Elex Elex tips & tricks

I somewhat disagree on the "just roll with it" as I did and then ended up restarting. This game doesn't forgive too many mistakes - which is fine and I like that but it means putting some care into decisions and not just willy-nilly picking things. Give some thought to what you are doing. I like to RP Jax and don't choose things based on power-gaming but I also am not just picking things all over the place because "oh that looks cool lets try it" at least not without a back-up save. I pick things based on my RP view yet also want my character to survive.

My own feeling is I love dialogue checks and like being able to pass certain ones so I am investing points as soon as I can so they add to my checks.

I think that hoarding points in this game is a bad thing - especially since they can count towards various dialogue checks.

By "roll with it" I don't mean pick willy-nilly and waste your points. You obviously still have to be smart about it. This is a Piranha Bytes game after all. :)

But I also would suggest not overanalyzing RPGs. Pick something and roll with it. I.e. freak it to the best of your ability. So if you decide to get lockpicking, cool, go look for locked chests. Use your skills to your advantage, whatever you choose.

PB games are designed to give you choices of how you succeed or progress in the game. So if you choose the Mining skill, make sure you explore and find good mining spots. Or if you decide you want to earn money simply by hunting wildlife, go for Animal Trophies. There's many ways to skin the cat, as they say.

But when it gets into micromanaging and overanalyzing, for me, it becomes much less fun. I like to pick something and then adapt to the situation in the game, whatever that may be. I trust the developers know how to balance the game, and I haven't found any situation in 80 hours of playing that I wanted to re-load some old save and put my points in something else. The choices and consequences in a PB game also extend to the skill choices. So you aren't going to pass every skill check in the first run, far from it actually. And I don't really think there's a way to totally bork your character in ELEX.

Just my 2 cents. If you can get something from them, cool. If not, that's cool too. :)

I am gonna try not using elex potions in my fourth run as a cleric with ranged weapons. I will also try and get the human achievement.

I had a fun quest in tavar. You need a type of claw to get it started.

Liam tells you the duke has some elexit coming in and want you to intercept it. The first couple of runs through the game, I killed the guards causing a negative effect on the story for me. This time I did something a little different. There was a ripper spider thingy close to them, so I lure it to them and while they were fighting I stole everything and looted the safe. No negative out come from that. :)

First couple runs?! You’ve completed the game twice already?! Impressive!

I am just in love with the game. I dont know if it my favourite game ever but if it s not, it is certainly close.

BTW if you are playing a cleric, you MUST do the "four houses" thing even if you need a guide for it. Trust me.

I am just in love with the game. I dont know if it my favourite game ever but if it s not, it is certainly close.

Wow, awesome! It's nice to hear others are as impressed with this gem as I am. :)

Game is a PB come back, cant help imagining a real Gothic 4 with that momentum :( , cause, after all, medieval fantasy > all :D.
I also miss the caves, no caves so far (lvl 10).

Last edited:
Game is a PB come back, cant help imagining a real Gothic 4 with that momentum :( , cause, after all, medieval fantasy > all :D.

Gothic 4...yaowza! Would be dope. But after playing ELEX I'm really, really psyched for ELEX 2 (which is already confirmed...yeehaw!)

Caves, yes. It could do with more holes in the ground to crawl in, for sure.

If the gap between weapon upgrades is too great, try crafting. I found this great bow but it required 90 strength. A vast improvement over my cultivator bow. However an upgrade of the cultivator bow got me mid 40s damage, not great but at least now I can take down most baddies if I have enough arrows. BTW, upgrading my cultivator bow to #2, will get me very close to the 90 strength bow, but with far less attributes needed.

One thing I wish they would improve is the ability to wear more than one ring. I have about 10 rings and 5 amulets with an additional 12 (?) plans for jewelry. Strangely, the plus 5 armor / plus 1 lock pick amulet that I got early in the beginning of the game is still in play.

Last edited:
Definitely @Dajjer;. Wish you could take multiple companions, too. Those things are probably a balancing nightmare in a game like this, lol. Would be nice, though...

Man, some of the balancing and attention to detail is mindblowing. This is probably the most balanced RPG with the most impacting item list I've ever played. I don't mean that in a cold, lifeless "balanced" sense. It's just that literally every item is useful in some way or another. Super crazy stuff.

Tips:

Keep some raw meat handy, don't fry it all (useful for some recipes.)
Find some good food recipes, especially the ones that increase resistances.
Combine a food item that increases resistance + a chem at the same time for extra resistance (Gland Soup + Antitoxin creates 60 resistance to poison instead of 40.)
Save attribute points for a few levels just to have time to figure out the next Ability upgrade you want. (But spend the Learning Points when you can.)

Unless you have absurdly high stats, the upgraded blaster versions of laser and plasma weapons are much better than rifles for most of the game. A blaster upgraded to level 2 will have similar requirements to a level 1 rifle but do significantly more damage.

I didn't use flamethrower as it's "stunlock" feature feels cheesy. If there was no other way to beat something, perhaps I'd switch to it.

Laser highly efficient versus organics and plasma weapons against robots (EMP) on the other hand seem logical and as DPB stated, they rock.

Oh, and keep those scrolls handy! A Drone Control spell early on can win you tougher fights than you should win.

Also, it might not hurt to "farm" Isopods when you see them. The Woodlice meat can be used for an effective food recipe that bolsters your radiation resistance.

Lastly for now, I would also grab all the gemstones you see, forbidden or not, if you plan on using them in crafting. I'm roleplaying a non-stealing character (for the most part) but those gemstones are very rare. I'm not sure if they exist much outside of other people's property, so if you plan on using them in crafting, you should probably grab every one you see.

I couldnt get the drone to attack my enemies for some reason. So i used force push instead which seems to be double the damage it is supposed to, so an alb commander loses about 1/4 of his health and the guard at Goliat loses 1/2 of his health to it.

I have one real criticism of Elex and that is the setting is not pure fantasy! Every time I kill an laser gun welding Alp with rusty 1h axe, part of me dies as well!

Also if they are going to do pure fantasy, I think they should do whole new setting. I think they have got enough mileage out of Gothic setting and there isn't much left in there. Its time to move on from it.

I didn't use flamethrower as it's "stunlock" feature feels cheesy. If there was no other way to beat something, perhaps I'd switch to it.

Laser highly efficient versus organics and plasma weapons against robots (EMP) on the other hand seem logical and as DPB stated, they rock.

I had a chance to witness the flamethrower for the first time yesterday. I can’t believe it’s as strong as it is.

-Burn damage
-Splash damage
-Fairly fast rate of fire
-Constant stun/knockback/knockdown effect
-Ammo is cheap (with Haggler 1, ammo is 1 Elex per piece)
-Reload is remarkably fast
-Low attribute requirement (I think I was able to equip this around level 9).

The only downsides are not being able to use the jet pack or sprint with the weapon in hand, neither of which are really necessary due to the stun.

Last edited:
Right?
Once you obtain a flamethrower, who cares about faction specific powers and armor, everything dies easily. :)

I'm not saying PB should rework crowdcontrol effects, but perhaps requirements to equip it shoud go more upwards. If not doubled then tripled.

Back
Top Bottom