The Witcher 2 - Review @ Desctructoid

I thought the difficulty was pretty high right from the beginning, but many games are that way - the Gothic series for instance. Right now I am having a difficult time with the first boss, the Kayran. badmofo has a good point too, I dislike having to play find the pixel to loot a body or open a door. I liked the combat in the first Witcher a lot better; this seems more like button mashing and dodging, I preferred the combos in the first.

I wouldn't have gave the game at 6 though. It's not perfect but it still an enjoyable experience so far. I might have knocked off a point or two for the things I mentioned above, but not 4 points.

Not to mention, our Witching hero relies on potions to bump up his endurance and attack, but they can only be drank out of combat, which requires players to be clairvoyant and assume when they're needed.

Dead on. Maybe I'm just being a sissy, but this is one aspect of the game that I truly hate.

Right now I am having a difficult time with the first boss, the Kayran.

This fight does not fit the depiction given by the reviewer. Actually, I was surprised how fast the tip to defeat it was revealed. The tip comes if you do not manage on your first or second try (hard) The game does not let the player in a fog very long for this one. Most MG games let players more time to figure out by themselves how defeat a boss.

This review is not critical other than being tastes oriented. The gameplay conflicts with the reviewer's taste therefore issues.

All is thought in terms of his comfort and not in terms of what experience the game should deliver.
Not criticism.

A review by a player who does not want to 'waste' time playing a game. Everything must be obvious and directly accessible.

Dead on. Maybe I'm just being a sissy, but this is one aspect of the game that I truly hate.

Not dead on. I am playing a fully alchemist character and I can tell that alchemy is neither essential nor necessary to perform in the game. So no, the character does not rely on potions. The character can be supported by potions but certainly not relied on them.

Alchemy is scrapped in the game but certainly not because the character relies on it but because he does not rely on it.

Jim Sterling is known to hate RPGs
It could work if The Witcher 2 was a RPG, which it is not.
Never take any review on Destructoid as anything more then a troll attempt to drive revenues from advertisers on his site
Traffic is the core of the Internet.

Not really. I played alchemist and it's not necessary to drink potions before battles in order to win. It does however make the combat easier and the berserk ability is really useful. Also, the duration of potions is greatly increased if you go with the alchemy tree so it's not necessary to drink potions very often.

I think 6/10 is very unfair - but several people have high-lighted the games weakest part: the damned user interface. From the poorly designed inventory panel (with auto-scrolling text, poor organziation) to the hoppitty-skippety way of manoeuvring about things. I set off a number of traps, which I was trying to disarm, but walking over them, accidentally. I've been trapped in cramped rooms unable to roll (or jump for gods sake…over a 30cm high box!) away from danger, stuck against a rock by 'companions' (can't walk through them), the list goes on. The auto-targeting has a mind of its own "whoa! I'm attcking that guy now!?" Combat does often degerate into a left/right click fest. I prefered Risen/Gothic in this respect. I do appreciate the challenge in getting through shielded opponents, but there is much to criticize in the combat/navigation mechanics. Fortunately the game makes up for this in other ways. .

That review did nothing but make me realize that Jim Sterling has little credibility. I don't think it was even worth linking to.

As others have suggested, it's nothing more than an attention grab.

Edit- Btw, Jim Sterling is also the same guy who gave Alpha Protocol a 2/10. As I said… little credibility.

Last edited:
After a google of "Jim Sterling" it seems this person is not a gamereviewer but a troll who just wants attension with his reviews.

I think one option to consider is to avoid his reviews totally. Why even make a news post about them if he is just trolling? Doing it is like feeding the trolls.

It's pretty hard to objectively establish a reviewer as a troll. So, from the "Watch" perspective - it's perfectly legitimate to post this as news.

Also, just because most of us like The Witcher 2 - it's not written in stone that everyone who doesn't is a troll.

That's exceedingly stupid and arrogant to claim - based on that review. The guy just didn't like it, and he had a problem with the experience. That's fair enough. Doesn't mean he's an idiot.

Well, it does, but we're all idiots.

I didnt say it just based on this review but based on his review history. Watch can of course do what it wants but personally Im going to avoid this reviewer in future.

Its not really that different from som hardware reviewers. There is one who really is commonly known to be biased (name on the tongue but cant remember) so I have avoided him for years now.

As for Jim Sterling he has a nickname called:"The Biggest Troll on the Internet".

Last edited:
And i have just as much right to call him a troll if i wish. And I didnt say it just based on this review but based on his review history. After seeing that Im not interested of his opinnion.

Why wouldn't you have the right?

You're questioning the posting of the news piece because of your opinion, though, which is the arrogant and stupid part.

That's just my opinion, though, which it is MY right to have.

No, but a lot of beancounters quote metacritic numbers,
Go on metacritic.com, check "reviewers" who gave 0 to the witcher 2. almost all of them gave 10 to dragon age 2.

destructoid reviewer is however not just another case of EA rox/CDprojekt sux troll.
He doesn't like the game, so what? Why shouldn't we respect everyone's taste?
Just let him be happy and play with the toy cars.

Why wouldn't you have the right?

You're questioning the posting of the news piece because of your opinion, though, which is the arrogant and stupid part.

That's just my opinion, though, which it is MY right to have.
Its not just my opinnion but opinnion of many others. Youre saying they are all arrogant and stupid based on what? Do you have a fetish for calling people arrogant and stupid? You seem to repeat it often.

Its not just my opinnion but opinnion of many others. Do you have a fetish for calling people arrogant and stupid? You seem to repeat it often.

I repeat it often, because people often behave that way. But it's possible to behave that way without actually being arrogant and stupid overall.

So, it's more what you're saying I'm talking about - rather than your entire person. Because I don't know you at all.

Also, you could consider me something of a misanthrope in a "light" way - so it's sort of par for the course.

I repeat it often, because people often behave that way. But it's possible to behave that way without actually being arrogant and stupid overall.

So, it's more what you're saying I'm talking about - rather than your entire person. Because I don't know you at all.

Also, you could consider me something of a misanthrope in a "light" way - so it's sort of par for the course.
Ok. Nice way of putting it. Id like to put something nasty here but since its friday Ill skip it.

And I often repeat that someone calling someone's attempts at argumentation and fact-finding "just an opinion" are brain dead zombies unable of thinking critically and blindly defending zero-brain approach to anything.

Sterling IS troll. That is a provable fact.

Nothing arrogant about saying so (and even if, arrogant != stupid).

Back
Top Bottom