Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer likes Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters, too:

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters review

Deal with cosmic plagues and a quarrelsome crew.

Grand Master Kai looms over my crew via hologram like an enraged Greek cybergod. It's our bimonthly report and he's not happy. Our onboard Inquisitor's desire to procure knowledge about the Nurgle plague has inadvertently accelerated its spread, and he wants to know who's responsible. Do I cover up for Inquisitor Vakir and piss off Brother Ectar, revered captain of the Grey Knights Space Marine Chapter, or do I throw the brash Inquisitor under the bus? Whatever I do, someone will be unhappy, and that will have knock-on effects.

I go for the third option: tell the Grand Master that the mission is going exactly as planned. He buys it, and seeing as we're doing so well in our campaign (which we're really not) he diverts our requisitions and armoury access to some other chapter that needs them more. My reluctance to attribute blame has meant I've stayed onside with my crewmates, but have also ensured that the next two months of our campaign are going to be particularly gruelling.

[...]

A layered and engaging space opera that triumphs both on and off the battlefield.

Score: 87/100
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

I'm glad they quickly wised up and made the Twitch items available for all.

That was a pretty dumb thing to do in the first place.

Who the F invented this Twitch-affecting-games thing, anyway?

I'm glad they quickly wised up and made the Twitch items available for all.

That was a pretty dumb thing to do in the first place.

Who the F invented this Twitch-affecting-games thing, anyway?

These days a lot of people prefer to watch a "content creator" playing a game over playing it themselves. Some games have been catapulted to success simply by some Twitch streamers playing it and spreading the game through other Twitch streamers, in turn giving it a lot of visibility to hundreds of thousands of viewers.

Some Twitch streamers are paid ludicrous amounts of money just to play a game so that their followers watch them play it and hopefully get a lot of interest in the game. It's not far fetched to imagine why some company would offer exclusive content for watching the stream, in the hopes that it will ignite one of these "everyone let's play this game" chain reactions. Something that happened with Valheim for example, and had it selling 5 million copies in such a short time, even as a mostly average indie survival game.

I don't like it either, but it's a social phenomenon that exists, and it works. I don't know who invented it, but it was a very opportunistic genius.

This game is still in the backlog for me. Looks kinda interesting, but not quite there, and the 40k Marine theme is really redundant at this point to me.

The Twitch thing must be why a bunch of very minorly upgraded weapons suddenly showed up in my inventory. I understand why people aren't happy about it, but at the same time they are so minor and I think they added more confusion then benefit, especially since I haven't even gotten to the point where those things are found/unlocked normally yet.

Pretty early into the game, it's interesting but rough around the edges. Had a bug in a mission which made me take a break from the game, but when I reloaded the same save a few days later the bug was gone.

I was glad to see that the stuff that was added into our inventories were minor items. I personally dislike it when a game gives me massively overpowered stuff just for pre-ordering or whatever. I can just not use it, of course, but it bugs me nonetheless. I did equip a few of those +5% crit, etc items, though. The game is hard enough that I didn't feel bad about it.

I personally dislike it when a game gives me massively overpowered stuff just for pre-ordering or whatever. I can just not use it, of course, but it bugs me nonetheless.

I dislike DLC items in general unless they're added in such a way that you have to earn them and there's some challenge in doing so.

I remember starting AC: Odyssey and having two entire armor sets in my inventory because I had purchased the Gold edition. Not only were they OP for the starting region, they were from other timelines and looked completely out of place in that setting. Even more annoying was that I couldn't dump them from my inventory.

I get that a lot of players like stuff like that, but I wish devs would always make it optional. Sometimes you can avoid it by unchecking the the box for that DLC in the game's properties, but other times there's no option or it's part of a larger DLC.

Back
Top Bottom