|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Last game you finished, tell us about it

Default Last game you finished, tell us about it

March 17th, 2019, 16:11
Evil Within 2 --

As a preamble I did not play the first one so that might impact my experience.
-
I thought the game was very good. It is basically a story driven horror/shooter/stealth game. I don't want to provide spoilers but I felt the story and presentation were pretty decent and semi-original (in this day and age you can always find older similar works). The maps were ok - not super large but still interesting.
-
The balance was decent and the mechanics were pretty good with reasonable upgrades (both the player and the items can be upgraded - character upgrades are chosen from 5 or 6 category and involve buying select upgrades in exchange for 'gel' which you find. You have to pick your upgrade path carefully as you will not be able to buy most upgrades. Likewise for weapons - you can upgrade weapons among a number of paths using 'weapon parts' you find but only a fraction of the upgrades can be picked so pick carefully.
-
I found the game rather difficult - playing on a middle difficulty level but a part of the difficulty came from non-responsive controls using kb/m on the pc. No clue if the controller is more responsive. The layout on the kb/m are decent but don't expect twitch response.
-
Likewise the save is a pia. You can only save in select locations (safe houses) and at key points there are autosaves (but the key points can be quite distant). While typically a save can be made 30 or 45 minutes either auto or manually there are a few sections where it might be an hour+.
-
It isn't a long game - I think i took between 20 and 30 hours and found about 90% of the content - one hint is that if you break these little statues lying everywhere you will get a key for some goodies. Sadly I had no way of knowing such and missed most of the keys (maybe they assumed you played the first game or maybe there was an intro that mentioned it but i don't think so). A few other nit picks around game play and such but overall a very interesting game worth playing.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

March 17th, 2019, 22:45
I recently finishes Elex. Took about 50 hours and loved Every minute of it!
I played gothic I II and III, risen I and III.

I liked it more than risen. The unforgiving open world reminded me a bit of Gothic III, Which would have been my favorate gothic game if it was less buggy.

So for all the Gothic fans… Go play Elex!!

Ursusdraconis

Watchbear
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

March 18th, 2019, 13:57
Yup, completely agree on Elex. Yeah, you could nit-pick some issues, no game is absolutely perfect, but for sheer value and fun from one single product, Elex would be tough to beat. Loved it the first time and I know I'll be replaying it again in the future.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

March 22nd, 2019, 21:17
Mad Max. Fun mechanics but ultimately boring because of the grinding. Clearing camps is fun the first two times. I went for the story which is also meh, except towards the end. There was a surprising turn which I personally didn't see coming, but maybe I should have.

Having a hard time starting up a next game. I think I need a short gaming break or some encouragement:
- the last of us: I took the 7 days ps now trial at the wrong time, so I cancelled it for now
- risen: I'm being slaughtered by 5 wolves at the beginning of the game (and loading times are bad)
- tyranny: couldn't get the steam controller to work

Looked at buying hollow knight, metro 2033, metro last light, or dying light in the sales but postponed it for now till I'm in a better mood for gaming.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

March 23rd, 2019, 00:18
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
Having a hard time starting up a next game. I think I need a short gaming break or some encouragement:
- the last of us: I took the 7 days ps now trial at the wrong time, so I cancelled it for now
- risen: I'm being slaughtered by 5 wolves at the beginning of the game (and loading times are bad)
Risen, like most games from Piranha Bytes, is very difficult in the beginning. It's a great game though if you like open-world with lots of exploration and atmosphere. Don't try to take on more than 1 enemy at a time especially early on.

I don't recall it having particularly long load times. Are you playing the PC version? What are your system specs?

I haven't played Tyranny yet, but why would you want to use a controller for that instead of K+M?
Looked at buying hollow knight, metro 2033, metro last light, or dying light in the sales but postponed it for now till I'm in a better mood for gaming.
The Metro games are really good if you like shooters. 2033 is better than Last Light, but I think they're both worth playing. Metro Exodus is even better yet. Make sure you get the Redux versions.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

March 23rd, 2019, 00:47
Someone please tell me how to unsee this. Please.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

March 23rd, 2019, 00:55
@JDR13 Sorry I did not see your reply in time. I'm slowly getting into Risen and posted in the Risen subforum on it. The loading times aren't that bad, but for such an old game running on a SSD it is slow. The witcher 3 was at least twice as fast, if not instantious when loading into the same region (e.g., after death).

Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Someone please tell me how to unsee this. Please.
I can edit it out for you :-)

I'm just too addicted to my 50 inch tv with decent surround system. If possible, I prefer to play my games this way. Not too mention that my game pc is in a dusty room upstairs. Hmm, I could start looking into a remote keyboard and mouse as I agree it is much better for these kind of games. I just have very bad experiences with battery life when them like 15 years ago. Should be much better now.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Tags
games, mini review
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Last game you finished, tell us about it