Iron Danger - Feature Trailer

Don't like the setting, but the combat system looks like something new and interesting which I need to try out.

Man, that narrator reminded me of Baldurs Gate! And it looks very interesting: Finnish mythology, people rebel against gods, maybe...just maybe even unique and fun combat system. Definitely looking forward to see more of Iron Danger!

I actually went and watched some gameplay footage - it is realtime with pause and time rewind , like in Prince of Persia. The interesting thing that you must parry enemy blows in real time, so if you miss that parry , you rewind time and try with different approach. BTW game is fully voiced!
Hmm not sure if I like it though - looks like it (combat) could become very tedious. I think I better wait and see reviews or more gameplay.

One of the issues with other games is though that you have lots of characters. RTWP itself already becomes much less painful if you have less characters, and in this game you seem to be limited to just two.

Steampunk and Finnish... interesting.

Time manipulation anytime... not interesting. Takes away the sense of a challenge for the player.

Not necessarily, you only have a time window of 5 seconds. And you could also design encounters which you just cannot beat independent on time manipulation, e.g. if the enemy just does a PB AOE which you cannot dodge and only survive with better armor.

But due to the 5 second limitation and the planning which goes into it, it's still better than saving/reloading during fight, but I guess you can compare this a bit. But saving/roaloding is usually not incorporated into the balance of the game, which is why it breaks most combat systems.

I actually went and watched some gameplay footage - it is realtime with pause and time rewind , like in Prince of Persia. The interesting thing that you must parry enemy blows in real time, so if you miss that parry , you rewind time and try with different approach. BTW game is fully voiced!
Hmm not sure if I like it though - looks like it (combat) could become very tedious. I think I better wait and see reviews or more gameplay.

Awhile back the developer assured me that it is actually turn-based but the turns execute simultaneously.

"Real-time action elements? Keep that button-mashing drek out of turn-based games"

hepphep said:
Except that there is no button smashing at all, instead it is very deeply tactical and you give commands in very similar manner as in traditional turn-based games so you're never in hurry, but can really think things in peace. And even rewind time back to try another way and think it better. In the sense, it brings tactical combat even more tactical and gives it even this puzzlelike element.

The term "action elements" come from the fact that after you have given command(s) everything moves simultaneously. So you can for example fell tree on path of moving enemy felling it on top of him with perfect timing etc. So when the things unravel by your commands it gives this nice action feeling with characters dodging and blocking attacks and evading environmental hazards, but actual mechanics are pretty much turn-based like.

I think the core audience is the gamers who like tactical aspect of games like DOS or XCOM-series. If you like combat in either of those games, I'm pretty sure you'll like combat in Iron Danger as well. However, tons of action RPGers and puzzlers have also liked it a lot as their "gate drug" to the tactical gaming.

So it does sound like something different but I would definitely wait for reviews or a demo before buying… We'll see, I fear it may essentially play like RTwP with autopause by default.

Last edited:
Hrm, so it's 30€ -15% atm. For 12h a bit much for my taste. Will probably wait for a sale then.

Back
Top Bottom