The weird reason I haven't played a Bioware game since 2012

Yep, I'm also in the same boat here. I am a completionist as well and I almost never buy a game until all of the DLC are released and I can buy the whole package as a GOTY (or similar) edition. That's why I haven't gotten ME2, ME3, and DA2. Sure, some of the DLC are mostly cosmetic, but missing them in my library somehow bothers me. And just buying the story-relevant DLCs is still an incredibly bad deal if you take the cost of Bioware points into account.

Please keep in mind that if you think you're necessarily supporting Bioware by buying their games - you're wrong.

You're supporting the investor and he's the one who decides if your support is for Bioware or not. Even then, you're not necessarily supporting more Bioware games of the same nature - because that's also up to the investor first and Bioware sec.

I disagree. Buying Bioware games is clearly supporting Bioware. Bioware aren't funded unless the publisher/owner thinks their games will make a profit.

Sure, you could argue that buying current Bioware funds future Bioware, but it could also be argued that buying current Bioware funds current Bioware, seeing as Bioware paid its programmers/artists/writers/etc. to make the game with the expectation that the game would sell.

Buying Mass Effect 1 pays the publisher for the money they already gave to the developers. It's less about supporting someone than it is paying for the work that was done to create the art I've enjoyed (or disliked as the case sometimes is).

I disagree. Buying Bioware games is clearly supporting Bioware. Bioware aren't funded unless the publisher/owner thinks their games will make a profit.

Sure, you could argue that buying current Bioware funds future Bioware, but it could also be argued that buying current Bioware funds current Bioware, seeing as Bioware paid its programmers/artists/writers/etc. to make the game with the expectation that the game would sell.

Buying Mass Effect 1 pays the publisher for the money they already gave to the developers. It's less about supporting someone than it is paying for the work that was done to create the art I've enjoyed (or disliked as the case sometimes is).

You're of course welcome to believe reality is not reality.

I said it's not NECESSARILY supporting Bioware.

You're not paying Bioware - you're paying the publisher. Bioware don't own these games - they only made them.

The publisher already paid Bioware when they decided to fund the development back in the day - so they've been compensated already.

What you're doing is HOPING that your support for products owned by the publisher means the publisher will agree with you that you're supporting that kind of Bioware game - and not just the potential to do business in whatever way the publisher deems fit.

The publisher could very easily decide sell whatever rights they own for Bioware products because it would make more business sense - and your support could easily be a factor - because maybe they would now get a better deal when selling the rights.

You have zero control what happens from that point on - or what it would mean for the future of Bioware themselves - which would no longer be connected with their own games in any meaningful way.

Also, for instance, if only you bought a Bioware game - I can give you my personal guarentee that the publisher would feel extremely dissuaded from ever funding another Bioware game.

Also, whatever happens in the future as a result of people supporting Bioware games is COMPLETELY up to the publisher so long as Bioware is subject to that publisher - as the publisher is in charge of how to invest.

For instance, even if Bioware was massively successful - it's still up to the publisher whether or not to continue making the same games - or if there was some other way to optimise revenue.

You're incredibly short-sighted if you seriously think buying Bioware game automatically means the publisher will keep funding the kind of game you like - or that success for the publisher would automatically mean success for Bioware. The real world doesn't work like that always.

In fact, you don't need to look beyond what happened to Bioware to understand what I'm saying is true.

Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights were ALL very successful.

Do you think games like Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda represent a natural progression from BG and BG2 - in the way the audience who supported those games would have wanted or expected?

No, which means our support for those old games and their success did NOT translate into more games of the same kind.

Again, you seem utterly incapable of thinking in terms of reality - and you seem intent on this fairy tale concept of buying games = supporting the developer and that kind of game.

You can only hope that's what you're doing - but you have no power in whether it's true or not. You depend entirely on the publisher and how the publisher will interpret your support.

It's way, way more complicated than what you're suggesting.

So after getting an email from EA about an "up to 85% off" sale and Mass Effect/Dragon Age DLC now being available for real money, I thought I'd revisit this thread from last year.

I ended up working out that Mass Effect 2/3 DLC would cost me $144 and Dragon Age 2 DLC would cost me $32.

Now that I don't have to do complicated maths to work that out, and they're on sale, we have the simpler numbers.

Mass Effect 2 DLC: $28
Mass Effect 3 DLC: $32
Dragon Age 2 DLC: $28

Hmmm. Still too rich for my blood but at least I can work that out at a glance now.

Thanks EA, I'll probably have a look next time you have a sale. Halve all those numbers and I'm a real chance of buying at least one of them. Quarter them and I'll almost definitely buy them all as well as Inquisition GOTY and Andromeda.

And for something interesting about that sale (apart from the fact the Mass Effect 2/3 DLC costs 8 times as much as the 3 full games of the Mass Effect Trilogy):

Dragon Age Origins DLC Bundle: $28
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition: $15.

The Ulimate Edition contains everything in the DLC bundle plus the Original Game so even if you just want the DLC buy the Ultimate instead!

Luckily I totally ignore DLCs for my RPGs. I play them, finish them, uninstall them and never go back.

Not so luckily in this case, almost all ME games DLC are cut outs that are integral and important parts of the trilogy. Don't look at me, the decision to impair games and milk fans by separate selling amputated limbs was EA's.

There are thousands of better and superior games out there that don't require the Origin platform, and that aren't affiliated with Electronic Arts, I'd recommend trying a bunch of those instead of most of the games listed here. The exception would be, of course, Dragon Age the first, I'm pretty sure you can get it cheap during a sale, and it is totally worth playing.

ME1 and ME2 do not require Origin. ME3, sadly, does.

Back
Top Bottom