RPGWatch Feature - Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Preview and Q&A - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Preview and Q&A

Default RPGWatch Feature - Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Preview and Q&A

May 5th, 2021, 15:04
Last week Owcat gave a presentation of the second beta and our won Redglyph visited that presentation and participated in the Q&A that followed, resulting in an article where it is all penned down.

Owlcat feels that they have reached a very important stage of the development where they can share the game with a lot more players and gather their feedback, information and suggestions to make the best CRPG possible. Right now, there is quite an amount of content: 60 hours of gameplay, consisting of the prologue and 4 complete chapters out of 6, which means the endgame is not part of the beta.
There is a lot to explore, but it's still beta so it does not have the final quality. At the beginning it's quite polished but as you go deeper, some bugs can be encountered that will be fixed over time, but these bugs should not be restricting you much as the game is still fully playable, and they hope it will give you as a player a very enjoyable experience for the first 60 hours or so.
The presentation focused on the top 10 beta features in the game, and although there are many more, these were the ones Owlcat wanted to talk about in the presentation.

[…]
More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is online now

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 10,622
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)

Default 

May 5th, 2021, 15:14
Thanks a lot @Myrthos for all the work you did to reflow the raw transcript into a readable article and add the pics!

It was a nice experience, attending this presentation, Owlcat Games is really a great team and the others who where present asked very interesting questions. All that went pretty well in a relaxed and fun atmosphere. They'll probably release the videos, I'll keep you posted.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 4,841
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)

Default 

May 5th, 2021, 15:19
Love the evasive answer about Starfinder when it's confirmed by official job postings on social media they are working on a ScFy TB RPG after Wrath of the Righteous.

As for release I knew it wouldn't be in June, but forecasted it would release for the holiday season in September-December of 2021. Looks like I was correct on that topic. @Redglyph thanks for transcribing the Q&A.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Jaded Old-Timer

#3

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spudlandia
Posts: 28,586
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 5th, 2021, 15:27
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Love the evasive answer about Starfinder when it's confirmed by official job postings on social media they are working on a ScFy TB RPG after Wrath of the Righteous.

As for release I knew it wouldn't be in June, but forecasted it would release for the holiday season in September-December of 2021. Looks like I was correct on that topic.
I knew you'd love it

I was expecting a later date, but that still leaves them 4 months to complete the crusade system and patch the remaining bugs.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 4,841
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)

Default 

May 5th, 2021, 15:41
September sounds good to me, they just need to make sure the game is thoroughly playtested and relatively bug-free (fully bug free games are a lie and everyone knows that) and it'll be a day 1 purchase for me.

Nereida

Guest

#5

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

May 6th, 2021, 13:00
A little summary video:

Those dinosaurs seem handy (but @wolfgrimdark has already made another choice )
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 4,841
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)

Default 

May 6th, 2021, 15:54
Another extremely content filled article from @Redglyph. Thanks for the vast amount of work you did for this article. You are one of the few present who doesn't seem to have a mount fetish. I also think its funny someone actually thought about romance options for the magic item companion, but to each his own I guess.
forgottenlor is offline

forgottenlor

forgottenlor's Avatar
Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

#7

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 2,590
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

Default 

May 6th, 2021, 17:37
I appreciate the text article very much, huge thanks! I'm quite leery of clicking video links, so reading is my preferred option.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#8

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 15,244
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 6th, 2021, 18:35
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
Another extremely content filled article from @Redglyph. Thanks for the vast amount of work you did for this article. You are one of the few present who doesn't seem to have a mount fetish. I also think its funny someone actually thought about romance options for the magic item companion, but to each his own I guess.
Thanks! I wasn't the only one working on that, @Myrthos made it so much more readable.

Well, there is no badger But there is a cute little dragon, as a present coming with the Azata mythic path. She (or he? Camera is top-down and it's so hard to tell) is very talkative and chaotic, it's a lot of fun. I think it's possible to mount dragons once they grow up.

Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I appreciate the text article very much, huge thanks! I'm quite leery of clicking video links, so reading is my preferred option.
It's rare that someone appreciates the text option, but not among RPG fans for some reason Both have their advantages, but in this case the text is usually faster and allows to select the interesting topics.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#9

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 4,841
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)

Default 

May 6th, 2021, 21:28
It's also trustworthy. I'm rather protective of my computer, it is my main contact to the outside world, and I cherish it.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#10

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 15,244
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 6th, 2021, 23:13
I prefer text over video myself unless video is obviously needed to showcase something very visual.

The dragon is cute but I prefer my wolf I am researching some of the other paths even though the Azata one is like it was custom made for my character … so may just have to put up with it.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
wolfgrimdark is offline

wolfgrimdark

wolfgrimdark's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#11

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,394
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

December 31st, 2021, 21:04
I consider Blackguards I-II stellar compared to this.

Tried out this game yesterday. Uggh! Way too sugary for me. The amount of saliva spewed all over the place during the intro and the overplayed theatrically voiced dialogues there quickly dissipated my hopes for a gritty, gore-filled dark fantasy combat simulation RPG. Pathfinder it is definitely not! Despite the turn-based MOD incorporated into this thing now, but I haven't even made it until combat.. Because when opening the first equipment crate I looked at the really tiny uninteresting equipment icons and that hit the final nail into the coffin of Pathfinder.. After having had to endure the miniature UI headers.. ugh. Plus the intro combat is quite inane, but definitely eye-catching with all those enemies just popping in.
Even the first chapter of Divinity - Original Sin 2 was better, until it drowned in its own confusing mess and rotten design..
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.
mercy is offline

mercy

mercy's Avatar
SasqWatch

#12

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,111
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

December 31st, 2021, 23:36
Owlcat should do an Tales Of Equestria game.






Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I consider Blackguards I-II stellar compared to this.

Tried out this game yesterday. Uggh! Way too sugary for me. The amount of saliva spewed all over the place during the intro and the overplayed theatrically voiced dialogues there quickly dissipated my hopes for a gritty, gore-filled dark fantasy combat simulation RPG. Pathfinder it is definitely not! Despite the turn-based MOD incorporated into this thing now, but I haven't even made it until combat.. Because when opening the first equipment crate I looked at the really tiny uninteresting equipment icons and that hit the final nail into the coffin of Pathfinder.. After having had to endure the miniature UI headers.. ugh. Plus the intro combat is quite inane, but definitely eye-catching with all those enemies just popping in.
Even the first chapter of Divinity - Original Sin 2 was better, until it drowned in its own confusing mess and rotten design..
Judging from your description, and compared to what you like, I won't touch DOS2 not even with a ten-feet-pole (or pitchfork).
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#13

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 20,716
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

Default 

January 1st, 2022, 04:19
Ouch! I really need to try this game at some point, as I quite enjoyed the first one, once all the bugs were….wait, what am I saying, even after taking a pause for over three years, when I went back I ran into some new bugs, lol. And man, seeing this lumped with Original Sin Two….even bigger ouch, my disdain for that title is well known, so I'll just stop there.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#14

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 15,244
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

Default 

January 1st, 2022, 04:39
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Ouch! I really need to try this game at some point, as I quite enjoyed the first one, once all the bugs were….wait, what am I saying, even after taking a pause for over three years, when I went back I ran into some new bugs, lol. And man, seeing this lumped with Original Sin Two….even bigger ouch, my disdain for that title is well known, so I'll just stop there.
Comparing WotR and D:OS2 is like comparing apples and oranges.

As for bugs, yes there are still bugs for WotR but no where near as severe as Kingmaker at its initial launch. I don't know how long mercy played it before giving his "impression" but I played for over 200 hour and found it generally stable.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate 2, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale
purpleblob1 is offline

purpleblob1

purpleblob1's Avatar
Princess

#15

Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 1st, 2022, 11:52
@Carnifex From the quote I see, he's obviously after another sort of game, and that's not what I'd call a reliable account.

There are a few minor bugs in all games, it should not prevent your from all the fun you can have with them. I wouldn't have said the same 2 months ago, but I haven't had any problem recently.

And as Purple said, those two games have very little in common.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#16

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 4,841
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)

Default 

January 1st, 2022, 18:35
Oh, no worries, even with the bugs and such in the first Pathfinder game, I had a lot of fun with it and I'll be playing Wrath for sure at some point.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#17

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 15,244
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Preview and Q&A
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:46.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch