Gothic Remake - Coming to GOG

I don't really care which platform, I'm just gonna buy.

Didn't think it was getting release yet? Then I remember GOG also has Early Access.:(

I don't really care about platforms, but I'm curious to see the final version of this game.

I think it has promise.

I'm looking forward to it. Personally the original Gothic is my favourite of the series.

Daniel.

Didn't think it was getting release yet? Then I remember GOG also has Early Access.:(

Can't purchase it yet, just a placeholder page at this point - you can wishlist it and get notified when it is available. Still agree - as discussed on the Early Access poll, I will wait for the actual release.

BTW, Solasta is apparently a day one Game Pass title, if anyone cares.

I have played Gothic 2&3 a few times but never played the first one. I will be excited to give this a try because the story will be new to me.

I have played Gothic 2&3 a few times but never played the first one. I will be excited to give this a try because the story will be new to me.

Gothic 1 is my favorite in the series :)

But that's mostly because it was fresh - and, aside from Ultima IX, the first modern open world CRPG. At least as far as I'm aware.

It was a revelation - and it represents the foundation of my favorite genre, with the possible exception of the immersive sim genre.

Gothic 2 was clearly better in certain ways, I guess I just felt it was a little too familiar when I originally played it.

I've yet to play that one properly, which is an obvious mistake on my part.

Great news for us all, great old games excels at being great. And talk about a game that could truly benefit from a remake, Gothic stands to garner a whole new audience out of this endeavour, as well as pleasing many existing fans. Now that, folks, is a complete win-win!!~

Gothic 1 is my favorite in the series :)

But that's mostly because it was fresh - and, aside from Ultima IX, the first modern open world CRPG. At least as far as I'm aware.

It was a revelation - and it represents the foundation of my favorite genre, with the possible exception of the immersive sim genre.

Gothic 2 was clearly better in certain ways, I guess I just felt it was a little too familiar when I originally played it.

I've yet to play that one properly, which is an obvious mistake on my part.

I loved G1 more than G2, but not just because it was the first one. The world/setting and story was way more smart and original, than the generic plot of G2. Where G2 excelled was the world design and exploration and gameplay. It was a lot more expansive, thus offered a lot more in those terms. But everything else, story, characters and world is a lot better in G1. It was obvious that they made G1 without a plan to continue it, which is why the whole plot of G2 was so generic. G1 on the other hand, was fully set in a prison colony. And the whole world was a lot more prehistoric than G2 which suddenly turned generic medieval fantasy.

Am I the only one here who believes that the original Gothic 1 is still perfectly playable?

Am I the only one here who believes that the original Gothic 1 is still perfectly playable?

It very much is. I did a full playthrough 1-2 years ago. And it was fantastic, even if the graphics haven't aged as well. But I'm afraid the graphics are part of what gives that game its atmosphere; it's feeling. And if you redo them, without identifying exactly what made the atmosphere, it'll be too different than the original.

Back
Top Bottom