Kingmaker - Patch 1.1 released

The patch as over 11GB for me! But I had been away for 10 days, so I assume other patches were rolled into it. I have been lucky with bugs so far, so not much changed, although I did notice a few small things are now working. Others, such as certain spells and abilities, remain broken, but they are minor issues. Tristian seems to be back in my court (after ... I retrieved...him...) but I had no cutscene if there was supposed to be one? and now I can't find him in the town. Has he moved elsewhere? I was able to re-appoint him as a councillor in the kingdom interface.

The patch as over 11GB for me! But I had been away for 10 days, so I assume other patches were rolled into it. I have been lucky with bugs so far, so not much changed, although I did notice a few small things are now working. Others, such as certain spells and abilities, remain broken, but they are minor issues. Tristian seems to be back in my court (after … I retrieved…him…) but I had no cutscene if there was supposed to be one? and now I can't find him in the town. Has he moved elsewhere? I was able to re-appoint him as a councillor in the kingdom interface.

Is this after the Betrayer's Flight? Iirc, he should be back at the court and have a new dialogue options available when you initiate the chat. Should be at your throne room (since he is your councillor) or next to Jhod in town near the tavern exit.

Does 1.1 nerf the Wild Hunt in endgame?

Yes, in several ways.
How? I tried before and after the patch, and didn't notice anything in particular. Maybe their instant paralyze thing got nerfed? I was permanently using Freedom against them before and after the patch due to that, so that's the sort of thing I wouldn't notice.

How? I tried before and after the patch, and didn't notice anything in particular. Maybe their instant paralyze thing got nerfed? I was permanently using Freedom against them before and after the patch due to that, so that's the sort of thing I wouldn't notice.
Blind Fighting feat gives immunity to Gaze attacks.
And the removed a couple of Teamwork feats from Wild Hunt Scouts.

I did see some patch note relating to nerfing/balancing wild hunt but I dared not to go back and fight them again. Don't have enough patience right now.

Blind Fighting feat gives immunity to Gaze attacks.
And the removed a couple of Teamwork feats from Wild Hunt Scouts.
Interesting. Perhaps I will have a go at them this time around without buffing myself through the roof. The last time around I got used to popping every available buff before almost every fight with them.

I downloaded it now - GOG had exactly 24 GB, inclusive Patch.

I updated my game version over the weekend, but I'm still not playing it as of yet. I get the feeling that many more patches are yet to come. I'm eager, though, to see what happens in my troll invasion, which is where I was situated when I put the game on hiatus.

I should probably pick this up one of these days but the question is - will i find it as good as everyone sez or a royal turd ?

The question is if you like Baldur's Gate. As many have said this games feels a lot like that, and I don't see Baldur's Gate through quite the rose coloured glasses many here do.

Pillars of Eternity was supposed to be the spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate, but in many ways it is not. It is set in the Renaissance period, not in a true medieval setting. The morality in the game is very grey (which make it like so many other Obsidian games). Most factions have good people or intentions as well as bad. Most conflicts are not between good and bad, but different viewpoints. The game has many mature themes. And of course its not D&D mechanics, even if some elements are similar. The companions for the most part are also very complex and are meant to tie you to part of the lore of the world, or to a particular faction.

Kingmaker is set in a fantastic medieval setting. It has the lighter tone of Baldur's Gate. There are great heroes and dastardly villains. There are good factions and bad ones. I've run into very few "mature" themes so far. The companions are more like comic book characters than conflicted, multifaceted individuals. And it has D&D mechanics. Really it has a story that could have been implemented in a Bioware (of old) D&D game or a Gold Box game. So if you like that kind of thing, it is a very good game. I'm only in 15 hours so far, and from what I can tell its also a huge game.

I liked BG2 a *lot* more than BG. I played both games very late (around 2008/2009); so i was a bit disappointed with some of the conveniences that were available in iceland dale and not found in BG.
-
Is this game closer to BG or BG2 ?

The question is if you like Baldur's Gate. As many have said this games feels a lot like that, and I don't see Baldur's Gate through quite the rose coloured glasses many here do.

Pillars of Eternity was supposed to be the spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate, but in many ways it is not. It is set in the Renaissance period, not in a true medieval setting. The morality in the game is very grey (which make it like so many other Obsidian games). Most factions have good people or intentions as well as bad. Most conflicts are not between good and bad, but different viewpoints. The game has many mature themes. And of course its not D&D mechanics, even if some elements are similar. The companions for the most part are also very complex and are meant to tie you to part of the lore of the world, or to a particular faction.

Kingmaker is set in a fantastic medieval setting. It has the lighter tone of Baldur's Gate. There are great heroes and dastardly villains. There are good factions and bad ones. I've run into very few "mature" themes so far. The companions are more like comic book characters than conflicted, multifaceted individuals. And it has D&D mechanics. Really it has a story that could have been implemented in a Bioware (of old) D&D game or a Gold Box game. So if you like that kind of thing, it is a very good game. I'm only in 15 hours so far, and from what I can tell its also a huge game.

I liked BG2 a *lot* more than BG. I played both games very late (around 2008/2009); so i was a bit disappointed with some of the conveniences that were available in iceland dale and not found in BG.
-
Is this game closer to BG or BG2 ?
It is a mix. It has more exploration than Bg2 but more complex companions than BG1.
It has more C&C than both.
And Kingdom Management is kind of like NWN2 but more.. of everything.

Ok thanks. Last question; how many more patches do you think are required to make it really decent with regards to bugs. I've been reading the various threads so i know there are more bugs later in the game than at the start but still it sounds like there is a huge amount of tweaking and fixes that need to take place (even if it is playable)...

It is a mix. It has more exploration than Bg2 but more complex companions than BG1.
It has more C&C than both.
And Kingdom Management is kind of like NWN2 but more.. of everything.

Ok thanks. Last question; how many more patches do you think are required to make it really decent with regards to bugs. I've been reading the various threads so i know there are more bugs later in the game than at the start but still it sounds like there is a huge amount of tweaking and fixes that need to take place (even if it is playable)…
With 1.1 I think they dealt with most obvious and easy to find bugs.
They are going to do a few more patches to squash any of those they missed out but atm the game is fully playable from start to finish. You should not run into any important bugs anymore.

They are planning a 1.2 patch for Christmas time, I think that one will deal more about polishing the game and improving the Kingdom Management aspect that is fully working but not as polished and fun as it could be.

I've run into very few "mature" themes so far. The companions are more like comic book characters than conflicted, multifaceted individuals. And it has D&D mechanics. Really it has a story that could have been implemented in a Bioware (of old) D&D game or a Gold Box game. So if you like that kind of thing, it is a very good game. I'm only in 15 hours so far, and from what I can tell its also a huge game.

It may seem that way in early hours, but certainly, companions and NPCs has more than just comic book like personality and they go through their own meaningful conflict that may forever change them too. I don't necessarily think depressing, grey storyline contributes to more complex and deep character development.

It may seem that way in early hours, but certainly, companions and NPCs has more than just comic book like personality and they go through their own meaningful conflict that may forever change them too. I don't necessarily think depressing, grey storyline contributes to more complex and deep character development.

Yeah, I like how they have multiple quests and they all have a really great backstory and unique lore. I can actually say I like all 12 companions quite a lot. Just wish mercenaries had some sort of backstory/banter package you could choose for them to bring them more alive. Can't even use them for adviser positions unfortunately.

Indeed, I am just at the beginning of the game but I really appreciate the ones I got. In POE I often had the impression to wander the land with a troop of gothic teens in full angst.

I am also enjoying most of the companions. Definitely an upgrade over PoE1 ones (at least most of them).

Back
Top Bottom