KoA: Reckoning - Preview Roundup

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We're finally getting some updates on Reckoning: Kingdoms of Amalur with a small handful of previews hitting the 'net. Let's start with VG247 - it's still general overview territory but we learn a few useful things, such as an expected release in 2012 and no scaling. A snip on the world size and scaling:
“It’s really big,” said Dunn. “It’s really hard to put a square footage or anything like that on the world. It is an open world kind of in the frame of, like, an Oblivion. You can go just about anywhere. Also, there’s the power of the player [to consider]. We don’t auto-level the power of the world depending on the level of the player. You can get yourself into trouble by roaming into an area or a dungeon where stuff is just too powerful for you.”
“And the beauty of that is that you may get your ass kicked in a place, but you get to go build up your character and then return to exact retribution on the stuff that caused you problems. To feel powerful in a world, you have to also feel in danger, you know? So it’s really important that we don’t want to pigeonhole the player into playing this area and then this area and then this area. It is an open world, but there are places where the player can get themselves into trouble.”
IGN has an article titled The Basics:
Amalur is divided into five distinct regions. What we've seen so far is a pretty colorful world, a bit like Fable, but just a touch grittier. It's not dim and ugly like Oblivion or most fantasy worlds. It's filled with unique-looking versions of well-known monsters (Kobolds, Trolls and the like). Big Huge Games is promising that everything in the world -- all the ancient ruins and any architecture -- exists for a reason. There's a story behind everything, some of which is told to you by non-playable characters, and some you can read in books found in the game world.
Suddenly Oblivion is "ugly". Anyway, on to Joystiq:
Combat is certainly a focus -- it starts out simple, with just a few one-button combos using your first weapon. But soon a shield gets added into the mix and you can learn to not only block attacks but also parry them when timed correctly, causing a stun or extra damage. Soon, you can assign multiple weapons to the various buttons (the warrior I saw wielded a broadsword and a hammer, and could switch them up instantly), and doing things like holding them down or pressing them in a certain timing sequence creates all sorts of flashy and rewarding action combos, even including things like aerial launches and juggles.

There are even -- yes, God of War-style -- quicktime events, usually the last enemy in a sequence, that use extra button presses for extra damage and action. The combat is more like Bayonetta than Kratos, actually -- even the warrior adds a little magic to his attacks to bring spikes up out of the ground or slash with a flaming sword.
Finally, some new screens from GDC at Worthplaying.
More information.

Big open world with no level scaling. Oh my god, it's too good to be true. I'm in. :)

There are even — yes, God of War-style — quicktime events

What does this mean ?

What does this mean ?

Sadly, it means that in certain boss fights, when the bosses' health gets low enough, a scripted sequence takes place where you have to hit the correct buttons when prompted, usually in quick succession, in order to finish the boss off. Think Guitar Hero, but in an action game.

In my opinion, QTE's need to die, as they are shallow and immersion-breaking.

Other than the inclusion of QTE's, I'm cautiously optimistic about this one :).

Sadly, it means that in certain boss fights, when the bosses' health gets low enough, a scripted sequence takes place where you have to hit the correct buttons when prompted, usually in quick succession, in order to finish the boss off. Think Guitar Hero, but in an action game.

In my opinion, QTE's need to die, as they are shallow and immersion-breaking.

Other than the inclusion of QTE's, I'm cautiously optimistic about this one :).

I hated those events in force unleashed when you had to hit certain keys in a few seconds. If you miss you have to do them again. That got annoying really fast.
I remember reading somewhere that the witcher 2 would have them also. I agree they need to die.

Heavy Rain was a game made entirely of those quick-time events and people acted like it was Jesus reborn as a video game. Telltale's coming Jurassic Park game aped this style, and I bet it gets even more pervasive in the adventure game genre.

If used right they can be ok, I honestly hated them before I tried god of war. In that game they worked well. You want to talk QTE, talk about the grand daddy of them (shenmue).

The game certainly has some nice art, thanks to mcfarlane. I actually enjoy ra salvatore's stuff when I was young, it was nice easy reading so maybe something can come good of all this. Certainly looks like it has good production values.

I have never liked QTE's but a few games that had them I have tolerated it like Indigo Prophecy.

Those events were pretty annoying in Force Unleashed. Other than that, however, KoA sounds really interesting.

Release 2012? Boo.
QTEs? Boo.
Huge open world? Sweet.
No level-scalling? I am sold :)
In other worlds - the game looks interesting (for me) and I am getting a wee bit more optimistic.

Last edited:
The first guy, from VG247, really should have finished high school English.

Telltale's coming Jurassic Park game aped this style, and I bet it gets even more pervasive in the adventure game genre.

Really ?

That's bad in my opinion, because I believe that adventure games should rather be about solving puzzles ...

Back
Top Bottom