The Witcher 2 - Review @ Desctructoid

And I often repeat that someone calling someone's attempts at argumentation and fact-finding "just an opinion" are brain dead zombies unable of thinking critically and blindly defending zero-brain approach to anything.

Sterling IS troll. That is a provable fact.

Nothing arrogant about saying so (and even if, arrogant != stupid).

Please tell me you're joking. Do you honestly believe you can prove that he's a troll in an objective way?

I'd love to see you try, though maybe this thread is not the right place for it.

If you really believe you can prove such a thing in such a way, I'm going to have to consider that both arrogant and stupid.

He doesn't like the game, so what? Why shouldn't we respect everyone's taste?

If the reviewer states his/her tastes before starting a review (or has a permanent link to them), reviews based on tastes are excellent. After all, if your tastes are the same as the reviewer, you might come to appreciate the same games as the reviewer.

This reviewer does nothing like that. He takes another path, that is accessing the qualities of the game, independently of his tastes.

This is lunacy. He gave it a 6/10. It's not a great score, but it's not a horrible score either. You can't claim he's trolling by giving a game a 6/10.

Just reading the various threads around here and comments from people who like the game shows many negative comments. It sounds like everyone was creaming real hard over this when they first installed it and now are mentioning the various bugs and problems it has. Anyone remember the first Witcher? All the problems it had until a completely revamped "enhanced" edition came out?

I swear I hate video game culture.

This is lunacy. He gave it a 6/10. It's not a great score, but it's not a horrible score either. You can't claim he's trolling by giving a game a 6/10.

Just reading the various threads around here and comments from people who like the game shows many negative comments. It sounds like everyone was creaming real hard over this when they first installed it and now are mentioning the various bugs and problems it has. Anyone remember the first Witcher? All the problems it had until a completely revamped "enhanced" edition came out?

While we agree about the first thing, I find the second thing REALLY amusing - coming from you.

You see, I clearly remember your pre-release disposition towards Dragon Age 2 - and how you've downplayed its weaknesses ever since.

Not sure what you're talking about. I never claimed to love DA2. I thought it was pretty good though. Overall I'd give it a 7 or 8/10, which is a high score in my opinion.

What was my "pre-release disposition towards Dragon Age 2"? As I remember it, I was optimistic and wasn't full of gloom and doom before ever actually playing the damn thing. Bioware makes solid games that I almost always enjoy, so why shouldn't I have looked forward to it? Fretting and complaining based on press releases and "news" stories from video game blogs — before the game is even available — is remarkably stupid.

I haven't "downplayed" anything. DA2 has weaknesses, but it was solid, enjoyable and almost entirely bug-free. To me, for a game to be even somewhat good, I need to be able to play it without crashes or major bugs, long loading screens or slow, annoying gameplay. Once it achieves that minimum, I can judge whether it is "good" or not. Isn't my favorite game ever, but it's near the top in my opinion. I enjoyed it as much as DA1, which I found extremely slow and boring in some parts. Games have flaws. Acknowledging flaws is OK.

But the hell of it is: I really like DA2. I can't wait for more DLC. So my optimism before it came out wasn't naive. It turned out to be well founded.

Last edited:
I'm not going to read it but I find a 6/10 more convincing than the endless parade of >9/10.
As I see it reviewers should only touch 9 when they are absolutely convinced that what they are reviewing is about to make a significant impact in human culture as a whole and the final 10th point should only be awarded by 'history'.

Then again giving scores like the reviewer is some sort of school teacher is just dumb.

Not sure what you're talking about. I never claimed to love DA2. I thought it was pretty good though. Overall I'd give it a 7 or 8/10, which is a high score in my opinion.

What was my "pre-release disposition towards Dragon Age 2"? As I remember it, I was optimistic and wasn't full of gloom and doom before ever actually playing the damn thing. Bioware makes solid games that I almost always enjoy, so why shouldn't I have looked forward to it? Fretting and complaining based on press releases and "news" stories from video game blogs — before the game is even available — is remarkably stupid.

I haven't "downplayed" anything. DA2 has weaknesses, but it was solid, enjoyable and almost entirely bug-free. To me, for a game to be even somewhat good, I need to be able to play it without crashes or major bugs, long loading screens or slow, annoying gameplay. Once it achieves that minimum, I can judge whether it is "good" or not. Isn't my favorite game ever, but it's near the top in my opinion. I enjoyed it as much as DA1, which I found extremely slow and boring in some parts. Games have flaws. Acknowledging flaws is OK.

But the hell of it is: I really like DA2. I can't wait for more DLC. So my optimism before it came out wasn't naive. It turned out to be well founded.

I think the point is that I perceived you just like you seem to be perceiving fans of The Witcher 2.

If you can't see that, it's no problem.

I was just amused by it.

I was comenting on the fact that people here are upset that someone on the internet gave the Witcher 2 a score of 6/10 and see this as "trolling".

I certainly didn't get upset by middling scores or sensible criticisms of DA2. What got me was people excoriating the game before release, then drama-queening about how Bioware has betrayed them, spit in their faces, killed the RPG, never again, etc.

But whatever.

I was comenting on the fact that people here are upset that someone on the internet gave the Witcher 2 a score of 6/10 and see this as "trolling".

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's trolling in this particular instance, but Sterling has definitely done reviews in the past that were obvious cries for attention. Like giving Alpha Protocol a 2/10. I didn't like Alpha Protocol personally, but to score it a 2/10 was ridiculously unrealistic, and can't even be taken seriously.

I realize reviews are 100% subjective, but there's no way TW2 is a 6/10. I'd like to know what crpgs this guy has been playing lately that are so good he considers TW2 a 6/10 by his standards.

I certainly didn't get upset by middling scores or sensible criticisms of DA2. What got me was people excoriating the game before release, then drama-queening about how Bioware has betrayed them, spit in their faces, killed the RPG, never again, etc.

But whatever.
As JDR points out what I meant was his past reviews. His history in internet. I dont think they call him the "Biggest troll in the internet" for no reason?

As for witcher review perhaps he has just became better in his hobby. Best trolls are those you dont notice. Score of 6/10 is perfect for gathering attention while 2/10 would be too much of obvious troll.

Does the review point out why he gives 6/10? What kind of review scale does he use? Is it a waste of time trying to figure it out?

I certainly didn't get upset by middling scores or sensible criticisms of DA2.

His report is not sensible. It does not speak of the game. See boss fights. In the Kayran fight, the tip comes after ten, fifty seconds after the start. Nothing that could justify the reviewer's stance of being let out of a cryptic pattern to follow.

Go on metacritic.com, check "reviewers" who gave 0 to the witcher 2. almost all of them gave 10 to dragon age 2.

Symptomatic of our times. Don't acknowledge the extremists, ignore their inputs, and maybe we will get back to some rationale behavior and discussions.

Please tell me you're joking. Do you honestly believe you can prove that he's a troll in an objective way?

I'd love to see you try, though maybe this thread is not the right place for it.

If you really believe you can prove such a thing in such a way, I'm going to have to consider that both arrogant and stupid.

Hahaha.

There is no such thing as objectivity.

Only interpretations.

My nihilism syndrome is so high right now.

If you are afflicted with nihilism syndrome then you are set for objectivity. Or that might be nothing like nihilism syndrome.

Back
Top Bottom