blame that fact that you made a mistake because English is your 4th language then just own up to it like a man, don't go and deflect! Just say "Sorry I used the wrong word, I meant Successor.

They are completely different engines with completely different code bases. Evolution in terms of toolsets would be modifying an existing toolset. Infinity Engine was completely 2D based until they added some support for OpenGL in BG2. Aurora is a 3D engine from the ground up. They share none of the supporting tools.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

January 25th, 2020, 02:37
You don't need to be a man to own up mistakes when they are made, but at least I know what kind of 'man' you are.

'Evolution' in the same way that humans are an evolution of apes.

In most cases anyway, hm?

Nereida

Sentinel

January 25th, 2020, 04:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o60UKh0jPzU

Ryzwitcher

Vještac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 25th, 2020, 08:29
Aurora is the evolution of infinity, used in nwn, as said. Sorry I didn't spell it out for you, Andrew. Evidently it's not the same since nwn and KotOR have rotating camera and are tile based, not 2d prerendered. I did say it was a modified version and even described how it works. The nitpick is welcome, regardless.
What you said:

Well KotOR used a modified version of the Infinity Engine, the one used for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and later Neverwinter Nights, so of course it would play similarly to those.
So its not about words evolution or successor as mentioned in another post. Aurora is not modified version of Infinity and I pointed it out. Very simply, without any additional bullshit and I wasnt ridiculling you in any way. So what is your problem?

Andrew23

Sentinel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

January 25th, 2020, 10:02
It sounded passive aggressive, but again, maybe it was me interpreting it wrong? Hard to tell via text. Either way, good that you pointed out the engine name is actually Aurora, not Infinity, since I had not. Case solved.

Nereida

Sentinel

January 25th, 2020, 10:12
You don't need to be a man to own up mistakes when they are made, but at least I know what kind of 'man' you are.

'Evolution' in the same way that humans are an evolution of apes.
You still seem confused and keep digging yourself a bigger and bigger hole. Yes, humans evolved from the humble ape over a few million years. We share most of the same genetic material.

Infinity and Aurora are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. They share no genetic (in this case code). They were written using completely different libraries…
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

January 25th, 2020, 10:52
Well KotOR used a modified version of the Infinity Engine, the one used for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and later Neverwinter Nights, so of course it would play similarly to those. Battle rounds are basically divided in 6 second segments that play out in pseudo real time but every action you input is queued in these 6 second brackets. I'm not sure I like this more than more fluid RTwP systems, but it works well nonetheless.
I actually do prefer the older system with clear rounds, since I find it easier to control in Real Time without pausing quite as often. Even though I really like the PoE games combat feels much more chaotic than what it was in the games up to and including NwN2. DA:O was the first game I remember with the "New" system.
Last edited by TomRon; January 25th, 2020 at 11:11.

TomRon

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

January 25th, 2020, 12:12
Actually, SWTOR has a long story about Revan, too.

I'm not actively trying to advertise it , but I still like it.

(Although I'm nowadays rather going back into the fantasy universe, rather than Science-Fiction)
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
+1:

January 25th, 2020, 19:22
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
SWTOR

--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)

January 26th, 2020, 13:15
Another remake? Why? (Well, I know why, but… ) We need more original or new games. So please, give me a new Star Wars RPG, it could be in the style and system of KotoR, but new - new story, new era. If Disney wouldn't destroy the Expanded universe, I would say - give me a story from the Cade Skywalker era! But well, Disney and their stupid expensive fanfiction (Yeah, I am that guy - Kyle Katarn stole the Death Star plans! End of story. )

MickTheMage

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 26th, 2020, 15:15
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
In the novel Revan was male. In the SWTOR MMO he was male. Technically none of it is canon anymore, but the canon was that Revan is male, and the Jedi Exile is female.

Link - https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Revan

Now that Disney scrapped the entire lore who the hell knows really.
Yep, I mixed it up with the Exile from KotoR 2. Meetra Surik was a human female.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Civilization VI

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

January 27th, 2020, 00:47
No remake please, just a third entry in the era with a different protagonist. And get a passionate developer like Respawn. Jedi: Fallen Order was fantastic!

srabuseen

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 27th, 2020, 01:21
Originally Posted by srabuseen View Post
No remake please, just a third entry in the era with a different protagonist. And get a passionate developer like Respawn. Jedi: Fallen Order was fantastic!
It wouldn't be an RPG if Respawn developed it.

Anyway rumor is EA might use BioWare.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

January 27th, 2020, 16:31
I recently replayed both KotOR games, and I'm really not sure they're suitable for remakes. Maybe some sort of enhanced edition, but a full remake would require a lot of work, as the only thing they could re-use is the overall story. It's a decent story, but it's not spectacular enough to warrant a complete re-design of two entire games.

That being said: I'd probably buy it if they made it, so maybe there is a market for it..

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander
+1:

January 27th, 2020, 17:14
Originally Posted by MickTheMage View Post
( (Yeah, I am that guy - Kyle Katarn stole the Death Star plans! End of story. )
Exactly … and the Solos had 3 kids (Jacen, Jaina and Anakin), Mara Jade married Luke, and so on …
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » KotOR - Remake on the Cards?