Cyberpunk 2077 - Online Elements confirmed

Cyberpunk was, and probably still is, the #1 game on my most wanted list, but I don't like what I'm hearing from CDP in this regard. While it could be just about anything, the overall tone of the interview indicates they're looking into more than just a tacked-on multiplayer part like the one ME3 had.

They were given a badge of immunity: it will take a lot from them to receive flak.
Their online component thing is either going to be ignored or depicted as well done etc

They were given a badge of immunity: it will take a lot from them to receive flak.
Their online component thing is either going to be ignored or depicted as well done etc

Truth.

But the internet is quick to remove that badge once a company reaches a certain level. It's inevitable IMO. Today's good guys are tomorrow's villains.

A number of games have been doing good things using multiple people without being multi-player. Dragon's Dogma's pawn system jumps to mind. NieR: Automata letting you raise up other players who had died in that spot to help fight for you is another. Some games like Just Cause 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider have let you compare your performance to friends' actions, which has been pretty fun.

Those don't generate any kind of continuous revenue, though. Not like, say, you know.... l00t 80XEZ!!

That's because they've earned the benefit of the doubt so far. There's nothing in CDP's past that would give cause for alarm at this point.

Exactly. They weren't "given" any badges. They earned them.

Truth.

But the internet is quick to remove that badge once a company reaches a certain level. It's inevitable IMO. Today's good guys are tomorrow's villains.

No. As long as they are not doing a mistep, they will be given immunity. As long as their supporters feel they are the center of that studio target audience, they will do good.

What this story tells is that their supporters do not care about SP as online features do not sit with SP.

That's because they've earned the benefit of the doubt so far. There's nothing in CDP's past that would give cause for alarm at this point.

The announcement belongs to the past.
Despite knowing that the focus is no longer SP, people prefer to elude the topic and water it down.

Chronology is uncompromising.

While I personally think much of what people seem to like about CDPR, the company, is really just smart business people doing smart business - there's no denying that their games have all been quality titles.

Until that changes, I don't see a reason to jump to any conclusions about this.

The recent rumors about bad working conditions would seem to be a greater cause for concern - but we all know what rumors are worth when they're not significantly substantiated.

There is no jump to conclusions.

On this site, people complain about the death of SP at the hands of corporations.

This studio used to be committed to SP, they have let people know it is no longer the case.

Calling for the benefit of the doubt when there is no room for doubt already shows the free pass they were given.

Doubt as to what "Online Elements" actually means, which this thread is full of.

Not everyone here auto-hates everything online.

But, yes, CDPR is going to be given a free pass in many cases, due to misplaced loyalty.

It's called being human. Part of being human is that our emotions tend to govern our actions more than not.

No. As long as they are not doing a mistep, they will be given immunity.

Isn't that exactly what most people in this thread are saying? That they will wait and see if a "misstep" has been made? Requiring multiplayer or being centered around it would indeed qualify as such among many people on this forum.

Not everyone here auto-hates everything online.

True… Why would anyone hate for example Dragon Age's online choices setup util? For example. I mean, who remembered where they put old savegames? I certainly didn't.
Or another example, some games offer separate download of 4K textures package I don't plan to use ever yet appreciate I didn't have to download the trash in the first place.

That's why I posted, and probably others, till we hear exactly what online elements CDpr is about, no reason to jump to conclusions and pessimistically assume CP2077 is yet another lootboxes fraud.

It's called being human. Part of being human is that our emotions tend to govern our actions more than not.
I wish emotions governed your series/movies scores.
:p

I don't know about "missteps". If they want to make it some sort of MMO, fair enough, I'll just be disappointed as that's not what I hoped for. If they implement it with real money loot crates and so forth, they'll join the other ratbags on my shitlist.

Isn't that exactly what most people in this thread are saying? That they will wait and see if a "misstep" has been made? Requiring multiplayer or being centered around it would indeed qualify as such among many people on this forum.

No. Stated earlier, this studio was praised for its commitment to SP. The annoucement leaves no doubt they left the SP building to move elsewhere.
There is nothing to wait for, the announcement is enough.
That is a mistep to players who want SP.

It shows that this studio was given a free pass, their clear admission is being reworked, rephrased, redefined to evade their move and keep avoiding to face the deep change in direction.

This story revealed while players say they are committed to SP, they are not.

The mistep that would get this studio to lose the blind support will come from elsewhere.

But, yes, CDPR is going to be given a free pass in many cases, due to misplaced loyalty.

Well placed loyalty, disloyalty is also called being human.

Players prefer to turn the eyes away because the SP side does not matter to them and this studio keeps offering them what they expect. It was not SP.

Well placed loyalty, disloyalty is also called being human.

Players prefer to turn the eyes away because the SP side does not matter to them and this studio keeps offering them what they expect. It was not SP.

Yes, human beings are complex creatures - and they're not all the same.

There's really no need to speak in riddles and add to the confusion.

It sounds like you're trying to say that people can't enjoy both SP and online elements - which would be entirely wrong. I enjoy both quite a lot.

Personally, I tend to look at games and whether they're good or not - before taking single buzz-word features and making them the devil. I tend to avoid having principles about what I like and don't like in terms of such broad categories - though I sometimes fail in that.

As I've often said, principles make you stupid. As soon as you've formed a principle - you've closed part of your mind.

Unless we're talking about instinctual or survival responses, like not jumping into a fire - then that's a very unfortunate state of affairs.

No. Stated earlier, this studio was praised for its commitment to SP. The annoucement leaves no doubt they left the SP building to move elsewhere.
There is nothing to wait for, the announcement is enough.
That is a mistep to players who want SP.

It shows that this studio was given a free pass, their clear admission is being reworked, rephrased, redefined to evade their move and keep avoiding to face the deep change in direction.

This story revealed while players say they are committed to SP, they are not.

The mistep that would get this studio to lose the blind support will come from elsewhere.

Your thinking is far too categorical and absolute. Key word here is implementation.

https://twitter.com/PrettyBadTweets/status/931801651702386689

The original tweet:
CD Projekt are considering “games as a service” for CyberPunk 2077 as part of their drive to make it more "commercially significant."

CDpr responded 5 hours ago:
Worry not. When thinking CP2077, think nothing less than TW3 — huge single player, open world, story-driven RPG. No hidden catch, you get what you pay for — no bullshit, just honest gaming like with Wild Hunt. We leave greed to others.

I guess this means no lootboxes in CP2077. :D

Lemme also be a bit of devil's advocate, thanks to Battlefront 2 lootboxes scandal seems EA's stock suffers 7% drop and no company wants that:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/17/wal...al-media-outrage-over-its-star-wars-game.html
EA's stock is down 7 percent month to date through Thursday compared with the S&P 500's 0.4 percent gain. The gamemaker's shares are still up 42 percent this year.

The company declined to comment for this story.

Of course the keyword is implementation for people willing to give a free pass.

A SP experience is SP. There is no room for online elements.

Online elements like achievements showing online degrade a SP experience. It is all about showing you can get the achievements etc

:confused:

CP2077 *will* have online features.
Will it be just coop or something else we can't know for sure yet - but, if we'll trust CDpr, it won't be some milking scheme that does not belong to videogames.

As for achievements, who cares about that? Certainly not me, as long as those achievements are mostly "grind something x times" or "grind enough to reach some level/$/gametime/etc". I especially loathe those "superultranightmareironmode" achievements.
But I've already said I care only about finished game / sidequests thing.

I can't put exact achievements on my Steam profile. If I could, those would be "completed all sidequests in a game". For some reason uPlay understands my "needs" so badges I use there as decoration state I completed all sidecontent in MMX, dunno in which AC game, dunno in which Anno and in WD2.

Do I care if you'll ever see it? Or someone else? Not really, no. Why do I need those? So I can tell you when we discuss about some quest in a game that I definetly finished it. You, well, didn't. :p

Back
Top Bottom