What games are you playing now?

There aren't many ways to play Phantasy Star 1 outside of an emulator. Other than the original Sega Master System release, it was part of the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the PS3 and Xbox 360 as an unlockable hidden game. It was also a downloadable title for the Wii's Virtual Console.

My advice is to just play it on an emulator, or better yet, play the Playstation 2 remake via emulator. You have to add an English translation patch to the latter unless you understand Japanese, but it's a simple process.

*Edit* Forgot to mention, there's also a remake and translation patch for Phantasy Star II as well.

Last edited:
What mushrooms you suggest to pair with nintendo emulators?
How much $ is that?

I simply won't do that to my computer, I'll just hope to see it available someday. After I finish Phantasy Star the second, I think I'm pretty likely to go on and replay the third and fourth games again as well. I find these games far superior to most of the new stuff that is coming out these days.

The proper emulators are nice, clean, open-source programs. There's some dodgy sites around emulation where you might catch cooties, but the proper stuff is nothing to worry about.

Been a bit down lately, so I've been trying several games, none of which are sticking.
Examples:
Crashlands: Dull as sawdust; not certain why it gets such a good rating.
Don't Starve: Less dull; nice aesthetic; slightly annoying gameplay. I'll probably return to it some day.
Risen 2: I liked Risen 1, barring the last 25% or so, so this def has potential. I decided to shelve it and come back to it when my mood won't ruin things.

What am I actually playing? Elder Scrolls Online. I gave up on this the first time at about 19th level through boredom, and I've started up again, continuing the same character (Nord Dragon Knight or something). I'm investigating the tedium of Blacksmithing. Click click, create, click, click, dismantle, click click.

Risen One was the best of the series for me, the second Risen is almost as good. The third, however, I didn't care for. I'd give Risen two a shot if you're looking for something fun and involved to play.

Play Dragon Knight Saga. Played it once before in 2012 (had an old save on my disk). To be honest I remember almost nothing about broken valley - i did remember the starter area and I know i remember later parts but i'm amazed how little i remember of the middle. However, it is a lot of fun - surprise that steam reviews are so low. Guess I just like games no one else like.

I've been playing a little of Zavix Tower. It's an incredibly simplistic, randomly generated dungeon crawler w/ grid-based movement and turn-based combat. While it's endearing for a little while, its simplicity combined with lack of saving (it's kind of a rogue-like, but not really), has me wanting to simply replay wizardry or the more recent Starcrawlers.

Still, look into it if you're a fan of blobbers.

large.gif

A warning though - that shaft won't be grinding indefinetly in Eternity2.

Me? I'm chillin' and not playing anything 'xcept wasting time on milking phonegames. TW3 nostalgia kicked in and I can't find any game with similar swordfight coreography. Yet.

tumblr_p1lq29khpP1rp3aeko5_500.gif

Play Dragon Knight Saga. Played it once before in 2012 (had an old save on my disk). To be honest I remember almost nothing about broken valley - i did remember the starter area and I know i remember later parts but i'm amazed how little i remember of the middle. However, it is a lot of fun - surprise that steam reviews are so low. Guess I just like games no one else like.

To me it was pretty meh in…everything. From what I've played, very similar to classic "eurojank" rpg, but without that charm.

Anyways, just started Dead Space I, again. Hard to believe it's from 2008 , this has got be one of The best it-has-aged-well games (thanks to terrific lighting and sound design).

Seems Vampyr was unlocked earlier than expected, so I jumped in for a bit. So far I'm loving what I'm seeing.

Graphically it looks pretty good, to great sometimes. I also love the music, Atmosphere is also great.

The combat system is also surprisingly complex, but I'm still at the beginning. But it seems to have quite a few systems interacting, especially when it comes to upgrading your weapons/tools/abilities. But I'm not expecting God of War level of combat. It's just not that type of game, and the combat system is purely serviceable.

But these are still minor points in Vampyr. The highlight is sure to be the social systems that will come into play later. I haven't reached them yet, but I'm excited. But from what I hear those systems are great. Writing is pretty good so far.

Other issues I'm encountering, is kind of clunky controls when outside of combat. Especially at the beginning. But I kind of learned to work around its quirks.

Anyways, will report back after some more time spent in it.

To me it was pretty meh in…everything. From what I've played, very similar to classic "eurojank" rpg, but without that charm.

Anyways, just started Dead Space I, again. Hard to believe it's from 2008 , this has got be one of The best it-has-aged-well games (thanks to terrific lighting and sound design).

Couldn't disagree more about Dragon Knight Saga. That game has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. The rest of the game wasn't bad either.

I doubt Dead Space will ever grow old for me. I've played through it 3 times and have been thinking of another run through it and DS2 soon.

Seems Vampyr was unlocked earlier than expected, so I jumped in for a bit. So far I'm loving what I'm seeing.

Graphically it looks pretty good, to great sometimes. I also love the music, Atmosphere is also great.

Good to hear. I was looking forward to playing it right away, but my schedule isn't going to allow me to start it until later in the week.

I played Zavix Tower for about two weeks last year, it was pretty entertaining. I agree with the classic game vibe, it has that in spades, and I'm sure that is the main reason I kept playing it.

With all this Vampyr craze, all screaming CYOA.
This gave me an idea, and started playing Joe Dever's Lone Wolf on Switch.
Halfway through the story, great cheesy fun so far.

Yea I remember playing 1/3 of the Lone wolf on a tablet; never finished because I only used the tablet when flying and i stopped using it - one of these days I should finish the game if for no reason to see how the story evolves :)

to see how the story evolves :)
Lemme guess... bad guy dies at the end? ;)

After all these recent games failing big at serious narrative (Pillars, I'm looking at you), it is sooo refreshing to play something so simple. Ahhh, the straightforward 80's fantasy.
Maybe I'll even start reading Feist's Magician books again! :)

Back
Top Bottom