Do you watch Critical Role?

Drithius

Magic & Loss
I've been watching this for the last couple months. Although I'm on episode 65 or so, it does get kind of irritating at how little these characters learn from their mistakes.

If you watch, how far along are you in their exploits?
Who's your favorite character?
Who's your most detested character?

I love, love, love Scanlan & Sam Riegel; he is the quintessential bard - played well, creative, constantly inhibiting himself against metagaming. An absolute delight.

In contrast, I cannot stand how obnoxious Marisha Ray is in playing Keyleth. She's a constant source of exasperation and, if it wasn't for Scanlan, I would have likely stopped watching a good while back! Hey guys, after preparing an entire city for protection against scrying from dragons, let's skywrite a welcome message in the clouds as one flies overhead. :wall:

No and never will.
It has more than 200 episodes where each lasts more than 3 hours long Bollywood movies. I don't have time for yet another Santa Barbara - I need my free time for worldwide exotics.

No. I had to look it up. It's a D&D group who stream their sessions on twitch. I would not find that interesting. I did play D&D as a teenager, but whenever I go into a game store and see those groups of D&D players role playing around a table, as a middle aged adult these days, I mentally cringe…I would only enjoy that if I knew everyone who was playing really well (like, good friends for years) and even then - it would not be something I would like - otherwise, that would be very awkward for me and I would feel very uncomfortable in that situation.

I mean, come on, no matter how you slice it, that is a dorky type of situation. lol. And I'm kind of a loner type and tend to be anti-social, to be honest.

A DM makes or breaks tabletop gaming and Matt Mercer is in a league of his own when it comes to DMing. So, I'd strongly urge you to withhold judgment if you're not familiar with the show :)

I watched a few minutes, which was more than enough for me. I thought the DM guy was embarrassing, and it seemed like typical insufferable Youtube stuff, to me - a load of squealing doofuses doing product placement.

Last edited:
Ahhh, now that I know what it's about, I'd be even less likely to watch something like that. Sure, I'd be keen on playing the game with mates, but watching people that I don't even know play it?? No, that would be of zero interest to me. It would be like watching people play Axis and Allies, Diplomacy, or Risk, rather than watching I'd prefer to be playing meself!

Watching people play Diplomacy might not be bad. Especially if there were actual daggers lying around. Paranoia is even better for... drama. :devil:

I've ever seen any point in watching other people play unless it was to help me if I got stuck in my own game. I don't watch any sports and I wouldn't watch this.

Oh I watch plenty of sports myself, many different forms of football, hockey, rugby, CFL, NFL, but I would never consider watching people playing a board game/pen and paper rpg to be a sport. Even just the thought inspires me to break out my old games and gather some friends up to play!!!

It's more about storytelling than what you guys are trying to compare it to. Think radio programs of the past, such as X-1. Or a more expressive audio book.

Back
Top Bottom