Fallout: New Vegas - Direct2Drive Sale

Err ... yes, I think I've read this somewhere before, but I'm not that sure anymore ... Indeed, games requiring some steam ...

Err … yes, I think I've read this somewhere before, but I'm not that sure anymore … Indeed, games requiring some steam …

I can't be sure Steam is required but is used if here and you don't have the choice. It's possible that if I hadn't Steam the installation would be different.

I'm totally chocking I decided install FNV from a retail box and the first installation steps requires me to enter the activation key and ends with a panel explaining me that now the game is registered in Steam and that I should connect to Steam account to use this.

Huuu? Now retail box games are Steam games? That said it's possible that the game installation detected Steam is installed and offered it as an option to get some automatic patch update system.

No, it's a requirement. Read the back of your game box. In most countries, it's the red warning box just below the system specs.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/fallout-new-vegas/cover-art/gameCoverId,202902/

For better or worse (and I think better, but let's not have that argument), Steam was chosen as a support platform from the very beginning to provide patch and DLC support, achievements and, I guess, DRM. There are a number of games that also use Steam for similar reasons. Some MP games use Steam for MP server matching and so on.

Lol that's right. My first reaction was a bit of irritation that such warning wasn't more highlighted on the box. But in fact that would not have change my buy, and that's not the worst choice. Ok being forced to use it through Steam is unpleasant for the ethics, but for me in practice it's ok. And at least I win the ability to play without the CD which is often a reason why I buy a digital version of a game.

It`s funny how it was decided that if you`re a loser with no internet access, you can say goodbye to gaming - and contrary to what you might imagine there`s quite a few people in this position.

Never noticed the talk about Ubis latest games ? Like The Settlers 7 and Assassins Greed 2 ?

I like the Steam requirement since it makes it much harder for the pirates to get a stable build. New Vegas is an unstable mess so I hear. Let the bastards suffer! That being said it would indeed suck not to have a connection.

I always wondered how those complaining about required Internet connection they seem don't have, succeed anyway post on so many forums. ;)

If Steam is a trouble it's because it is intrusive not because of Internet connection requirement. Sure you need have one at installation but once the game is installed, steam client and the game can run without Internet connection working, at least for most games.

It`s hardly a mystery: the fact that I have a kick ass broadband connection at this point of timespace does not mean it was always so. Or, that it will always be so.

It depends on many factors: lifestyle, income, where you live, etc. If you`re lucky enough to meet these criteria then good on ya, but you`d be surprised to learn how many are not. And not only in places like Easter Island or Siberia, but right under your nose in the "OK countries".

I`m pretty sure it was assumed that since such folk are lame enough to be in this position it makes them potential "pirates" and so they can ^&%$ off.

Which is laughable, since real pirates don`t give two shits about Steam, whose "protection scheme" is worth about as much as a mysterious pentagram drawn on your computer or something.

Well not sure i want take the defense of online activation but you don't need a fast connection to do it, nothing is downloaded as the game is installed from the CD.

If you have trouble with the Internet connection viability and speed this will be for getting the updates not for an online activation.

So there's no point about arguing and bring back pirates and all classical argument against any DRM protection.

Back
Top Bottom