The Outer Worlds - Interview @GOG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GOG recently interviewed Leonard Boyarsky and Tim Cain about The Outer Worlds.

Obsidian Entertainment is a mark of quality in the RPG genre. What is in your opinion the main reason why gamers love titles created by you? In other words, what's the recipe for a perfect modern RPG?

Tim Cain: I think gamers like our games' reactivity to what kind of character they make and how they act in the game world. It's the best feeling when the game reacts to something the player does because it's like the developers are sitting there with them, nodding and saying "we saw what you did there". Also, our games never take themselves too seriously, so gamers know they can have fun with them.

Leonard Boyarsky: I can't speak to 'the perfect modern RPG', just the RPGs we like to make. And, for us, the most important things are creating compelling worlds for players to explore with any character they can conceive of, and, perhaps most importantly, having the world react to those character's choices.

Looking back from the day of the game's premiere, which one of its elements makes you most proud today?

Leonard Boyarsky: For me, the fact that we were able to ship a finished, polished game that has its own unique identity, on time and on budget, is a proud accomplishment. There were of course things I wish we'd done differently, and parts of the game I wish we'd been able to push further, but, even after all this time, shipping a game with a new IP that was only a figment of our imagination 3 years before still amazes me.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Leonard Boyarsky: We are proud for this abomination. :lol:

Seems Leonard is most proud that it was an actual finished product with no bugs :) well done.

Yeah that's one thing I can agree on this is Obsidian's most bug-less game. I believe it only had five or six patches so far compared to Pillars of Eternity. So kudos to them.

This is one of exactly 2 games I have sitting in my Epic "library" - the other being Red Dead Redemption 2. I just wait for things to come to Steam, usually. Multiple game libraries are annoying.

I'd get the DLC if I could get it from Steam but I'm not mucking about with Epic anymore, and I don't feel like re-buying the game on Steam so... meh. I guess I'll miss out on this one.

Interesting how this game doesnt create even slightest interest in me to even try it. I ususally try even ubi games that have many gameplay patterns I really dont like. At some point I usually get feeling of interest or curiosity to at least check on it. But this one? Nothing...

You can play the first planet, which takes a few hours and be done with it, since the rest is the same

You can play the first planet, which takes a few hours and be done with it, since the rest is the same

Best one sentence review I've seen on this game :)

To counterbalance some of the negativity in this thread, I'd simply like to say that I enjoyed the game. Are there better shooters? Definitely. But it's a pretty damn good RPG - there's a bounty of quest reactivity.

I can't agree to that at all. The first planet is more like a long tutorial. The big spaceship you explore after that is already completely different (did you you find the guy locked in a restroom there?) and the biggest planet (Monarch iirc) is much bigger and quite an open world of its own.

From my POV surely the Outer Worlds is no Gothic but easily better than something like Skyrim. Of course this is all subjective, but I would recommend people, who haven't tried it jet, not to let themselves be deterred by some simplified negative reviews.

Its not all negative, just taste. The game just didnt' have depth. If you did the first planet 'tutorial' theres very very little new things. The weapons are all similar, the depth of conversations are similar, theres very little choice/consequence, etc.

Previous post from me.
I enjoyed Outer Worlds for what it was.

It was sad that it didn't have depth, better dialogue, better character development, and was light on exploration. Other than that, it was kinda fun.

To counterbalance some of the negativity in this thread, I'd simply like to say that I enjoyed the game. Are there better shooters? Definitely. But it's a pretty damn good RPG - there's a bounty of quest reactivity.

Negativity is part of life too, it's a honest expression, it's not a bad thing to be negative some times if someone or something deserves it. Conlcusion: there is no need to counterbalance anything.

Back
Top Bottom