Colony Ship - Multiple Quest Solutions

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Colony Ship talks about multiple quest solutions.

We continue working on quests and mechanics, aiming to start beta-testing the first 3 locations in Dec and release on Early Access in March next year.

Now the AI can 'see' and open doors, which will make the game of hide n seek more fun, at least for the AI. We added the first non-human enemy - a turret. You probably saw one in the combat demo, but that was a lifeless 3D model. Now they have stats (for different types), animations (rotate and fire, take damage, etc), and combat behavior. The turrets use proper ammo (not the magical unlimited ammo), so the faster you kill one, the more ammo you'd loot. If it's a friendly turret, you can share your own ammo with it to make sure it won't run out of bullets too soon.

Since you're here for some screens, let's illustrate multiple solutions in combat-heavy scenarios and show our new turret. As you probably know, the starting town's conflict is between Jonas representing freedom, Deadwood-style, that some might call lawlessness and Braxton representing law & order that some might call gubment telling folks what to do and - to add insult to injury - charging tax for the privilege.

It won't be much of a spoiler to tell you that the conflict ends up in a shootout, but what if open assault isn't your style? Then (upon request) you'll be tasked with preventing the locals from coming to Jonas' aid while Braxton's forces do all the heavy lifting. So that's two very different options already but the design miracles don't stop there.

Once you go down that path you get 3 new options: diplomacy (which in turn branches into relying on Impersonate to con the local yokels and Persuasion to convince them that resistance is futile), combat (in case you change your mind and decide to fight after all), and a mix of thievery and jury-rigging. There's an old turret there that's been stripped for parts. You can explore the nearby area while you have time (Lockpick will help a lot here), find the parts and some ammo, and use your Computer skill to fix the targeting module.

MLT3KIz.png

^ the last option won't appear unless you fixed the turret. Let's go with 1.

6icHJEg.png

[...]
More information.

Is it weird that I'm more excited for this one than Cyberpunk?
I mean don't get me wrong, I'm gonna buy both but still...

Not weird at all as I look forward to playing this as well. :)

Though…not as much as Cyberpunk.:p

Instant-buy for me. Age of Decadence is still, to this day, one of the best CRPGs I think that has ever been made for the PC, and I think it's criminally relatively unknown outside hardcore CRPG circles. It was the first RPG that let me play as a merchant, avoid combat, and still tell a really cool, engaging story that I think I've ever played. (Even Planescape: Torment required more combat than the lowly AoD Merchant playthrough did!)

When they said that combat was brutal and best avoided in AoD, boy did they mean that.

Yes. Did you play the demo? I like AoD quite a bit, but I am not impressed by Colony Ship so far.

I did play the demo and to me the combat, whilst fun wasn't the masterpiece of the game. It's the full view of interwoven quests, stories and builds to try out which was fun.

So, not too bothered by the demo at this point.

Instant-buy for me. Age of Decadence is still, to this day, one of the best CRPGs I think that has ever been made for the PC, and I think it's criminally relatively unknown outside hardcore CRPG circles. It was the first RPG that let me play as a merchant, avoid combat, and still tell a really cool, engaging story that I think I've ever played. (Even Planescape: Torment required more combat than the lowly AoD Merchant playthrough did!)

When they said that combat was brutal and best avoided in AoD, boy did they mean that.

After getting a hang of the combat, I actually found a combat character really easy to play, except for a few fights here and there.

What I didn't like about combat in AoD is that I felt they forced me to have my character a certain style, if I wanted to be successful.

The story/ambiance is great and playing a non-fighting class was fairly enjoyable but I felt I was missing a part of the game. But I just couldn't enjoy the battles.

Last edited:
What I didn't like about combat in AoD is that I felt they forced me to have my character a certain style, if I wanted to be successful.

The story/ambiance is great but imo, playing a non-fighting class was fairly enjoyable but I felt I was missing a part of the game. But I just couldn't enjoy the battles.

Happy to provide tips if you want to ever try again :)

Back
Top Bottom