Star Citizen Info Thread

Yeah, I think the single player is targeted toward being complete and released before the online is.

What do you guys think of the sign language option? It seems to be mixed - people claim they should be spending resources on more demanding tasks first, but others think some progress is better than none. Glass half full vs half empty, I suppose.

I don't think it's an issue, and I support their decision. They do feed their community constant updates after all, and I wonder if the demand for some kind of content is entitlement or just fair expectations at this point, given the game was entirely community funded.

Really no way to judge. I've got little grasp of how much this is really costing them and just as little grasp on how much this will help. It sure is interesting, though.

That's somewhat exciting to hear, that the single game version is expected to precede the online one. Thanks for giving me a little hope for this project, even though I know we've still quite a wait first.

There's a ton of panels from the recent CitizenCon - but, aside from the main demo - I think the most impressive was definitely the Tony Z panel - which serves as a pretty good demonstration of the level of simulation they're going for:

(It's long and the first half is a little boring, but you need to watch the whole thing to appreciate it fully)

Neat little teaser of SQ42 assets:

Also, 3.8 was released recently - and is ever more playable. The last few major patches have all been unusually playable.

Still far from finished, but at least you can actually progress if you want to - and 3.8 should have platform persistence for the most part.

SSOCS is finally implemented - which means the AI is much improved.

Only a single piece of major tech remains (Server Meshing) - and the rest is pretty much content and iteration on loops.

Planet tech V4 is another major milestone - especially for future content creation.

They also demonstrated the first jump point into a new system (Pyro) - which looked pretty slick.

They must be down to the hardcore faithful by now. The last time I looked at a video from one of their events, it reminded me of a Scientology convention

Happy birthday, Star Citizen!

Oh, what's this? I've got an exclusive new imaginary interview with Chris Roberts!

SirJames: Welcome, Chris!
ChrisRoberts: Thanks for having me.
SJ: So, I suppose we should just get this out of the way. Any idea on a release date?
CR: Yeah, well, shit, dude. You know, it's like. It will be done when its done, you know?
SJ: Now, it has been 8 years. When this project was first announced Dark Souls wasn't even out on PC. Some people might argue that a real developer like From Software could have made 5 successful games in this time and you're just scamming people by selling them their dreams. How would you respond to that?
CR: I wish they'd shut the fuck up! I'm so tired of hearing those lies! Dark Souls is shit. How many ships does it have? ZERO. Bloodborne, Sekiro? ZERO SHIPS. These games are fucking pathetic with a business model I laugh at. It doesn't matter anyway because we have a solid core of hardcore faithful. Most people have spent thousands and subscriptions are going strong. We have new ships for people to buy all the time so there's plenty to keep players happy.
SJ: Did you ever consider just releasing the game as is?
CR: I would never compromise my vision of the game for something as trivial as a release. Even though we all want it to release as soon as possible. I'd love that. Look, all you need to do is check out the new Roadmap and you can see we're literally closer than ever to releasing a beta test. You have to understand, in game development, there are sometimes delays. It's totally normal. We didn't invent delays. In fact, many of the best developers of the best games have used delays to great effect and we don't want to limit ourselves by taking tools off our belt, so to speak.
SJ: Errrr...Yeah. Well, I think that's about all we have time for. Do you have any final remarks?
CR: I just want to thank our wonderful community. Without you none of this would be possible. Seriously, you guys are unbelievable. Don't forget to buy the latest ship and renew your subscription. We still have a long way to go before beta but we're all working really hard on new ships to buy and stuff so you can expect some very, very, very exciting news soon!

Star Citizen has quite a bit in it but they keep trying for more. They desperately need a publisher to just say "it's shipping in three months, finish what you can and cut the rest."

Skyrim will turn 9 next month, so it's technically 8 years old now, too.

Been a while. I think it's time for another exciting SC update!
As I said earlier this year, Squadron 42 will be done when it is done, and will not be released just to make a date, but instead only when all the technology and content is finished, the game is polished, and it plays great. I am not willing to compromise the development of a game I believe in with all my heart and soul, and I feel it would be a huge disservice to all the team members that have poured so much love and hard work into Squadron 42 if we rushed it out or cut corners to put it in the hands of everyone who is clamoring for it. Over the past few years, I’ve seen more than a few eagerly awaited titles release before they were bug free and fully polished. This holiday season is no exception. This is just another reminder to me of why I am so lucky to have such a supportive community, as well as a development model that is funded by people that care about the best game possible, and not about making their quarterly numbers or the big holiday shopping season.

Oooooooh, burn! See, he's just saving it from becoming a 2077. Bet all you naysayers are feeling pretty stupid for ever doubting the beautiful visionary who is Chris Roberts!

Bullshit this game is the largest Ponzi scheme in gaming. So be my guest buy some more micro-transactions for their unreleased game. He needs more hookers and blow.:lol:

You just don't GET it, bro! Maybe if you were an acolyte or higher in the secret inner ring you could understand. Master Roberts loves us and when the world ends I'll drink my coolaid and be transported to another dimension of divine bliss while you'll be stuck here in this false reality of unfaithful playing 2077 car racing missions forever.

They are a good contrast. One released with a lot of bugs while another waits for the game to be, if not perfect, in pretty crazy good shape. Thing is, he's comparing to a game people paid for just a month ago. We should probably compare to something that has been around a lot longer - like Elite: Dangerous.

We should probably compare to something that has been around a lot longer - like Elite: Dangerous.

Great idea!

The new expansion for ED will be adding space legs.

As awesome as it looks, every time I try to get back into ED I just can't get past how time consuming the grind is.

They added fleet carriers to carry all your ships around in your own base but the upkeep cost is so much on those things that you'd have to play all day, every day to afford it. (The thing costs 5,000,000,000 before any upgrades too.)

It's still a great simulator but not the best designed "game".

They are a good contrast. One released with a lot of bugs while another waits for the game to be, if not perfect, in pretty crazy good shape.

That's certainly what he wants you to think, and he's probably ecstatic to surf the boost CP2077's issues gave him. "Waiting" isn't really waiting at all while you're accepting millions upon millions of dollars from customers to play that unfinished game.

CDPR did some shitty stuff, no doubt, but Chris Roberts is the LAST developer on Earth who should be held up as a paragon of consumer friendly practices.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to aim at. Mostly, we see lots of games coming out released early because of budget/publisher pressures. This one doesn't come out because of the lack of budget/publisher pressures! Letting the artists/engineers just develop away until they are completely happy with a product results in no product.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to aim at. Mostly, we see lots of games coming out released early because of budget/publisher pressures. This one doesn't come out because of the lack of budget/publisher pressures! Letting the artists/engineers just develop away until they are completely happy with a product results in no product.

Ah, I see. I think this is a special case, though. There are lots of developers who don't answer to publishers and they still manage to release games. I think with Star Citizen there's an actual disincentive to ever do so. Once they release it, they can't pretend it's going to be more than it ever is. And the money fountain stops.

They could still make newer ships, newer weapons, upgrades, and a convenient in-game money buy-in for those who don't have enough virtual money (not sure those still count as microtransactions, given the prices).
I thought it was already in place, but I haven't checked this game for a long while.

They could still make newer ships, newer weapons, upgrades, and a convenient in-game money buy-in for those who don't have enough virtual money (not sure those still count as microtransactions, given the prices).
I thought it was already in place, but I haven't checked this game for a long while.

They can and do all that now, and charge for all of it piecemeal. If anyone complains about the quality of what they're playing or the 5 fps, they can just say "it's in development."

Back
Top Bottom