Dragon Age 2 - Mike Laidlaw Interview

Well I skip points I already answered.

I didn't say that… For me it lost part of it's tactical approach that is all.
Sig, well perhaps there's a point I don't see, for me the demo doesn't show that but only the full game will tell me. It's possible that this will be a nuisance in the full game. But decrease the tactical approach I have doubt, we will see.

Positioning of the rogue was tedious, but so are a lot of things if you wish to maintain some believability.
Believability? Well for me most isn't believable in most games, you are too fast, you jump too high, the hit rate is a lot too fast, and ton more. For me the gameplay is the more important, but well that's my point of view. In general realism is fake for me and really not an important point.

I feel that realism as an easy characteristic to pinpoint so review and comments abuse a lot of its importance. Knowing that most games are very very far from reality on ton of points, so a bit more or a bit less isn't objectively such a difference. :)

I too like party based RPGs, but not at the expense of core RPG mechanics(be they removed or streamlined).
Mmm so how good was Drakensang or The River of Time? Oooops dead, too late. And tactical fights? mmm? KBtL? :)

So I had to honestly decide which was more important for the party. My ability to do damage or my ability to sense and disarm traps, pick locks, pick pockets or pass speech checks(which was affected by cunning as well).
You summarize all the real choices DAO1 offered, but:
  • Pick locks wasn't a skill and that was an error forcing players to use a rogue in a 4 member party. And no, it's not a choice to be able to picklock or not, if you face the players with ton of stuff closed with no issue, which is how was DAO1.
  • Pick Pocket is rather tedious, just steal some crap and let say 3 quests involved?
  • Pass speech check… only those aggressive with menacing, rather unpleasant forced choice.
This let only one true choice, disarm. That's rather few and again if it's that important you should not have buy DAO1 or at least have complained a lot against DAO1.

Bu yes skills is an element to dig, but it's quite a debate on how. For example FNV not allowing at all an important option in managing a quest because my character don't have the skill, I didn't like that approach that much. All in all it's a problem when skills are only involved with a limited number of dialogs. It doesn't work well and this is very artificial. I don't mean I'm a skills removal partisan just that this need a lot more design thinking than what I have often seen in modern RPG including from Obsidian.

EDIT: Now I think of it, The Witcher had no skills isn't it? I could not remember well but if right, go on make your crusader against The Witcher 1&2.

The witcher was made in Europe so gets a pass, but you are right no skills at all. Funny I really like the witcher, and it has no skills.

^ If I keep replying we will be going in circles… I'll just summarize the skills debate as I see it.

You are willing to put up with further streamlining.

I wanted the opposite… If DA:O's skills were broken or pointless(I say underutilized and not well thought out) they should have been fleshed out and fixed. Since skills were already present they had the foundation to build on. To improve.

As for believability you shouldn't confuse it with realism… For example, magic in a fantasy setting can at least be plausible/believable if it follows a set of rules/logic. Magic is still unrealistic, it's abstract and only believable/plausible within the construct of it's fantasy setting.

-EDIT-

LOL, yeah let me crusade against the witcher! The two games are completely different(AND TW1 NEVER HAD SKILLS TO BEGIN WITH!!!). There is no choice in terms of Char creation in the witcher. You are Geralt, period. One character, one class. It was designed to be a tight experience, that game delved into gray morality and was less about the hero, "knight captain", "knight commander", blah blah…

People are allowed to like different games for different reasons, no? Wait, now that I think about it, TW was not a party based RPG, ZOMG!!! Crusade Crusade! :lol:

Now I'm done.

Last edited:
You are willing to put up with further streamlining.
Nope, first you didn't realize the demo doesn't give you a good idea of the full game. Second that about the streamline I would agree, it has its origin in DAO1. For dialogs I disagree that it's a streamline.

And well not all is wrong in Streamline, that's what made DKS great when D:ED wasn't.
As for believability you shouldn't confuse it with realism… For example, magic
So teleporting is just common stuff and yep darkspawn can teleport for some reason you can't explain, what a big affair. :) But ok my example wasn't good, it's just it's a detail I don't care. And the truth is also I didn't noticed it because anyway I had the lowest setup. So between sudden spawn and depth of vision limit, there's no difference so anyway I had to be used to it. :biggrin:

Now I'm done.
:)

Hey wake up! Now you have crusader to do against The Witcher 1&2. :)

You missed my edit... We can crusade together! :)

Nope, first you didn't realize the demo doesn't give you a good idea of the full game.

So the demo failed on an intrinsic level?

So teleporting is just common stuff and yep darkspawn can teleport for some reason you can't explain, what a big affair.

So your answer is to make it less believable across the board! If you mean darkspawn shrieks well they weren't teleporting I think they were "cloaked".

Anyway this is pointless you like what you like and you like to crusade against those who disagree. :p

Yeah, believability is about inherent consistence.

What about rogues doing all those antics with 15 DEX.

People are allowed to like different games for different reasons, no? Wait, now that I think about it, TW was not a party based RPG, ZOMG!!! Crusade Crusade! :lol:
Mmm suddenly you stop be this fanatic that required RPG has skills and skills check in dialogs?

I see no logic here, it's not by buying and applauding TW that you'll put a pressure for your skills wish.

Let imagine, The Witcher 2 huge success, DAO2 mid failure… If that happen let me bet that we won't see another party A RPG since a long time.

So the demo failed on an intrinsic level?
I enjoyed the demo but well yeah it is such an error, I don't think modern games are used to release demo before the release and most wait some month. I bet this will now become the rule for any AAA game.

EDIT:
...you like to crusade against those who disagree. :p
Yeah good point yes I'm a an anti crusader guy. Crusaders and hypes, two faces of the same piece.

@MasterKromm - This isn't worth your time. Trust me on this one.. :)

Fanboy response in 3…

..2…

Last edited:

From the second champion of the forum for arguing and f…g flies, second after the "musketeer", that's quite ridiculous.

@Dasale

Is it fanatical to not like the new direction? DAO had, albeit poorly implemented, skills. I'm dissapointed they were streamlined into obsolescence instead of being fleshed out or improved… The only radical here is the dude/gal unwilling to concede other people have different opinions and that they are entitled to said opinions. Please lay off the straw man arguments, I've never said skills or speech checks are a must... They were in DAO and would have been nice to see in DA2.

It's not just the skills though, it's most of the changes they've implemented… I'm sorry you're offended by my opinion(s) but tough luck.

-EDIT-

At this point I have nothing else to add to this discussion, feel free to have the last word.

Fanboy response in 3…

..2…

Can you explain to me how this helps anything? I get it, anyone who says otherwise is a fanboy, the simpletons way of winning an arguement.

Can you explain why you think this game is so great ? Those that tried the demo say it just doesnt feel right , I completely understand. Starting with what Bioware does best ,Its a totally OVER BAKED STORY, Its a weak attempt at going fully mainstream. Maybe if they spent another two years on the game they could have gotten away with it with the hardcore fans. Instead they wanted to cash in and it shows . Its soulless in every aspect of gaming especially compared to its predecessor.The never ending cut scenes , the terrible art. And i dont mean graphics. The only way i can describe it besides saying it is absolutely simplified is that it feels like FAST FOOD. If you cant understand any of the complaints here that hardcore gamers have {not casual} then you and i played a completely different demo. With that i hope you enjoy this type of games.There will be many more casual games to come.

Can you explain why you think this game is so great ? Those that tried the demo say it just doesnt feel right , I completely understand. Starting with what Bioware does best ,Its a totally OVER BAKED STORY, Its a weak attempt at going fully mainstream. Maybe if they spent another two years on the game they could have gotten away with it with the hardcore fans. Instead they wanted to cash in and it shows . Its soulless in every aspect of gaming especially compared to its predecessor.The never ending cut scenes , the terrible art. And i dont mean graphics. The only way i can describe it besides saying it is absolutely simplified is that it feels like FAST FOOD. If you cant understand any of the complaints here that hardcore gamers have {not casual} then you and i played a completely different demo. With that i hope you enjoy this type of games.There will be many more casual games to come.

I have explained why I like it go back and look at it if you are really interested....I love how you have the whole story down to being over baked without ever playing the whole game(you guys are getting predictable.) I like the art, I like the cut scenes. Bioware tells stories, they are probably one of the best in the business. You have no idea if it is soulless or not, at this point we have a what 30 minute demo to basically show you some of the mechanics? Hahaha and love the fact you try to pretentous enough to call yourself a hard core gamer implying the rest of us are casuals.

BTW I love how you only took the opinions of people who agreed with you about the demo implying the rest of us have not tried it. You are trying to hard.

The demo cannot be more terrible than this thread. Can I remind you that this is a hobby we are talking about? A hobby we all share with passion? Have some respect for each other. While Dasale started with the aggressiveness in this thread, JDR13 takes the crown with his "fanboy" post. Editing your post after the follow-up post has been written to insult the poster? Sad.

The demo cannot be more terrible than this thread. Can I remind you that this is a hobby we are talking about? A hobby we all share with passion? Have some respect for each other.

I agree with you up to this point, but to be fair to JDR, Dasale was out of line in my opinion. I'm still pretty new around here, but Dasale seems to be quite disrespectful towards those with different opinions on a regular basis, so maybe you should criticize him instead.

I agree with you up to this point, but to be fair to JDR, Dasale was out of line in my opinion. I'm still pretty new around here, but Dasale seems to be quite disrespectful towards those with different opinions on a regular basis, so maybe you should criticize him instead.

This is funny. This happens all the time here. It is easy to shift blame to others who do no t share your opinions. Fanboy stuff? Complete crap and not a intelligent way to argue your point...He has used it quite a lot in more then just this thread. Pretty much lost any respect I had for his opinion now.

I did criticise both.

This is funny. This happens all the time here. It is easy to shift blame to others who do no t share your opinions. Fanboy stuff? Complete crap and not a intelligent way to argue your point…He has used it quite a lot in more then just this thread. Pretty much lost any respect I had for his opinion now.

I personally haven't seen JDR use that argument before because, as I said, I'm still pretty new here and usually ignore "fanboy" comments when/if they come up. I'm certainly not taking sides, I was just saying "to be fair." Also, Dasale often has similar opinions to me, I just don't like the aggressive manner in which he presents them, so no, I'm not taking sides with someone who "shares my opinion"; if you have read any of my posts, you will find that I'm very open-minded and fair to those who view things from different perspectives. I have had different opinions than yours and we had a fair conversation, right?

I personally haven't seen JDR use that argument before because, as I said, I'm still pretty new here and usually ignore "fanboy" comments when/if they come up. I'm certainly not taking sides, I was just saying "to be fair." Also, Dasale often has similar opinions to me, I just don't like the aggressive manner in which he presents them, so no, I'm not taking sides with someone who "shares my opinion"; if you have read any of my posts, you will find that I'm very open-minded and fair to those who view things from different perspectives. I have had different opinions than yours and we had a fair conversation, right?

You are right, and yeah I went off a little trigger happy on you there. I enjoy our conversations actually. JDR used that fanboy comment on me and then back pedalled on it in another thread(not sure if it was for DA2, or Skyrim which I am also looking forward too)

Before you get to held up in the fact that I seem to only like Modern rpg's I have a good relationship with Basilisk games and even beta tested bothe Eschalon games(get your knocks in here about missed typo's boys, I was more mechanics/encounter tester at least in my mind)

Anyways, I went totally off topic there.

EDIT: One more thing guys, remember how everyone freaked out here about fallout 3? It didn't turn out half bad, even got refined to be great in new vegas.

Back
Top Bottom