Matt Chat - Champions of Krynn

You sure can play them!!! And if turn based, difficult games with tactical combat and stellar stories are your bag, these products have all that plus much more!! I replayed this most recently about three years ago, and the versions I had from great old games worked just fine for me.

Are the amiga versions superior? I remember that the amiga version of Pool of Radiance had a very atmospheric intro / camping tune. And maybe slightly better graphics.
I have to try this "Companion".

i'm partial to the grand ol' SID chip, so the C64 version is certainly my favourite for the sounds alone. Back in the day my disk "Side E" was corrupt, so I'd get up to the section with Tas and the falling keeps towards the end and not be able to complete the last fights. It wasn't until many years later in the late 90's that I was able to finish the game on PC courtesy of the excellent "Forgotten Realms Archives" compilation. All without this "Goldbox companion" hand holding rubbish too. :D (It's still a cool prog though, so no disrespect intended...)

I rememeber there was a Watcher who posted a fantastic lengthy "let's play" on CoK a few years back which inspired me to try again on C64 with a new party, with no stat modifications and a new batch of disks. I only made it just passed the Ogre Base before stopping but it was so much fun to revisit the game. Any Dragonlance fan would get something out of it, if they haven't already played the series and its associated titles.

One of the Greatest Amazing Games of all time!!! I remember how we watched the battle of our level one newbie characters versus the first draconians with bated breath. We listened to the swing of the sword of our characters anxiously, to determine if it was a hit or miss on the C-64. With the C-64 joystick sword battles were literally fought with our hands, it was a perfect controller!

Then we got into the habit of hex editing the party to have attributes 25 for STR DEX, WIS, INT, etc.. since that was the max coded in for D&D. Then with another neat technique, we swapped floppy disks and saved on the C64 to create multiple magic items of the only one we have found ingame. So all party members were soon decked out in the freshly found magic gear. :D That was a wonderful childhood! :D

35+ years ago there were dudes posting ads in Computer Enthusiast Gaming Magazines in our country selling floppy disks that contained saved God-Level characters for C-64 Bard's Tale III! :D

Last edited:
Are the amiga versions superior? I remember that the amiga version of Pool of Radiance had a very atmospheric intro / camping tune. And maybe slightly better graphics.
I have to try this "Companion".

Amiga is better. Sometimes however idiot developers did a really poor job. But the Pool of Radiance AMIGA I think is the best. Probably Gold Box series too. The only thing I didn't like on Amiga was every enemy had the same death scream. Should have been different screams for monsters. But HW limitations, of course..

I've never played the Amiga versions myself, back in the day I played the commodore releases. The versions on great old games are fine and worked perfectly for me. So I'm not sure which is actually better, but the games themselves are well worth playing, however you lay your hands on them.

I tried this game and found the combat fine. The story on the other hand was terrible! I soon gave up on it.

Daniel.

If only someone would work on a SSI Gold Box Remaster, Enhanced Edition, something...

I have fond memories playing each one on my Commodore 64 so long ago.

Seriously Greygore, that's been my dream for many a year, now. Knights of the Chalice comes to closest to date, imo, but having the real thing would be super sweet. Santa, are you listening?

Back
Top Bottom