LoA: The Forgotten Crown - Review @ Wizard Worm - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » LoA: The Forgotten Crown - Review @ Wizard Worm

Default LoA: The Forgotten Crown - Review @ Wizard Worm

December 30th, 2021, 11:33
Wizard Worm checked out Legends of Amberland - an RPG in the style of Might & Magic 1-5:

Legends of Amberland Review - Where is The Forgotten Crown? (Party-Based RPG)

loading…

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)

December 30th, 2021, 15:21
Played the heck out of this a few years ago. It really gives decent MM3 vibes. Even though I typically hate grid movement, if it looks old enough it triggers nostalgia and I can ignore it

I quit playing it because I hit level 20 and could no longer find a challenge in battle. I had all the good equipment by that point too. Of course, the game has likely changed by this point because I think I had it in Early Access/Beta.

Well worth the $$ if you like old-school blobbers.

Maybe albien44 or whoever could drop a review. Not sure which of y'all use that nick on Steam though, lol. Whoever it is has been playing this almost much as I play SCUM
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

December 30th, 2021, 15:35
I finished and enjoyed it. I don't think its as deep as MM3. But that's a hard game to compare to, because it was a real masterpiece for its time. LOA is a sold retro game, and it doesn't cost much. There are also not many open world M&M type blobbers on the market today.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
+1:

December 30th, 2021, 16:49
Hey, forgottenlor, what level were your characters at the end? Did you keep finding level relevant loot even towards the end? I stopped after fighting the big red dragon around level 20-25. I think I still had several map sectors to finish but I wasn't getting any new loot and the fights were not challenging, but this was over two years ago. I think I'll fire it up.

I want to strongly suggest you try Legendary Journeys if you like Might and Magic. This guy goes the MMVI route as that was his favorite of the series. I bet you'll love it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1…dary_Journeys/

Hey, if someone would like a copy of this, just friend me on Steam and I'll buy one copy for whoever answers this first. P.S. People that don't post on the forums won't be acknowledged, so have at least 100 posts on your avatar, sheesh! forgottenlor this includes you if you'd like.
--
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

December 30th, 2021, 18:01
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Hey, forgottenlor, what level were your characters at the end? Did you keep finding level relevant loot even towards the end? I stopped after fighting the big red dragon around level 20-25. I think I still had several map sectors to finish but I wasn't getting any new loot and the fights were not challenging, but this was over two years ago. I think I'll fire it up.

I want to strongly suggest you try Legendary Journeys if you like Might and Magic. This guy goes the MMVI route as that was his favorite of the series. I bet you'll love it.

Hey, if someone would like a copy of this, just friend me on Steam and I'll buy one copy for whoever answers this first. P.S. People that don't post on the forums won't be acknowledged, so have at least 100 posts on your avatar, sheesh! forgottenlor this includes you if you'd like.
I have been waiting for Legendary Journeys to get out of early access is it worth playing now or is it very unfinished

I played Amberland two times the first I did everything except for killing a black dragon that was too strong for me the second time I stopped at around the same time as you did I agree that the loot progression is somewhat stymied in the game and i would have liked to find some secrets in the overland map a la M&M 3-5 but for what it is I found it very enjoyable

I also sent a friend request on steam not that I use steam much or chat clients for that matter
Last edited by mprod; December 30th, 2021 at 18:18.

mprod

Sentinel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

December 30th, 2021, 18:12
Thanks for the follow-up @mprod. Let me talk with the dev on LJ and get you an update. I was his main troubleshooter/bugfinder for over a year, but it's been a year+ since I've played it. He works like a madman on it and I think you can complete the main quest but I'll check.

Another you guys might like is Gedonia. This is like a poor man's Skyrim though. It's been way too long since I played that one but it gave me dozens of hours of fun and it is content complete now and probably out of early access.
--
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

December 30th, 2021, 18:38
I'm playing this game right now. Well, not a lot actually, as I've been busy with family around the holidays, yet from what I have seen this game is a lot of fun. It very much nails the M&M vibe, in all the great ways. I look forward to spending some more time with LoA as soon as time permits!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

December 30th, 2021, 18:50
Just checked and Legendary Journeys is in my Steam library! Like @mprod I'm waiting for full release. It looks like its coming together nicely.
Gedonia is on sale right now, so I might add that on your recommendation @crpgnut! even though at first look it seemed more like a Breath of the Wild Knock off!

shamroxor

Watchdog

December 30th, 2021, 19:21
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post

Hi Couch, I've picked up a copy of Legendary Journeys, Thanks! I can't remember what level my characters were. At some point leveling felt pretty meaningless, as I wasn't getting new spells and it was just more health and spell points.

Spoiler –

forgottenlor

RPGWatch Team

December 30th, 2021, 20:54
I gave in and purchased Legendary Journeys its only 5€ at the moment

Concerning hardest monsters in amberland
Spoiler

mprod

Sentinel

December 30th, 2021, 23:01
Originally Posted by mprod View Post
I gave in and purchased Legendary Journeys it´s only 5€ at the moment

Concerning hardest monsters in amberland
Spoiler
Spoiler –

forgottenlor

RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » LoA: The Forgotten Crown - Review @ Wizard Worm