Empire of Sin - Relationship System

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gamasutra Brenda Romero talks about the relationship system in Empire of Sin.

Units can become alcoholics, fall in love with someone else, go insane from continuous violence, and even get a sexually transmitted disease. Each effect has different impacts on characters, if a unit falls in love and unit they fall in love with dies, they may go on a senseless rampage. It could affect their accuracy, their health, and their obedience in combat sequences. All these things, which Romero says are both superpowers and super weaknesses, can vary dramatically from playthrough to playthrough.

"It works the same way it does in the real world. So prolonged exposure to something, right?" Romero said. "People talk about love at first sight but odds are it's not going to work out. Prolonged exposure to a thing can either provoke a trait or cause a trait."

Romero has every character and effect laid out in multiple spreadsheets, including one that lists every character and every trait they have and others that list every trait, the things that affect those traits, and the things that those traits effect.

[...]
More information.

I'm in. Even if it looks sort of sucky later, I'm going to see for myself.

I'm cautious.
Provoke through exposure to cause a trait in RL is usually PTSP or breakdown related, not love at first sight. Or second. I mean… After decades I still have no love for grinding, instead it gives me worse and worse nightmares.

Sure, going loco is in the game, but some things just can't be "positive". Unless the game is fantasy in some other world.

I've been dying for a modern version of Gangsters: Organized Crime. This looks similar but with turn-based combat and Paradox-style NPC relationships, which sounds even better. I hope it turns out that way, but I'm going to have a look myself to make sure. :p

Al Capone XCOM

Nice job. Minus the completely unneeded, disgusting scenes of 'cutting throat with razor', which makes the game very demented Manhunt-like.

The turn based combat might draw me into this at some point, I'll keep an eye out and see what others say about this product. Honestly, a decent combat engine for me can make up for many other failings.

Yep, and if you played Omerta, a bad combat engine can sink a game just as fast.

Back
Top Bottom