The Walking Dead !!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
2hrs 20min hours til the premiere. The jack o lanterns will be put on top of the television, and the lights will go down.

I dont know about you, but we're psyched up about this one. I hope it's good!

It was great.

I'm glad it's on amc, it might have a chance of surviving niche ratings. Sure would be nice if it keeps going for many many years.

It was great!! I don't get AMC over here so I had to watch it on the computer, but still fantastic. It is very faithful to the comic. The parts it did add that weren't in the comic only enhanced the narrative. It was more gory than I thought they'd do for television and there were a few risks taken.

For example:

In the beginning when he meets the little girl zombie and the camera zooms in on him as he fires his gun. I thought that would be it. There would be no way that they would show a little girl getting shot in the head, but then right after the zoom in it switched back to the little girl showing her taking a bullet to the head.

I thought, "No way! They just showed that!" I would bet there are going to be a few mothers calling in about that one and that poor horse at the end. Idiot sheriff promised the horse he'd be safe ;)

The sets are amazing. My jaw dropped when he stepped out of the hospital. The hospital looked like it had just gone through a war. It couldn't of been any better even if this was a hollywood movie.

The acting is spot on as well. Another added scene that wasn't in the comic was when the sheriff loses it when he gets home. Great scene. You could really feel his pain as he tries to come to grips with what has happened. The main character is exactly what I imagined. Even down to the voice.

One of the best TV shows I've seen. Lots of zombies sure, but just like in the comics the real story is with the characters. Nothing like the Resident Evil movies where the whole story reloves around the monsters and action. Absolutely a great show.

Yeah, I was pretty into it. Not disappointed at all, and like you I'm quite surprised at the level of violence and gore. Ive watched a few movies on AMC and they were pretty cut up. This is full bore decomposing zombies, blood flying, gut rippin, gunshots to the head... old school zombie horror 101. And theyre shamblers too, yay!

The hospital was really creepy. They took care in the making of this it seems to make it genuinely disturbing at times, instead of just a fun zombie shoot-em-up romp. It did get suspenseful at times, but that's not all it is. This is desolation and despair, the apocalypse told from the viewpoint of the unlucky survivors. At least that's what I'm getting so far, I hope it stays this good.

In an effort to keep you watching, AMC seems really eager to throw spoiler-heavy previews and commercials out there. I have to be mindful to look away when they start pulling that. Had many a movie spoiled because they slap you in the face with opener, main plot point, and finish all in one ten second clip!

Made me want to play some Left4Dead!

I'm going to stop short of saying it was "great", although I enjoyed it, and I definitely plan on watching it every week.

My only problem was how unoriginal many of the scenes were, especially him waking up in a hospital with no knowledge of what was happening, which was ripped from '28 Days Later'. I understand it's an adaption of the comic, but still…

I agree about the special FX though, absolutely stunning for a television series. The scene with the partially decomposed "crawler" rivaled anything I've seen in a big budget film.

I just felt that the emotional impact of this human tragedy was really brought to bear on the screen. Strangest of all, I felt sympathy for the crawler. Great name, by the way for a punk song… "Sympathy for The Crawler"

Jessica didnt get it. My impression was that to her, it was just another zombie gross-out. And it was that and more, but perhaps I'm just overly excited about the whole thing.
She said, as soon as he had emerged from the hospital and ran across the remains of the military operation "why didnt he stop and grab a gun"? Because he was in total, utter shock. Was this even real? It cant be, this cant be actually happening… it was all he could do to stagger onward, almost like a zombie himself. Get home. Find my family.

Later on, the woman forever trying the door knob, trying to get back to her loved ones was an especially creepy moment. The husband's torment as he lines her up in the scope to finally put her down for once and for all, but he cant do it. Sure, the pain of people killing their re-animated family and friends has been done a million times. I thought it was a pretty tragic. Surpisingly, the final moments between the Crawler (as it shall henceforth be known) and Rick was a surprisingly "touching" (if that can truly be used) moment between man and zombie. If i may be so bold, it rivaled the meltdown that Bub had when he discovered Dr Logan ("Frankenstein" to his detractors) dead.

"where's he going?" warbled Jessica on the couch next to me while popping a few M&Ms, as Rick made his way back to the place where his first face-to-face with the living dead took place. He scoured the park until he found the crippled wretch, crawling somewhere, anywhere… but ultimately nowhere. What was going on in it's head? Did it remember anything at all of it's former life and self? Who had this been?

In the final moments of the scene when it reaches out to him, I didnt see an aggressive beast trying to attack him. I saw the last vestiges of an utterly destroyed human being's consciousness pleading with him to finally just end it. Destroy me, I beg of you. Stop this insane hunger that drives me relentlessly onward. Quit giving Sammy stuff to type about already.

Rick obliges. With that bullet he cements within himself what has truly happened to the world that he once knew, and what he now must become himself in order to survive this nightmare. Maybe I read too much into that scene, but to me it was one of the most sad and poignant moments I've ever seen in a zombie film.

This is what Romero should have strove for with his hamfisted Land of the Dead-era zombies, in my opinion.

I just felt that the emotional impact of this human tragedy was really brought to bear on the screen. Strangest of all, I felt sympathy for the crawler. Great name, by the way for a punk song… "Sympathy for The Crawler"

She said, as soon as he had emerged from the hospital and ran across the remains of the military operation "why didnt he stop and grab a gun"? Because he was in total, utter shock. Was this even real? It cant be, this cant be actually happening… it was all he could do to stagger onward, almost like a zombie himself. Get home. Find my family.

Later on, the woman forever trying the door knob, trying to get back to her loved ones was an especially creepy moment. The husband's torment as he lines her up in the scope to finally put her down for once and for all, but he cant do it. Sure, the pain of people killing their re-animated family and friends has been done a million times. I thought it was a pretty tragic. Surpisingly, the final moments between the Crawler (as it shall henceforth be known) and Rick was a surprisingly "touching" (if that can truly be used) moment between man and zombie. If i may be so bold, it rivaled the meltdown that Bub had when he discovered Dr Logan ("Frankenstein" to his detractors) dead.

"where's he going?" warbled Jessica on the couch next to me while popping a few M&Ms, as Rick made his way back to the place where his first face-to-face with the living dead took place. He scoured the park until he found the crippled wretch, crawling somewhere, anywhere… but ultimately nowhere. What was going on in it's head? Did it remember anything at all of it's former life and self? Who had this been?

In the final moments of the scene when it reaches out to him, I didnt see an aggressive beast trying to attack him. I saw the last vestiges of an utterly destroyed human being's consciousness pleading with him to finally just end it. Destroy me, I beg of you. Stop this insane hunger that drives me relentlessly onward. Quit giving Sammy stuff to type about already.

Rick obliges. With that bullet he cements within himself what has truly happened to the world that he once knew, and what he now must become himself in order to survive this nightmare. Maybe I read too much into that scene, but to me it was one of the most sad and poignant moments I've ever seen in a zombie film.

This is what Romero should have strove for with his hamfisted Land of the Dead-era zombies, in my opinion.

I could not agree more. Especially about the crawler. Extremely touching moment. One that was also in the graphic novel, but was not expanded upon as it was in the TV show.

The part where he went to the ranch to get some gas and a part of him is still holding onto the past as he shouts out "Hello, anyone home? I'm a police officer. Can I borrow some gas?" Then he goes to the window and he sees what has happened to that family.

Not exactly a touching moment, but a great scene that shows how even what he has seen he still doesn't quite understand what is going on.

I particularly liked the "deal" with the horse. Too bad he still didn't quite get it when he rode into the city. The ending zoom out was perfect where all the zombies looked like ants crawling over the remains of the horse and going to the tank was amazing.

For anyone interested in this show or the novel you can read the first graphic novel for free. It's not an illegal download or anything. It's just a taste to show off what the story is all about and hopefully interest some readers in following the whole series.

BTW, the story only gets better from here. Some of my favorite characters probably won't show up this season. The only way I'll get to see them is if this thing is a hit and they make a second season.

I just saw the first episode a few minutes ago. I have not read the comics, never even heard of the title — damn us Europeans! — and with the opening scene I had my doubts of what I could expect from this serie. Would it be a mindless human/zombie chase? Would it be a chop-'em-up flick? A semi-dramatic tale of a sole survivor? I had no idea. Then the first contact with the little girl.

I was sold.

Amazing pilot! What I particularly liked about the first part was that he didn't speak. You know those movies where people are all alone and they start talking out loud, even though there is no one around (mostly to make the story and thoughts clear for the viewer)? I really liked that they kept it so realistic. He was in utter shock, and by watching how he trailed home I could hear what he was saying inside his head.

The "crawler"-scene; amazing. Never saw such a "touching" human/zombie moment.

Oh, and by the way: "She's" Hot!!

Sarah Wayne Callies, the woman who plays Lori. Maybe during that scene she didn't look that terrific, but if you ever watched Prisonbreak you should know :)!

Last edited:
I very much enjoyed the pilot and caught part of 28 Days Later this weekend.
I have come to realize I'm a sucker for the zombie virus outbreak genre/cliche.

Is the first Left4Dead a good single player game?
Isn't it mainly known for being a good multiplayer game?

zzajin, it's a decent single player game. You choose one of the 4 characters and the other 3 are AI controlled bots that fight along with you (and you definitely want to try and keep them all alive). It's fairly non-stop crazy swarms of zombies but fast moving and with 4 (might be more now) boss type mutant/zombie things that show up occasionally.

For me personally it was too insanely fast paced, but still a pretty good game if you like frantic twitchy gameplay. I imagine it would be a lot more fun online with 3 people you know or that played well as a team. You can probably get it fairly cheap now too (just be sure you have broadband because it will be a large update on steam before you can play).

I'd hit the crawler!

I have no words to how disgusting that image is. Thank you very much for the nightmares ;) It's almost as bad as the "ghoul hooker" in F:NV

I DVR'd the premier but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. But I saw zombie apocalypse and knew I had to watch. Now AMC is worth watching for 2 reasons:
Breaking Bad (which won't be back until 2011 :( ) and now Walking Dead.

Left4Dead is great because the ai bots are not that bad, and the maps are simple enough for them to navigate. I stopped played L4D2 due to the stupid bots not being able to navigate the more challenging maps. If it's a straight shot, that's one thing, but there's maps (such as the roller coaster) where they have too hard a time climbing ladders, staying behind me, staying on the right track (literally). Then the unique infected start pummeling you with their crazy attacks and it's over. It's just too frustrating to die and die again due to stuff like that, especially when you have a good run going and the end is in sight. Maybe I just suck at the game and cant shoot quick and true enough, but when i'm mowing them down pretty much as fast as theyre coming, I tend to think not.

I'd personally like a "creeper" mod for L4DII that turns them all into shamblers, that'd be more my speed.

I played a little MP and it was pretty fun. By then, I was burned out on the game tho.

Interview with Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes)

Q: What have you learned about zombies from doing this series that you didn't know before?

A: Quite a lot actually. Well no, I tell a lie. Nothing. Because I'm kind of discovering the world as Rick discovers it and there are no answers. The genius thing about Robert Kirkman's graphic novel is the fact that he doesn't give any explanations. No one really knows what happened. You've only got personal accounts and I think that's the power of it. It's more about what happens now.

Couldn't agree more, before Kirkman's novel I had a very passing interest in the zombie setting. Then comes along Dead State and I, like a lot of other people, went Uggghhhhh. However, I learned about the novel from reading about Dead State and found out how rich and really untouched this setting is.

Yes, I said UNTOUCHED because all of the zombie flicks of today are not even close to what Romeo started and Kirkman continued. I hope the TV show and novel runs for a very long time.

I'm a fan of Romero and I still think that the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead is among the best of them! Well, I think the original Day of the Dead was awesome, but I haven't seen it in years. Not exactly zombies, but Invasion of the Body snatchers (colour remake, 1978)? Classic. All the modern zombie movies are just weak action flicks and don't "get" zombies. Zombies aren't intelligent, powerful creatures. It's the numbers, the total world spread that makes them dangerous. But I can forgive the Dawn remake for the fast zombie thing.

I had never heard of this new series before. I will definitely go check it out now!!

Anybody here read The Zombie Survival Guide? Better be prepared in case a zombie invasion breaks out, you know. (Hint: ammunition runs out.)

Back
Top Bottom